GDT: Pre-Season #6: Thu, Sept. 26 2019, FLYERS at Rangers, 7:00 pm ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
I'd take Coots over Poulin and Brind'Amour, no question. Brindy was terrific but the absolute definition of perfect No. 2 center behind a superstar No. 1, barring extreme cases like Messier in Edmonton or Malkin, where they'd clearly be No. 1 on any other team.

Might be unfair to Brind'Amour because he rarely had wingers as good as G/TK or Propp/Kerr. I'd prob take Poulin over Brind'Amour but it's very close.

FWIW I always thought that Coots would be this type of player, ever since he was 19. But the past two seasons he's been better than I ever imagined. I feel like he's good enough to be the best player on a SC winning team, and I never had that sense with Brindy.
Well stated.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
I’ll also say, I enjoy that Morin is focusing on playing a solid game instead of chasing hits.

I’m sure it must be tempting to go out there and just destroy, but that’s not how he’s going to earn a spot in this league.

Reactions: PhlthyRich

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Actually cray cray that Farabee doesn't have 2-3 goals this preseason. He picked a good time to have his best game though.

Never really noticed how tough it is to get the puck from Hayes when he's coming into the neutral zone. Knew he was a good passer. Watching him as a fan, I have pretty high confidence that when he's carrying the puck, something good is going to happen.

It's his patience with the puck. When he has it on his stick, he's a good smart passer, but he plays with zero panic. He will take every second he needs to make the play, and then use his body to protect the puck and buy another couple seconds. He's also unafraid to pass backwards, and most of the time he's almost daring the defender to get sucked onto him to make the short entry pass.

He's a deceptively good N-S mover for his size -- long limbs, heavy build and all -- although I think Couturier is a bit faster and more agile with the puck up ice. In public tracking, their possession entry % is basically identical the last 3 years (~74 percentile), but Couturier is mostly stable year-to-year, whereas Hayes has jumped to 85/86th percentile the last 2 seasons (although in less than half the games tracked tbf). Probably attribute that to Hayes' passing and patience. Couturier is a little more attack based off the rush, me thinks.

Reactions: PhlthyRich

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Incidentally he never makes any of these lists as his career was too short, but I'd
Well stated.

Honestly I think, based on a per-game basis, Primeau was a more dominant player. Of course his career was shortened and Carolina won the trade, and it's funny to think how different the two teams' fates would be different if that deal doesn't happen, up to today with Rod coaching the 'Canes.

Of course this is heavily biased by one memorable playoff run, but Primeau absolutely carried the team the team. We got to see Brind'Amour quite often with Lindros out of the lineup, and he just wasn't THE GUY.

Brindy was an absolute ironman and durability/longevity matter too though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad