Pre-Game Talk: Pre game post series talk game 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I could be wrong, and I like rnh more than a lot of people, but his line was out for a couple of the goals against right? Can't have that.
I wan't impressed with them on the first but the second was all on the defense and to a lesser extent Smith. LA dumps in. Russell does a blind rim to no one. LA picks it up, Russell chases too far right at first making Barrie second guess whether to switch or hold his position, then Russell changes his mind and goes to the right spot and Barrie doesn't recover leaving his guy wide open as the player behind the net gets Smith to bite on the potential wrap around.
Post automatically merged:

Rangers just reminded everyone that elite goaltending doesn't guarantee shit
Bested by a goalie coming in cold in double OT after he just finished eating a meal of spicy pork and broccoli.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
you need to get out more
_Please. Outside of Ice district where are you seeing typical playoff atmosphere? In past playoffs the sounds of cars honking and going down the street was constant pretty much everywhere. This is a lot different. I mean I'm talking in neighborhoods, the enthusiasm used to be palpable around the city.

I wonder if starting playoffs on a Monday was also a mistake. I mean its not exactly a party and kick it up kind of day. By weekend the series will shift to LA which is kind of sad. Then Edmonton gets another early week date.

This must suck for bar owners and establishments. Our first 3 playoff days are on a Monday, a Wednesday, and a Tuesday. LA gets the two weekend days for home games.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
I mentioned this before playoffs started but its amazing how little of a playoff feel there is in the burbs and around Edmonton. I'd expect you'd find the buzz in entertainment district but nowhere else. Just not feeling the Civic response at all this time. Really kind of weird. One car I've seen in whole neighborhood with an Oilers flag.

I just don't think theres a ton of fans and civic support anymore.

I think most of the fans in Edmonton are in the prove me you guys aren't a bunch of playoff f*** ups. As they've kind of developed this reputation over the last couple of years.

I know I have absolutely 0 faith in them winning a game in the third period that's close. Game 1 was the litmus test that they failed in the same fashion they've failed every other playoff game over the last 2 years. Nobody wants to raise their hopes when the team fails them repeatedly the same way.

Game 1 against L.A

Connor McDavid was awesome..... Phillip Danault was better. Danault took RNH's line to the woodshed and beat them for fun.

It's not a slam on McDavid at all. But it's the reality. The best player on the ice last game played for the Kings.

Watching Edmonton I don't know to be mad or feel sorry for them. But I do know that the closer the game stays and the closer it gets to the end of the game. This feeling or expectation that someone on Edmonton will make a poor play to lose the game, rather than a great play to win it is there. I feel it, everyone I watch the game with feels it. And honestly I think the Oilers feel it which is the real shitty part.

I wan't impressed with them on the first but the second was all on the defense and to a lesser extent Smith. LA dumps in. Russell does a blind rim to no one. LA picks it up, Russell chases too far right at first making Barrie second guess whether to switch or hold his position, then Russell changes his mind and goes to the right spot and Barrie doesn't recover leaving his guy wide open as the player behind the net gets Smith to bite on the potential wrap around.

Bested by a goalie coming in cold in double OT after he just finished eating a meal of spicy pork and broccoli.

Even if they never scored on RNH's line. It was utterly dominated by them. I was shitting bricks every time RNH's line took the ice.

Reactions: Duke74

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
_Please. Outside of Ice district where are you seeing typical playoff atmosphere? In past playoffs the sounds of cars honking and going down the street was constant pretty much everywhere. This is a lot different. I mean I'm talking in neighborhoods, the enthusiasm used to be palpable around the city.

I wonder if starting playoffs on a Monday was also a mistake. I mean its not exactly a party and kick it up kind of day. By weekend the series will shift to LA which is kind of sad. Then Edmonton gets another early week date.

This must suck for bar owners and establishments. Our first 3 playoff days are on a Monday, a Wednesday, and a Tuesday. LA gets the two weekend days for home games.
I don't ever remember that in 2017 and I went to Game 1 against the Sharks (fittingly a loss as well)

I work near Whyte and saw plenty of Oilers jerseys there on Monday...then went the Tailgate party in Ice District where it was of course packed
didn't even mention the bars which have been filling up plenty with Oiler fans

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think most of the fans in Edmonton are in the prove me you guys aren't a bunch of playoff f*** ups. As they've kind of developed this reputation over the last couple of years.

I know I have absolutely 0 faith in them winning a game in the third period that's close. Game 1 was the litmus test that they failed in the same fashion they've failed every other playoff game over the last 2 years. Nobody wants to raise their hopes when the team fails them repeatedly the same way.

Game 1 against L.A

Connor McDavid was awesome..... Phillip Danault was better. Danault took RNH's line to the woodshed and beat them for fun.

It's not a slam on McDavid at all. But it's the reality. The best player on the ice last game played for the Kings.

Watching Edmonton I don't know to be mad or feel sorry for them. But I do know that the closer the game stays and the closer it gets to the end of the game. This feeling or expectation that someone on Edmonton will make a poor play to lose the game, rather than a great play to win it is there. I feel it, everyone I watch the game with feels it. And honestly I think the Oilers feel it which is the real shitty part.

Even if they never scored on RNH's line. It was utterly dominated by them. I was shitting bricks every time RNH's line took the ice.
Agreed with everything here. The team is poorly constructed. Goaltending being most important position in hockey and a token after thought here. Center and D being most important. But I've always subscribed that Centers have to have a lot of dig down game in them, like a Danault. Its something not always appreciated but in a Center tenacity is a valuable ingredient. Nuge has never been that, and never could really be an effective Center in topsix play. The current is just too hard for his weaksauce approach. RNH is effective at times in regular season because you can just be clever and pick some pockets and steal some lunch money here and there. But when its playoffs, for all the marbles the dominant players will have more effect. Its when a physical aspect is much more important where player A just pushes player B off the puck all day. The Danault line was owning and they didn't have Arviddson.

Anyway I've stated before with this club I'm in show me territory by now. They didn't show me in game 1 and the team shows that it has trepidation and isn't round games in big moments.

Tonight the Oilers really need to get the first goal and come out better. But LA will know how important this game is too. If LA is pleased with the split they will potentially lose the series. If LA somehow pulls out another W the Oilers are obviously in deep shit. So that an Oilers team that has difficulty with playoff pressure is now facing more in game 2.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Agreed with everything here. The team is poorly constructed. Goaltending being most important position in hockey and a token after thought here. Center and D being most important. But I've always subscribed that Centers have to have a lot of dig down game in them, like a Danault. Its something not always appreciated but in a Center tenacity is a valuable ingredient. Nuge has never been that, and never could really be an effective Center in topsix play. The current is just too hard for his weaksauce approach. RNH is effective at times in regular season because you can just be clever and pick some pockets and steal some lunch money here and there. But when its playoffs, for all the marbles the dominant players will have more effect. Its when a physical aspect is much more important where player A just pushes player B off the puck all day. The Danault line was owning and they didn't have Arviddson.

Anyway I've stated before with this club I'm in show me territory by now. They didn't show me in game 1 and the team shows that it has trepidation and isn't round games in big moments.

Tonight the Oilers really need to get the first goal and come out better. But LA will know how important this game is too. If LA is pleased with the split they will potentially lose the series. If LA somehow pulls out another W the Oilers are obviously in deep shit. So that an Oilers team that has difficulty with playoff pressure is now facing more in game 2.
The mood around here is pretty despondent. If the Oilers lose this series I think you blow it up. This core sucks.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
5) Let's get Archie back in the game at some point. Good things seem to happen when he's in the line-up. He lifts the bench, and he can make things happen... especially when the games get tight.
Have you not forgotten Game 3 last year? His undiscipline dirty play that even resulted in a suspension started the entire sequence that killed what should have been the momentum turning Game 3 win for the Oilers.

Archibald doesn't come near this lineup unless many players are injured or really stink out the joint.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I don't ever remember that in 2017 and I went to Game 1 against the Sharks (fittingly a loss as well)

I work near Whyte and saw plenty of Oilers jerseys there on Monday...then went the Tailgate party in Ice District where it was of course packed
didn't even mention the bars which have been filling up plenty with Oiler fans
Thanks for the info. I dislike going DT and then paying for parking and such. heh, I've had more fun building a fence then what the game experience was on Monday tbh. The unending thought watching was feeling sorry for people that paid hundreds of bucks to be at the game. I mean it was entertaining, but playoff losses are never much fun. Hopefully today is better and gives people something more to cheer about. More than the phony wave. heh

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The mood around here is pretty despondent. If the Oilers lose this series I think you blow it up. This core sucks.
Its hard for me as well to watch games where Drai is being pretty controlled and when you notice him most its doing punk moves like chopping Durzi in back of legs after scoring. It was another WTF moment. I don't subscribe to the between the whistles stuff and I don't think it does anything but put your name on the other clubs chalkboard. It makes you a target doing stuff like that and Drai is earning a lot of enemies this season. Just being honest, its been hard to watch. I liked Drai more a year ago then I like him today. He should cut out the cheap shots, that stuff belongs in Calgary. Its not endearing whether its a Draisaitl or a pest doing it. The worst part is Drai can't fight and won't so whats he doing out there. He's gonna get fed. Really its up to someone on the team or in the org to tell him to knock off the cheap shots. It isn't helping.

I mean thats just Drai going sideways. As we know we could speak volumes about where Nurse has gone and others. Seems like we add parts here in Hyman, Kane, etc, and then others fall off. I felt far better about Nurse a year ago as well.

Still expect to see big moments by Drai this spring but I'm not sure about Nurse and others right now. I don't trust the level they're playing at.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
the funny thing is most people had the oilers winning in 6 or 7 games, so by the very nature of that prediction the kings need to win some games. But yet, because the order in which the kings win those games is not what some people were expecting, those same people are declaring the series over.

HFoil is a funny and strange place.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Have you not forgotten Game 3 last year? His undiscipline dirty play that even resulted in a suspension started the entire sequence that killed what should have been the momentum turning Game 3 win for the Oilers.

Archibald doesn't come near this lineup unless many players are injured or really stink out the joint.
I completely agree. The last thing this team needs is another stupid player making stupid plays at stupid times.

This team doesn't need a lineup change. They need a f***ing attitude adjustment. They need to learn to rise up and thrive on intense situations. They demonstrated they can't.

1. The first period. Fans back.. Place is f***ing rocking. Oilers SHIT THEIR PANTS and lay an egg and go down 2 goals. Instead of channeling that energy into focus to the task at hand. They got their shit handed to them.

2. Game tied 3rd period. They do what they've done in the last 6 playoff losses. Got out played when the game was on the line. They were getting worked over before Smith gave the puck away. They were getting their asses handed to them that whole third period by a team a team that nutted the f*** up.. focus'd and didn't play like a bunch of chicken shit panzies.

Edmonton is a scared hockey team that plays scared the minute the pressure is on. They aren't winners.. they're losers. That's the reputation they've earned. That's the reputation they'll keep until proven otherwise.

Coming out and wining tonight 6-1 won't alleviate that. Not that I'm telling them not to. I want them to win.. hell I feel that's the only way they can win.

But until they win some close games in the third period consistently. I have no faith in them doing anything significant in the playoffs.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Its hard for me as well to watch games where Drai is being pretty controlled and when you notice him most its doing punk moves like chopping Durzi in back of legs after scoring. It was another WTF moment. I don't subscribe to the between the whistles stuff and I don't think it does anything but put your name on the other clubs chalkboard. It makes you a target doing stuff like that and Drai is earning a lot of enemies this season. Just being honest, its been hard to watch. I liked Drai more a year ago then I like him today. He should cut out the cheap shots, that stuff belongs in Calgary. Its not endearing whether its a Draisaitl or a pest doing it. The worst part is Drai can't fight and won't so whats he doing out there. He's gonna get fed. Really its up to someone on the team or in the org to tell him to knock off the cheap shots. It isn't helping.

I mean thats just Drai going sideways. As we know we could speak volumes about where Nurse has gone and others. Seems like we add parts here in Hyman, Kane, etc, and then others fall off. I felt far better about Nurse a year ago as well.

Still expect to see big moments by Drai this spring but I'm not sure about Nurse and others right now. I don't trust the level they're playing at.
I just don't think this is built to be a playoff team. Nobody seems to raise their game and they never get the saves the other team does. The Oilers treated game 1 like another regular season game while the Kings came out with a gameplan. McLellan got raked over the coals here but he took Woodcroft to school. I'll give Nurse a pass because he's coming back from an injury but he has not convinced me he's a true #1D. The forwards, the defense, and the goaltending do not inspire any confidence. You could've told me that was a game from 2020 or 2021 and I would've believed you. Exact same formula that cost us in those series.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
No you don't...you find a goalie and see what they can do

remember how good they were in 2017 with a legit starter like Talbot?
As much as I believe the same, that a steadier goalie could make the difference I also feel that the core players on this team need something now. This was felt all season and before Smith got hot. If we're not setup properly to contend now then its just another wasted season on the McDrai clock and both are showing ample frustration. Its to the degree that Drai could do something stupid and get suspended, and it wouldn't entirely surprise me. This club mentally requires at least a series win. That won't make anybody on the core happy but it won't be a disaster either.

In anycase I'll believe this is a team when I see some support player, anybody, digging down as hard as someone like Moore did in game 1. Its performances like that which define playoff results. Cough Pisani. We don't seem to have that kind of player today. You can sense how much a team wants it when you see games like Moore played. I mean he doesn't have to, its not expected, and he's playing out of his head, but its what a club needs to come out on the winning side in playoffs. That whole LA line were ballers all night. Players can talk about bonding, or the room is solid. But its the play that exemplifies whether its a team or a collection of players. The Oilers have to find themselves as a team quick.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
They also had actual depth in the lineup. This GM isn't going to go out and find a better goalie, he's convinced that Smith is the answer.
The depth this year is very much comparable to that team. Really its just goaltending that is the biggest difference in my opinion.

Even that year, Edmonton scored only one 5 on 5 goal in the first 4 games, but fortunately Talbot won them 2 with shutouts, and Kassian found two goals out of nowhere including a shortie, then the team got rolling and won 4 straight the right way until the shenanigans kicked in with Anaheim.

We need at least one really solid game by Smith, and maybe it finally kick starts this team. Smith actually gave them that in Game 2 last year, but McDrai didn't show up until Game 3. At least Connor looks ready to go this year, so maybe if Smith can settle things down tonight, the team can get going.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
As much as I believe the same, that a steadier goalie could make the difference I also feel that the core players on this team need something now. This was felt all season and before Smith got hot. If we're not setup properly to contend now then its just another wasted season on the McDrai clock and both are showing ample frustration. Its to the degree that Drai could do something stupid and get suspended, and it wouldn't entirely surprise me. This club mentally requires at least a series win. That won't make anybody on the core happy but it won't be a disaster either.

In anycase I'll believe this is a team when I see some support player, anybody, digging down as hard as someone like Moore did in game 1. Its performances like that which define playoff results. Cough Pisani. We don't seem to have that kind of player today.
I would say your boy yams was digging down about as hard as you could ask for.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The depth this year is very much comparable to that team. Really its just goaltending that is the biggest difference in my opinion.

Even that year, Edmonton scored only one 5 on 5 goal in the first 4 games, but fortunately Talbot won them 2 with shutouts, and Kassian found two goals out of nowhere, then the team got rolling and won 4 straight the right way until the shenanigans kicked in with Anaheim.

We need at least one really solid game by Smith, and maybe it finally kick starts this team. Smith actually gave them that in Game 2 last year, but McDrai didn't show up until Game 3. At least Connor looks ready to go this year, so maybe if Smith can settle things down tonight, the team can get going.
I'm not so sure, the bottom six is still very much full of players who score very infrequently. Most of them barely made an impact in game 1. Here's hoping that changes in game 2 but we still need someone other than McDavid to score.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I would say your boy yams was digging down about as hard as you could ask for.
Sure he was. But he's a top pick player that is supposed to be a top level player. Trevor Moore is found gold as an undrafted player. Plus Moore is much better than Yams and was in the game as well, and all season. Moore has had a knock it out of the park season for an undrafted player and unlike Yams he creates a lot of plays. He isn't playing with legends, he's being the difference out there. I watch the Kings a lot and like everybody else following that club Moore this season has been a Pisani type revelation. One sure doesn't expect this kind of ascent, but its nice to get it, and frankly the Oilers don't often obtain it. We grab a player like Brassard at TDL and he's not even dressing he's been so non descript. We don't get it from a Perlini, and Archie, a Shore, anybody we take a chance on and drag in here. Well, Kane but he was a star player before arriving here.

Teams that rebuild well, they find and raise gold like Moore. I was saying to people here to watch him before this series started. He was a star player in game 1.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Sure he was. But he's a top pick player that is supposed to be a top level player. Trevor Moore is found gold as an undrafted player. Plus Moore is much better than Yams and was in the game as well, and all season. Moore has had a knock it out of the park season for an undrafted player and unlike Yams he creates a lot of plays. He isn't playing with legends, he's being the difference out there. I watch the Kings a lot and like everybody else following that club Moore this season has been a Pisani type revelation. One sure doesn't expect this kind of ascent, but its nice to get it, and frankly the Oilers don't often obtain it. We grab a player like Brassard at TDL and he's not even dressing he's been so non descript. We don't get it from a Perlini, and Archie, a Shore, anybody we take a chance on and drag in here. Well, Kane but he was a star player before arriving here.

Teams that rebuild well, they find and raise gold like Moore.
It's actually kind of amusing that not only was Kulak the only good TDL acquisition by Holland in his tenure, he's probably been our best defenseman since he was brought here.

What? no they didn't....guys like Eberle, RNH and Pouliot scored a combined 0 goals in 13 games lol
But they still made an effective shutdown line. And of course Eberle went on to be quite successful in the playoffs with the Islanders because the Oilers gave up on him after one playoffs. We got 5 goals from Letestu, 2 from Slepyshev, 3 from Kassian, and even a two goal game out of Adam Larsson. That Oilers lineup would put this one into the ground.

BouchBaby

Apr 29, 2022
Calgary

Probably should stop with all the extra stick work unless he wants to get jumped one of these days, way too valuable a player to be fighting ever so whats the point. I do love how he uses his body during the game though, wish JP would use his in a similar way.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I'm not so sure, the bottom six is still very much full of players who score very infrequently. Most of them barely made an impact in game 1. Here's hoping that changes in game 2 but we still need someone other than McDavid to score.

Let's say bottom 5, because the Oilers that year had Letestu in the bottom 6 and he scored quite a bit but it mostly came on the PP similar to Nuge, so we'll say Nuge is this year's Letestu.

The bottom 5 that year in the playoffs were Pouliot, Caggiula, Kassian, Desharnais, and Slepyshev who had a combined 28 goals between them that year.

This year, just the first four in Foegele, Ryan, McLeod, Kassian have 37 goals amongst them. If Shore's your 5th he had 5 as well and Brassard in a short tenure (similar to Desharnais) had 2.

That bottom five pulled off 10 goals in 13 playoff games that year, so I do support your notion that our depth players need to find some goals this year, I disagree with the notion that they don't have the ability to do so.

But even if they don't produce the same, that year 3 players amongst our top 6 (Nuge, Ebs, and Lucic) only produced 2 goals, two of which had zero. Our top 6 should be better than that top 6.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
But they still made an effective shutdown line. And of course Eberle went on to be quite successful in the playoffs with the Islanders because the Oilers gave up on him after one playoffs. We got 5 goals from Letestu, 2 from Slepyshev, 3 from Kassian, and even a two goal game out of Adam Larsson. That Oilers lineup would put this one into the ground.
revisionist history at it's finest

if we had 2017 Talbot on this team right now, we would be mentioned as Cup favorites...Hyman and Kane are better than Eberle and Pouliot were in 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad