Pre-Game Talk: Pre-Season Game 3 - 9/30 7:40 PM - Philadelphia @ BRUINS - TNT, 98.5 WBZ-FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Giants play Royals in Victoria on Saturday. Looking forward to reports.
can do, have really good seats too considering what my options were for 3 of us as I treated my father in law to tix as well , I chose one`s in the corner, 13 rows from the ice so I can see the entire surface. I`ll try to take some pics of our boy to go along with my terribly biased report on him if he`s in the lineup:)

The Giants interwebz crew wasted no time putting him in there when he wasn`t just yesterday

Vancouver Giants - Official site of the Vancouver Giants

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Hopefully I will make it to my mom’s in time for the game. I land at 6:30 Boston time.

Fenway, can I stream this online with my cable provider info?

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I've never understood why people think Marchand can't be the net-front/pivot guy on the PP. Sure you want him to be able to skate & shoot, but he's so good in tight and so tenacious, it's not like we're talking about some softie. The option to have Pastrnak & Hall on opposite sides with Bergeron & Marchand controlling the middle of the ice & below the goal-line... that seems good to me lol.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Hopefully I will make it to my mom’s in time for the game. I land at 6:30 Boston time.

Fenway, can I stream this online with my cable provider info?
yes, you should be able to go to the TNT site or their app and log in and I believe it will automatically sign you in with your provider.

Reactions: Alicat

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I've never understood why people think Marchand can't be the net-front/pivot guy on the PP. Sure you want him to be able to skate & shoot, but he's so good in tight and so tenacious, it's not like we're talking about some softie. The option to have Pastrnak & Hall on opposite sides with Bergeron & Marchand controlling the middle of the ice & below the goal-line... that seems good to me lol.
Well that spot is probably associated more with a player of size to provide more of a screen. But I agree, Marchand’s hand-eye, tenacity and stick skills should allow him to get solid tips, even if he isn’t a massive screen.

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Well that spot is probably associated more with a player of size to provide more of a screen. But I agree, Marchand’s hand-eye, tenacity and stick skills should allow him to get solid tips, even if he isn’t a massive screen.

Net front screeners get hacked with sticks in the kidneys, wrists, shins, and head. You usually want someone large and durable to be there.
Not sure we want to risk Marchy like that. Seems like a poor coaching plan to me.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Net front screeners get hacked with sticks in the kidneys, wrists, shins, and head. You usually want someone large and durable to be there.
Not sure we want to risk Marchy like that. Seems like a poor coaching plan to me.
Yeah definitely could be risky long term, but I think Marchand would be good at it despite his size.

It’s annoying not having Hall on PP1 because we wanna see all that talent work together but not sure how great it’ll look running the 1-3-1. Hall will be great for zone entries on PP.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Yeah definitely could be risky long term, but I think Marchand would be good at it despite his size.

It’s annoying not having Hall on PP1 because we wanna see all that talent work together but not sure how great it’ll look running the 1-3-1. Hall will be great for zone entries on PP.

Marchand would be good cycling in center instead of sitting as a screen. If he kept moving he would be less likely to get hacked at. He has the hand-eye coordination as you said to get some nice tip ins. But they are much harder when you are moving and not just parked and set up.

Reactions: The National

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

I think it could be all-world.

Hall made Palmeiri look like a million bucks feeding him passes from the half-wall for one-timers in Jersey. Now you can have two playmaking puck possession wizards in Hall and Marchand mesmerizing defenders rotating down low from the net-front to the half-wall. Doesn't really matter which one is where anymore, now you could rotate mid-play unlike when Ritchie (and others) were down low and Marchand stayed more stationary.

Taylor Hall, when he's on, healthy and motivated is an all-world caliber winger and if he's that for Boston he's wasted on PP 2 IMO. They just don't get enough minutes.

kjpm

Sponsor
May 28, 2011
I think it could be all-world.

Hall made Palmeiri look like a million bucks feeding him passes from the half-wall for one-timers in Jersey. Now you can have two playmaking puck possession wizards in Hall and Marchand mesmerizing defenders rotating down low from the net-front to the half-wall. Doesn't really matter which one is where anymore, now you could rotate mid-play unlike when Ritchie (and others) were down low and Marchand stayed more stationary.

Taylor Hall, when he's on, healthy and motivated is an all-world caliber winger and if he's that for Boston he's wasted on PP 2 IMO. They just don't get enough minutes.

I hope we see this exactly. They've become too stationary since Krug left, when it used to be one reason they were so effective. I'd also like to see McAvoy and Pasta rotate at times to give Pasta a different shooting angle. Just throws a wrench in how to best defend them when they have a few different looks they can throw at you.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Now we need some centers.
For sure but if Stud can be a top 6 center you have a deficiency at one position when Bergie retires. We have no1 D so if we can hold onto McAvoy it makes all the sense in the world to splash for a guy like Barkov or for a poor man maybe Hertl fills the other spot.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I hope we see this exactly. They've become too stationary since Krug left, when it used to be one reason they were so effective. I'd also like to see McAvoy and Pasta rotate at times to give Pasta a different shooting angle. Just throws a wrench in how to best defend them when they have a few different looks they can throw at you.

Yup. Krug and Marchand used to switch out mid-to-high and it would throw defenders off.

They've been using this loaded unit/umbrella set-up now since 2016 and really it may have been at it's best with Eriksson who was another left-handed shot that was skilled enough that he could rotate with Marchand from time-to-time mid PP.

Reactions: kjpm and PlayMakers

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

Before last year we had Debrusk as the net front presence for two years on the top PP unit and it worked perfectly fine. He’s definitely not a large net front presence but it was effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad