GDT: PRE 8 | "Pre Season Finale" | Oilers vs. Canucks | 10.3.15 | 8:00PM | SNET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
So what would qualify as successful pre season then? Nothing short of 8-0 outshooting the opposition 2-1 every game?

Not taking 3 games off out of an 8game schedule would be nice. With 2 of those games actually being home games in front of paying fans.

its unconscionable to me that a pro team that has sucked as bad as this one wouldn't be flying out of the gate at home ready to show their fans something different. Instead the fans here got to see two really ugly performances that were at best 20mins of the Oilers playing hockey.

I saw more concerted focused team efforts when this club was in the WHA. I was paying 3 bucks to see that. :laugh:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
And like I said, I know this year is going to be rough and I'm okay with that. There is a lot of the losing is okay mentality to get out of their systems and that will take time.

And like I said, as long as I see progress thru the year I'm okay with it. Better then just trading everyone away or doing nothing.

Yep, agreed with all of this. I like what Mclellan is doing for sure. its just amazing how little Eakins did with this team. The players are literally out of hockey playing shape. Players on this club haven't worked this hard in practice and some of the games than they have in years.

The coaching part is winning me over. Still worried about the players followthrough.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Not taking 3 games off out of an 8game schedule would be nice. With 2 of those games actually being home games in front of paying fans.

its unconscionable to me that a pro team that has sucked as bad as this one wouldn't be flying out of the gate at home ready to show their fans something different. Instead the fans here got to see two really ugly performances that were at best 20mins of the Oilers playing hockey.

I saw more concerted focused team efforts when this club was in the WHA. I was paying 3 bucks to see that. :laugh:
It's. Pre. Season. Teams. Don't. Play. Well. In. Pre. Season. Veterans. Are. Shaking. Off. Rust. Bubble. Players. Look. Great. As. They. Have. To. Or. They. Don't. Have. Work.

You are putting to much into the pre season. And look what happened when we played against a full NHL roster, we played a great game outside the first period, which both teams looked crap in.

Lines don't get rolled properly in pre season, players often play more equal minutes. Non pp and non pk players get chances at both. Pre season is basically scrimmages you pay to watch.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

I hope you are braced for a shaky start because it's coming.

Teams that are "flying out there" often times that is a result of knowing the system and being comfortable in it. Fans think that just happens because "they're trying hard", that's really not the reality of it. It's some of it sure, but it's only about 50% of it.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I hope you are braced for a shaky start because it's coming.

Teams that are "flying out there" often times that is a result of knowing the system and being comfortable in it. Fans think that just happens because "they're trying hard", that's really not the reality of it. It's some of it sure, but it's only about 50% of it.

Oh trust me I'm braced. ;)

My approach with this club is to expect little and be less disappointed. I recommend it for some levity following this club.

But if this team ever starts playing well I'll be commenting on the good play.

I like what Mclellan is doing anyway.

KenLinsemanFanClub

Sorry State
Nov 26, 2003
Isle of Van
They are learning new systems. Things can take time to make sense and be second nature. When you have the think about doing it right it can make you look off till you get it

Exactly. I don't post a ton but I'm getting tired of the rhetoric. The Oilers went 6-1-1 in the pre-season (which supposedly doesn't count for anything) but apparently the last two games are the only ones that mean anything because they faced a resemblance of a full NHL roster and lost. Still pre-season, with players learning new systems under a new coach and yet because of these last two games some are writing off the first 20 games of the season.

Well, it could be that the first 20 games will be rough. This isn't going to turn around after one off-season and 8 "meaningless" pre-season games. This isn't a one off-season project. Chiarelli made some moves and has now seen some of the players he inherited in practice and in game action. I bet he is getting a good feel for the players and has some idea about who will be part of this going forward and who will be moved. This season will be all about molding the roster more to what he envisions as his type of team. That my well involve a lot of losing but I don't think most of us expected anything else. We are all going to have to be patient.

And before the responses of "but we've been patient for 9 years now" start rolling in, this is a totally new management and coaching staff who inherited a disaster of an organization. There are still holes in the roster and some uncertainly at key positions but I'll be very surprised if we see the lackluster efforts and the disinterested play that we saw most of last year in the first 20 games this year. The results may not come right away but the effort had better be there or we'll see sweeping changes and probably some players moved that many here will not be happy about.

Last edited:

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Seems like there's a few folks are reading too much into preseason play. After 10 games will be a first good point of assessment.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
The main take aways from the pre-season

- They responded fairly well after playing an Eakins-esque game versus Vancouver the previous game. Followed it up by playing a much heavier, puck possession game with minimal defensive lapses the following game versus an almost complete Cancuks roster. That's a big positive. If they had bombed that game last night (and would have a year ago) then I would say we're in big, big trouble. We probably still will have a shaky start but at least there's some silver lining.

- Draisaitl and McDavid work better than any other combination we tried with McDavid. Hall and McDavid still not clicking.

- Nilsson was probably the best goalie for what that's worth.

- Yakupov showed enough positives this pre-season

- Slepyshev brings size/some finish and we need both.

- Reinhart was solid.

- Pouliot + RNH picking up right where they left off last year.

The rest is gravy. I don't care about the record (good or bad). We talkin' 'bout pre-season, not the season, but pre-season/Iverson off.

A few things I'd like to add...

Talbot is an NHL goalie. This is huge. There were a handful of saves he made last night where I was thinking in the back of my head....that's a goal on Scrivs:facepalm:

Jultz has looked better then he ever has before.

We played without our 1st line rw, best dman and checking line winger yet still dominated a good stretch of the game.

I agree with you on Yak too. I noticed him getting a little flack for the -2 but from what I have seen he has looked really solid the last couple games. I'm actually pretty stoked. I was definitely a critic in the past but he is showing me something right now. Fingers crossed he keeps it rolling.

The Gryba and Reinhart pairing are definitely lacking in foot speed and puck moving but on the flip side it may be our first pairing in a while that can actually protect our net,break up the cycle fairly effectively and not get bullied all over the ice.

Davidson looks like a solid 7 dman. I was worried about Ference being that guy...:laugh:

Finally we have competent coaching. I fully expect this club to steadily improve throughout the season. In the past what you saw in pre-season was the final product. I don't expect that to be the case this year.

ChokeOnOil

Lambs to Lions
Feb 11, 2007
Edmonton
Oh trust me I'm braced. ;)

My approach with this club is to expect little and be less disappointed. I recommend it for some levity following this club.

But if this team ever starts playing well I'll be commenting on the good play.

I like what Mclellan is doing anyway.

I've been on the board consistently for quite a while. I used to post very frequently and got into a large quantity of heated arguments with you, usually where I was being incredibly optimistic and you were sort of being the way you are perceived as being currently. Mr. Pessimistic hates everything guy.

Time and time again you've been spot on. We give them too much credit. I realized that about a year and a half ago when I saw a post of yours and got upset, then sat their and realized there is literally no reason to give this team the benefit of the doubt. You are completely right.

I'm posting this because I just find it funny that there's new posters sort of going through the same cycle right now. I'm very much in the "believe it when i see it" camp when it comes to improvements surrounding this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad