Pre-Lottery Mock Drafts

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Sorry but its not true. He wasn't very good in defensive firecheck against the cycling but he covered a lot if ice and it worked really well situationally even if his first year in nhl.

Catton isn't there yet. He isn't good in defensive positioning, he us avoiding physical battles and his lower body positioning without the puck us an issue. Stuzle and Hughes were two body ahead of him in positioning without the puck. Stuzle was very good forechecker. And both were and are much better net drivers. Catton is perimeter playmaker. And he is worser skater than both. He isn't on the level of high pace as Stuzke and he isn't as 4 way mobile from the start as Hughes.

It's just not the same level now. But I easily can imagine he will continue to play center. Especially for Jackets or Montreal. I just don't see good enough 200 foot impact. But I velieve he should be very productive. He is better skater than Rossi and Perfetti. He shouldn't have any problem in nhl with his skating.
Hughes wasn’t even a PK’er on his own junior team. It wasn’t even clear that he was 5’10. He famously refused draft measurements at the combine. I believe at the U18 Worlds where we get face off data he was like 30’s or low 40’s. He couldn’t have been more than 160’s range for how many pounds he weighed.

Great offensive player. Let’s not make him out to be better defensively than he was. No one’s calling Catton great defensively, but he’s far from bad and there have been recent players who stayed at center without having defensive attributes for center. Catton is also over 50% on face offs this year. He’s at least 5’11. He has the defensive effort. I don’t see why he’ll be moved off center.

Reactions: BernieParent

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I think the Habs will pick Iginla. I'm not making fun of them and saying they'll reach, I think it's a great pick and he'll be a really good player. Apparently, they've met with him 4 times already. I wouldn't mind the Sens getting him, although if one of the top RD is still available, like Parekh, that'll be their pick.

I also think the Habs are going to take Iginla and I'm not mad about it. I thinks he's gonna be a good player.

Reactions: Blueswin

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Silayev wouldnt have played a full season in the 2nd best league of the world if his decision making wasnt there. I see a kid who defended extremmely well given the level of competition he was facing and made the simple smart effective passes to get out of his zone, he was pretty good under pressure too, something scouts take note, he could also skate the puck up ice at times and the way he handled himself overall in the KHL was really really impressive. He can handle the puck, but as a 6.7 kid who hasnt filled out yet, the coordination will get better has he matures and get his man strength, I see a defending monster who will shine even more of smaller ice and while his offensive tools are a bit raw, its there and will get better.
Again. Im talking about his decision making with the puck specifically. I saw lot of just simple or even mistakely simple moves. In KHL and in MHL. I his puck management is a thing why he wasnt as productive on MHL level before and this year. So what is working on his levels, could not work as well on NHL level. So thats a reason im temper my expactations.
Im not really REALLY interesting what other scouts are talking. Of course I listen to them, but I would not be myself to not trust my eyes. Its not the first time when Im not fully agree with some analysis.

And he is existing not in Vacuum. There are other players who are big, mobile and better puckhandlers. Of course Levshunov is making his own mistakes, Dickinson isnt playmaking defenseman or defensive positional high IQ brain, or Buium isnt great skater backward, ut there are some other aspects we can compare in favor of other defensemen. I can understand arguments for Yakemchuk too, even if I like Silayev more.

Reactions: coooldude

Grinner

May 31, 2022
Damn it - when I got to around 10 it felt like I was forgetting someone lol. I think he goes around the 8-10 range. Honestly I would probably put him in the NJ pick and slide everyone else back one, Jiricek stays at 14 SJ could use a D.

Seattle or Calgary could also potentially take him
Need or not
Drafting Jiricek at 14 is a reach
RW is also a need for SJ. Give me MBN any draft day at 14

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
I think Catton is built like Hughes and Stuetzle. Both are playing center. Bedard is also at center. The requirements to be an NHL center now are different than 10 years ago.

?

Hughes and Stutzle are very different builds.
Stutzle is legit 6’ and about 200lbs

I’d be surprised if Hughes is more than 180 and I’m sure he’s not 6’

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Hughes wasn’t even a PK’er on his own junior team. It wasn’t even clear that he was 5’10. He famously refused draft measurements at the combine. I believe at the U18 Worlds where we get face off data he was like 30’s or low 40’s. He couldn’t have been more than 160’s range for how many pounds he weighed.

Great offensive player. Let’s not make him out to be better defensively than he was. No one’s calling Catton great defensively, but he’s far from bad and there have been recent players who stayed at center without having defensive attributes for center. Catton is also over 50% on face offs this year. He’s at least 5’11. He has the defensive effort. I don’t see why he’ll be moved off center.
Who cares about PK and combines of Hughes? Im talking about covering the zone, read the play in D zone from center, positioning himself etc. It was starting to exist in his game right from the start not because he didnt do that.

In case of Catton - he isnt classic net driver, at least in case of how it is going on in NHL. Lidstrom is, Nygard is, Celebrini is, even Helenius and Chernyshov(im not telling he should be or could be NHL center). Even Iginla(but I dont think he is a canter from the other aspects). Catton is using puckhandling and its much harder to use it from the center because centers are playing against more players in the same time, or if they are using it, it should be more manipulating style like Lindstrom or McKinnon or Hughes are doing.
So even if we are talking about putting Catton on the dot, he will continue to slide on the sides on NHL level, will start to play his game by turning his speed and trying to separate himself by a stickhandling and using it for making plays from the perimeter. Good example is Jesper Bratt - the guy who is faster and better skater with manipulative moves. Or Panarin as I said before. If we can call it "playmaking center" than okay I dont see a problem. But when Im talking about "center" Im trying to search a player who will cover a lot of ice in all three zones, who will be the first forward in forecheck in any zone, who will drive the net by a power move or by manipulative move or by a short pass and finding open ice right after. Who can play on the slot. There are a lot of specific duties on the center shoulders. Of course it could be my problem of my personal expectations. I would not arguing against it.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
I don’t think he is much better. Catton is very perimeter, Helenius is net driver, at least better net driver. I understand potential of Catton, I do really think that his ceiling could be on Panarins level, but as a two way center Helenius looks better because of his IQ, positional game in all three zones and better interior game. Of course average skating and lack of size is an issue for potential top 6 center, but I think he is smart enough and has real potential to be something between Suzuki and Benson.
Naturally, this is a question of how much we perceive the minimum acceptable level for certain skills, how we rank this skills. I rank high IQ with average skating higher than good skating with above average IQ. But I understand arguments in other way.
Don't know where this idea of Catton being a perimeter player originated, he literally cuts to the inside probably 75% of the time on zone entries and is not afraid to play in traffic.

Reactions: Rozz

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Don't know where this idea of Catton being a perimeter player originated, he literally cuts to the inside probably 75% of the time on zone entries and is not afraid to play in traffic.
Its not all that true and like I said part of what he is doing will not work on NHL levelagainst NHL defensemen. Of course on my eye. I can be mistaken. Its normal.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
?

Hughes and Stutzle are very different builds.
Stutzle is legit 6’ and about 200lbs

I’d be surprised if Hughes is more than 180 and I’m sure he’s not 6’
Now they might be. Stuetzle was listed consistently under 190 pounds before being drafted. Ranged from the 160's-180's depending on the source. There was no 2020 combine, so we don't know official measurements.

Hughes might be a more extreme example of thin and not that tall, but that also applied to Stuetzle, to an extent.

Who cares about PK and combines of Hughes? Im talking about covering the zone, read the play in D zone from center, positioning himself etc. It was starting to exist in his game right from the start not because he didnt do that.

In case of Catton - he isnt classic net driver, at least in case of how it is going on in NHL. Lidstrom is, Nygard is, Celebrini is, even Helenius and Chernyshov(im not telling he should be or could be NHL center). Even Iginla(but I dont think he is a canter from the other aspects). Catton is using puckhandling and its much harder to use it from the center because centers are playing against more players in the same time, or if they are using it, it should be more manipulating style like Lindstrom or McKinnon or Hughes are doing.
So even if we are talking about putting Catton on the dot, he will continue to slide on the sides on NHL level, will start to play his game by turning his speed and trying to separate himself by a stickhandling and using it for making plays from the perimeter. Good example is Jesper Bratt - the guy who is faster and better skater with manipulative moves. Or Panarin as I said before. If we can call it "playmaking center" than okay I dont see a problem. But when Im talking about "center" Im trying to search a player who will cover a lot of ice in all three zones, who will be the first forward in forecheck in any zone, who will drive the net by a power move or by manipulative move or by a short pass and finding open ice right after. Who can play on the slot. There are a lot of specific duties on the center shoulders. Of course it could be my problem of my personal expectations. I would not arguing against it.
There are different parts that matter. Catton has some of them, and he has some things to work on.

My point is that he doesn't need to be good in every area of defense for a center at his age. There have been plenty of players who weren't, and still were able to stay at center.

Reactions: Guadana

Ohlle

Aug 19, 2017
I always like the Pre-rankings for the NHL-Draft because the NHL teams always seem to f*** it up.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
1. SJS: Celebrini
2. CHI: Demidov
3. ANA: Levshunov
4. CBJ: Dickinson
5. MTL: Catton
6. Utah: Yakemchuk
7. OTT: Buium
8. SEA: Silayev
9. CGY: Lindstrom
10. NJD: Iginla
11. BUF: Jiricek
12. PHI: Helenius
13. MIN: Eiserman
14. SJS: Parekh
15. DET: Brandsegg-Nygard
16. STL: Connelly
Cool with it.

Assumed order remains the same. If Chicago picks Levshunov which I think is the most likely possibility, I could realistically see a swap between Anaheim and Montreal as the Ducks should be able to get whichever of the next two RD at #5 while getting an asset or two, I just don't think they'll go for Demidov or Lindstrom. If Chicago takes Demidov, scrap everything that follows lol

1. SJ- Celebrini
2. CHI- Levshunov
3. MTL- Demidov
4. CBJ- Lindstrom
5. ANA- Yakemchuk/Parekh
6. UTA- Silayev
7. OTT- Parekh/Yakemchuk
8. SEA- Buium
9. CGY- Iginla (could and probably should be Dickinson but I don't think they'll resist the temptation for the storyline, they'll use the late 1st on a D)
10. NJ- Catton
11. BUF- Dickinson
12. PHI- Eiserman
13. MIN- Helenius
14. SJ- Jiricek
15. DET- Greentree

Edit: Completely forgot Catton initially
Cool with it.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
2. CHI: Buium
3. ANA: Silayev
4.CBJ: Demidov
5. MTL: Lindstrom
6. Utah: Eiserman
7. OTT: Levshonov
8. SEA: Iginla
9. CGY: Dickinson
10. NJD: Greentree
11. BUF: Parekh
12. PHI: Connolly
13. MIN: Boisvert
14. SJS: Catton
15. DET: Yakemchuk
16. STL: Helenius

I'm basing it off who I see being taken at that spot

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
1. Sharks: C Celebrini

2. Blackhawks: W Demidov
3. Ducks: RD Levshunov
4. Blue Jackets: W/C Catton
5. Canadiens: C Lindstrom
6. "Coyotes": LD Buium
7. Senators: RD Parekh
8. Kraken: LD Dickinson

9. Flames: C Helenius
10. Devils: W Eiserman
11. Sabres: RD Emery
12. Flyers: LD Silayev
13. Wild: W Iginla
14. Sharks: RD Yakemchuk
15. Red Wings: W Bransegg-Nygard
16. Blues: W Greentree

Reactions: EddieTheEagle

Infant of Spain

Tackling for Macklin
Jul 20, 2022
I think the hawks will pick Demidov. They can do it. Usually everyone is overreacting with the defenders 2OA and chicago needs high end talent

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

If you are thinking that MN will take Boisvert over Catton and Helenius because of his size, then know that they already did that last year when they picked Stramel. So far, it's blown up in their faces, so i don't see them repeating that mistake. Even if they did opt for size, it would be for Yakemchuk, he is big, and physical(Boisvert is not).

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
I can see a Kravtsov/Seider kind of jump out of Surin. He’s been outstanding and plays center. He could jump into the top 10

Reactions: majormajor

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018

Can’t tell if it’s the Winnipeg bias or not but I’d hope MIN doesn’t pass on Catton / helenius / Yakemchuk for boisvert

I’m very skeptical Demidov will go as high as people have him mocked

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Like I said before, Demidov the has trifecta of characteristics that make players fall on draft day.

1) Smaller winger
2) Not the fastest skater
3) Russian

It only takes one team however to feel he's the next Panarin and boom, he's picked.
I agree, Though I would say the next Kaprizov instead of Panarin.

If your draft had the habs drafting Demidov/Lindstrom at 5, I like you
who's next on your list if those guys are already taken?

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I agree, Though I would say the next Kaprizov instead of Panarin.

who's next on your list if those guys are already taken?
Iginla/Catton
Catton/Iginla
Dickinson
Levshunov, but he's least because he's the least likely to be there out of the 4. I imagine he's the 1st d taken, top 3.

I'm really hoping the Habs can grab a forward and then with the Jets pick potentially get a guy like Elick who's ranked in that area right now.

Get a good forward prospect and then add another RHD prospect.

Reactions: Rozz and Xirik

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
2. CHI: Demidov
3. ANA: Buium
4.CBJ: Eiserman
6. Utah: Levshunov
7. OTT: Parekh
9. CGY: Yakemchuk
10. NJD: Helenius
11. BUF: Dickinson
12. PHI: Silayev
13. MIN: Sennecke
15. DET: Brandsegg-Nygard
16. STL: Jiricek

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Like I said before, Demidov the has trifecta of characteristics that make players fall on draft day.

1) Smaller winger
2) Not the fastest skater
3) Russian

It only takes one team however to feel he's the next Panarin and boom, he's picked.
I remember seeing something about the NFL, where statistically, players who get drafted way after the media consensus tend to be busts/disappoint, and players who get drafted way above the media consensus also tend to disappoint and be busts.

Takes 1 team to reach, and it could likely be a bad pick, but on the other hand if a bunch of front offices are passing on a guy compared to what the media consensus is, they have all likely seen/spotted something the media hasn't.

I imagine the same applies at the NHL level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad