GDT: PRE 8 | "Pre Season Finale" | Oilers vs. Canucks | 10.3.15 | 8:00PM | SNET

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Now that I'm sober...
Maybe McDavid was tired from McLellans practice the other night..maybe that's why he looked near invisible. Invisible is far better though than making costly rookie mistakes like Yakupov and Hall did (and still do)

Keep the smart players (McDavid, RNH, Eberle, Draisaitl, Pouliot, Slepyshev, Lander) and play the not so smart ones (Hall, Yakupov, Purcell) on the third line and match them up against easier competition.

I didn't really see any glaring mistakes from Yakupov yesterday. If you're referring to his -2, neither of those goals were because of him. First one was Lander and the second one was Davidson. I thought Yakupov was one of the best Oilers last night to be honest

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Nuge and McDavid on the pp looked pretty good.

What a brutal first period to watch. Looked like a bunch of guys whacking the pack against the boards for 20 mins.

Can't agree at all with this. It was easily the most interesting game of the preseason, definitely the best performance by the Oil by a country mile, and against a club that plays good system hockey.

I'd far rather see how the Oil do against actual fascimiles of NHL games, than the muck that happened before. This game in every way resembled a regular season game.

Close checking is what coached pro teams are supposed to be doing. Open ice and possession was hard to come by and required astute plays to achieve. I love when a team has to work for their chances.
These are the games the Oilers have to learn to play. We won only 4 games in division last year. So we have to be able to play this game.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Last night was the first time I would disagree with you on that.

Gryba and Reinhart seem a solid pairing tho, even if that is primarily because of Reinhart.

That's fair. I only really noticed Gryba in the first ruining scoring opportunities with awfully slow decision making followed by even slower passes. My comment about swapping then was more based on the preseason as a whole.

nightfighter

Aug 31, 2008
Most of the game has already been analyzed to death and I know most people really liked RNH's game tonight. His strength is really standing out to me right now though. There were a few plays along the boards or in tight checking where he completely overpowered his opposition. His balance has always been top notch but whether it is those battle drills that TM is employing or Nuges summer workout, something about his ability to win battles and come up with the puck is just amazing right now.

DipsyMcDoodles

Apr 6, 2014
Edmonton
I'm really glad we went through the last couple of games in the preseason, before it actually counts. It's good for McLellan to iron out our deficiencies now so that we ice a team that's ready to go against St. Louis.

We're still a huge work in progress but at least we won't look like a deer staring straight into the opposing team's headlights like we were against Calgary last year ;)

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Not too much to take from this game. Oilers should have won. Miller got one of his limited number of 'standing on his head games' out of the way in preseason. So that's good.

Overall I liked the effort and play from the Oilers. They look like a much more capable team than they did this time last season. I don't think the west is going to walk all over us as easily as they did last season.

Not sure I agree with this and its somewhat revisionist. When the Nucks needed to be they were clearly the better team and better at transitioning and creating chances. Sutter alone should have had 2-3 goals. Nucks also hit a post, and were hardly ever behind in this game. The moment they were they turned it up a notch and immediately got the tying goal.

Sorry, but to extrapolate from that that the Oilers should've come away with a result is setting yourself up for disappointment.

My take is the Nucks weren't playing 60mins of their A game and the oilers were trying to. Sedins played about 1 period of hockey the way they can. Soon as they got in their game the Oilers were losing them and losing their checks. The last goals for instance looked almost toying the Oilers.

The Oilers are improving. But the seasoned teams in this league on most nights are still going to be presenting a huge challenge due to experience, knowing how to Win, and claiming a result. This is exactly what happened last night while Nuge was still glowing with his go ahead goal 3mins earlier and not paying attention to Daniel Sedin breaking free for the winning goal. A few seconds losing concentration and its over.

One of the huge problems with the Psyche of this Oilers club is they get so pleased with themselves so easily. tbh Nuge after the go ahead goal was acting on ice as if the game was over. For a cerebral player that's kind of odd to see. I could see how his laughing on ice after his goal could easily be misinterpreted by the opposition.

The Oilers did give a better effort in the game. They'll win some games like this. But there will be more when they still play lousy.

This team managed to play at least 3 bad games in preseason with fuller lineups than other teams were icing. That's troubling to me in terms of consistency so early into our new head coaches tenure. Fallback reversion happens so easily with this club.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Not sure I agree with this and its somewhat revisionist. When the Nucks needed to be they were clearly the better team and better at transitioning and creating chances. Sutter alone should have had 2-3 goals. Nucks also hit a post, and were hardly ever behind in this game. The moment they were they turned it up a notch and immediately got the tying goal.

Sorry, but to extrapolate from that that the Oilers should've come away with a result is setting yourself up for disappointment.

My take is the Nucks weren't playing 60mins of their A game and the oilers were trying to. Sedins played about 1 period of hockey the way they can. Soon as they got in their game the Oilers were losing them and losing their checks. The last goals for instance looked almost toying the Oilers.

The Oilers are improving. But the seasoned teams in this league on most nights are still going to be presenting a huge challenge due to experience, knowing how to Win, and claiming a result. This is exactly what happened last night while Nuge was still glowing with his go ahead goal 3mins earlier and not paying attention to Daniel Sedin breaking free for the winning goal. A few seconds losing concentration and its over.

One of the huge problems with the Psyche of this Oilers club is they get so pleased with themselves so easily. tbh Nuge after the go ahead goal was acting on ice as if the game was over. For a cerebral player that's kind of odd to see. I could see how his laughing on ice after his goal could easily be misinterpreted by the opposition.

The Oilers did give a better effort in the game. They'll win some games like this. But there will be more when they still play lousy.

This team managed to play at least 3 bad games in preseason with fuller lineups than other teams were icing. That's troubling to me in terms of consistency so early into our new head coaches tenure. Fallback reversion happens so easily with this club.

No idea where you come up with this stuff. Clearly the better team? No way, the oilers had the edge in play. It was a close, and frankly boring, game.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
No idea where you come up with this stuff. Clearly the better team? No way, the oilers had the edge in play. It was a close, and frankly boring, game.

I saw a bunch of scoring chances that the Oilers should have buried. They had the nucks on their heels for good stretches of the game.

Well a good preseason for the team. I hope they are all warmed up and ready to go for Thursday!

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
The tying goal was somewhat of a fluke.

Could the nucks have tied it anyway, maybe.

But more importantly, the 3 on 3 was awful by nuge and hall. They treated it like a shootout. If that's the way it goes down leaguewide then booo...boooooooooooooo.
Boo.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

But more importantly, the 3 on 3 was awful by nuge and hall. They treated it like a shootout. If that's the way it goes down leaguewide then booo...boooooooooooooo.
Boo.

I absolutely hated how they acted when Edler got the puck in his end. Acted like Edler had a force field around him or something. Hopefully one day we can see these guys stop giving away respect for free and start forcing the issue all game long.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003

Boo.

Nuge was out with Pouliot and Schultz for 3x3.

The team is going to have to make adjustments to play 3x3. You can't miss the net from the side or you're sending it the other way on a odd man break. Either shots from directly in front of the net or don't try to pick a corner. 3x3 Nuge should have oodles of room. Don't take a low % shot from the side. Curl back and try to set something up. Oh well, they'll learn as they do it more.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Most of the game has already been analyzed to death and I know most people really liked RNH's game tonight. His strength is really standing out to me right now though. There were a few plays along the boards or in tight checking where he completely overpowered his opposition. His balance has always been top notch but whether it is those battle drills that TM is employing or Nuges summer workout, something about his ability to win battles and come up with the puck is just amazing right now.

I think part of it I how good he is with his stick. He's now able to open the guy up with his strength, and then use his stick to get the puck away

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Pouliot had multiple 10 bell scoring opportunities...could have had 3 goals himself.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Last night was the first time I would disagree with you on that.

Gryba and Reinhart seem a solid pairing tho, even if that is primarily because of Reinhart.

Gryba was just fine...he played a simple but effective game. Reinhart had 2 giveaways that stood out to me but otherwise he was okay.
I am not sure what people are expecting with Gryba and the pairing was low event which is exactly what people should expect them to be.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Can't agree at all with this. It was easily the most interesting game of the preseason, definitely the best performance by the Oil by a country mile, and against a club that plays good system hockey.

I'd far rather see how the Oil do against actual fascimiles of NHL games, than the muck that happened before. This game in every way resembled a regular season game.

Close checking is what coached pro teams are supposed to be doing. Open ice and possession was hard to come by and required astute plays to achieve. I love when a team has to work for their chances.
These are the games the Oilers have to learn to play. We won only 4 games in division last year. So we have to be able to play this game.

My comment was about the first period. Thankfully a hockey game broke out after it.
If you thought that was great hockey to watch in the first. Then to each his own.

KenLinsemanFanClub

Sorry State
Nov 26, 2003
Isle of Van
I get the hate for the 3vs3 but I like it better than the shoot-out. It should favour the more talented and better coached teams unlike the shoot-out which is just a penalty shot skills competition. The better teams are going to do well in these and get the results.....deservedly so.

I think the Oil are gonna have to look at acquiring the right type of winger to play with McDavid. I don't think Hall is the answer. McDavid needs a straight to the net type winger, someone with bulk who knows how to keep his stick on the ice and unchecked. I like Slepyshev with him but someone with a little more NHL experience would be better.

It was nice to see a more competent group of Defenders last night. No Nikitin or Ference turnstiles. I am concerned about the experience level of Reinhart and Davidson but Klefbom coming back should help. Are there any teams out there we could take advantage of to acquire another top 4 D, similar to what the Isles did last year?

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Nuge was out with Pouliot and Schultz for 3x3.

The team is going to have to make adjustments to play 3x3. You can't miss the net from the side or you're sending it the other way on a odd man break. Either shots from directly in front of the net or don't try to pick a corner. 3x3 Nuge should have oodles of room. Don't take a low % shot from the side. Curl back and try to set something up. Oh well, they'll learn as they do it more.

Someone had told me pouliot changed for hall so nuge and hall seemingly waited for their odd man rush chance.

Hint; it never came.

Was that the gameplan? If so it's basically a chance for chance shootout.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Someone had told me pouliot changed for hall so nuge and hall seemingly waited for their odd man rush chance.

Hint; it never came.

Maybe I missed that change? I know Pouliot started OT. I don't remember anyone waiting for anything though. Nuge carried the puck in and missed a shot going for a corner and it went right out of the zone creating an odd man rush that the Canucks finished.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
the "generational" tag isn't fair to mcdavid though, he didn't ask for it... so far i see a player who looks slightly better than RNH at the same age, and that is a fantastic player to have

Mcdavid is twice the player RNH was when he got here. The kid is gonna be great I think some fans just expect him to put up 4 points every night and that won't happen. If Mcdavid puts up anything over 50 points this season that'd be a success, but I see much bigger things from him then I do RNH.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005

Hint; it never came.

Maybe I missed that change? I know Pouliot started OT. I don't remember anyone waiting for anything though. Nuge carried the puck in and missed a shot going for a corner and it went right out of the zone creating an odd man rush that the Canucks finished.

After Nuge shot and the play turned back, Pouliot changed for Hall, which put Hall a little behind the developing play.

It looked like Hall assumed Nuge was going to take the man Schultz pointed to but Nuge hesitated.

A 'system' mistake, in my eyes. Something that should be corrected with better, and more, coaching. I suspect we'll see less of these as the season goes on.

Still dislike the 3 on 3 as a point deciding factor....

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
In the end the Oil found a way to lose. Same old same old. That is what concerns me. When do we start winning some of these?

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
I enjoyed the game, if not the result. Team was hot garbage in the first, but really took it to the Canucks in all areas in the 2nd and 3rd. Was great to see.

Need to fix the slow starts (an Oiler trademark), and would like to see some slightly better rebound control yet again from Talbot, but he didn't play too poorly overall.

Let the season begin!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad