Pre-Season Blackout

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
We are the lunatic fringe and would watch. Not so much others .

The shows that are on are nearly zero cost as they are taped and only require a tech at a studio to press a button. It's apples and oranges.

Really, it comes down to making money. Nothing more, nothing less.[/QUOTE]

Again, bang on.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
If NESN can send 1000 people to Florida and cast Spring Training for a month, they can send a crew to Detroit/Long Island/Montreal to broadcast a game...

People are dying for Bruins hockey. The Patriots are barely winning against ****** teams. The Celtics are irrelevant for another 5 years. The Red Sox just had an incredibly forgettable season. Unless the Patriots kick it up it's going to be a Bruins fall, winter, and spring.

I get it's expensive, but they're raising ticket prices on us. That's expensive. Don't see why they can't suck it up.

To paraphrase Wally, if the Sox, or Patriots, fart, it's breaking news. "Sad but real." Hockey, even in Boston, is simply not as popular with the sports media or casual fan as the Sox, or certainly the Patriots, these days.

Go ahead and complain to NESN, NHLN, et. al. That might be productive. Otherwise, it's like wishing TSH would cover camp a bit rather than inane Patriots blather in excruciating detail 24/7.

:banghead: = :banghead: Life's too short, at least for me.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
The blackouts are a slap in the face to the fans and they do it every year. I know we're on the fringe but it can't cost that much to steam the games. Hell, I'd even pay to watch, like Fasthockey or AHL/WHL/OHL Live.

Bill, can you post your response to the B's cutting Seth Griffith in the "Cuts" thread? I'd appreciate your take.

Greyhounds

Sep 30, 2005
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
The blackouts are a slap in the face to the fans and they do it every year. I know we're on the fringe but it can't cost that much to steam the games. Hell, I'd even pay to watch, like Fasthockey or AHL/WHL/OHL Live.

Either allow NHLN to show the game here, since no one else is televising it, or just pick up the feed from NHLN and put it on NESN+. I don't see much in the way of cost, for either of those options.

I wouldn't pay to watch. It's just a stupid pre-season game, mostly with a bunch of guys pretending to be the Bruins, but it would have been nice to have it available, especially since the rest of the country had video access, outside of New England.

Bruins approach to this is archaic, and reminiscent of Wirtz in Chicago. Very surprised when I tuned in, only to find it blacked out here.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Kelly23

Pedroia and Drew
Nov 4, 2010
Boston
How long is the blackout period I thought it was 24 hours but the replay of the Caps game today at 5pm was still blacked out.

And maybe if Nesn played the preseason they would gain more fans to watch the actual season and get the money back that way.

Also how can NESN be so bad on Red Sox games the score is only on in the behind the pitcher angle and gone 75% o the game.

Ticker on the bottom of the screen during Bruins games.

They also care more about the celtics than the bruins as thy are featured on the nightly sports show more.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
At the risk of being labelled a hater, I have to say that the blame ultimately needs to go right to the top: Jerry Jacobs. He doesn't do anything for the fans unless he is persuaded. IF the team didn't stink out the joint so much so often MOC would still be here fouling up every team, every year. But, the fans voted with our feet and stopped buying tickets, JJ did what he had to do, he fired MOC, put Sinden out to pasture and allowed the management team under the tutelage of his son Charlie to rebuild. $$$$ IS all what it's about, we all know that. If JJ were interested in the actual game and the team as more than a business concern it'd be great but he doesn't. If he picked up the phone and shook a few branches we'd see some action....FFS he's a major player in the league, a mover and shaker but when it comes to those of us who spend the money, worship the team and live and die by their every move, game and decision this should not even be a discussion. JJ could find a way IF he WANTS to. We need to get to HIM and HIS and make them understand how aggravating this is for us die-hards. We need to get the message to him so that this is the last preseason that he allows us to be treated this way....Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007

Exactly. You can't tell me that many people watch the Twins vs Red Sox spring training games.

rudos1

Oct 22, 2009
I was pretty upset Friday night when I realized that NHL network was not going to show the game locally. Other teams have ALL their preseason games available one way or another. This makes the Bz look bush league...

Altamira

Sep 20, 2013
Massachusetts
I live too far away from Boston to allow streaming of a game on the Bruins' website..........but I live too close to watch Bruins games on NHL Network or NHL Gamecenter.

:cry:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad