GDT: Pre #6|Thursday, Sep. 26, 2013|Flyers at Devils|7:00 p.m. ET

Crescent Street

Saturday Nite Hockey
Sep 19, 2004
Long Island
what was the record against the Devils in the prior 14 games before the trades.
I am going to guess it was much, much better. coincidence? probably not.

I think this current theory has more to do with the lingering affects of 2011-2012's embarrassing 2nd round playoff loss. As well as an entirely different D-Core without a HoF defenseman.

12-13 (1-4)
FINAL PHI (0) - NJD (3)
FINAL PHI (3) - NJD (5)
FINAL PHI (2) - NJD (5)
FINAL NJD (1) - PHI (2) SO
FINAL NJD (3) - PHI (0)

11-12 (3-2-1)
FINAL PHI (3) - NJD (0)
FINAL NJD (4) - PHI (3) SO
FINAL PHI (4) - NJD (1)
FINAL NJD (6) - PHI (4)
FINAL PHI (1) - NJD (4)
FINAL NJD (0) - PHI (3)

10-11 (3-2-1)
FINAL PHI (1) - NJD (2) SO
FINAL NJD (3) - PHI (5)
FINAL PHI (4) - NJD (2)
FINAL NJD (1) - PHI (2)
FINAL NJD (3) - PHI (1)
FINAL PHI (2) - NJD (4)

09-10 (5-1)
FINAL PHI (5) - NJD (2)
FINAL NJD (2) - PHI (3)
FINAL PHI (1) - NJD (4) Played December 12th 2009, Laviolette hired on December 7th.
FINAL NJD (2) - PHI (3)
FINAL PHI (3) - NJD (2) OT
FINAL NJD (1) - PHI (5)

08-09 (3-1-2)
FINAL PHI (6) - NJD (3)
FINAL NJD (2) - PHI (3) OT
FINAL NJD (3) - PHI (2) OT
FINAL PHI (2) - NJD (3) SO
FINAL PHI (0) - NJD (3)
FINAL NJD (2) - PHI (4)

Last edited:

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
I think this current theory has more to do with the lingering affects of 2011-2012's embarrassing 2nd round playoff loss. As well as an entirely different D-Core without a HoF defenseman.

12-13 (1-4)
FINAL PHI (0) - NJD (3)
FINAL PHI (3) - NJD (5)
FINAL PHI (2) - NJD (5)
FINAL NJD (1) - PHI (2) SO
FINAL NJD (3) - PHI (0)

11-12 (3-2-1)
FINAL PHI (3) - NJD (0)
FINAL NJD (4) - PHI (3) SO
FINAL PHI (4) - NJD (1)
FINAL NJD (6) - PHI (4)
FINAL PHI (1) - NJD (4)
FINAL NJD (0) - PHI (3)

10-11 (3-2-1)
FINAL PHI (1) - NJD (2) SO
FINAL NJD (3) - PHI (5)
FINAL PHI (4) - NJD (2)
FINAL NJD (1) - PHI (2)
FINAL NJD (3) - PHI (1)
FINAL PHI (2) - NJD (4)

09-10 (5-1)
FINAL PHI (5) - NJD (2)
FINAL NJD (2) - PHI (3)
FINAL PHI (1) - NJD (4)
FINAL NJD (2) - PHI (3)
FINAL PHI (3) - NJD (2) OT
FINAL NJD (1) - PHI (5)

08-09 (3-1-2)
FINAL PHI (6) - NJD (3)
FINAL NJD (2) - PHI (3) OT
FINAL NJD (3) - PHI (2) OT
FINAL PHI (2) - NJD (3) SO
FINAL PHI (0) - NJD (3)
FINAL NJD (2) - PHI (4)

the flip in those scores is oddly timed with the arrival of Lavi.

Crescent Street

Saturday Nite Hockey
Sep 19, 2004
Long Island
I edited the post to reflect when Lavy took over. I think it still has more to do with the arrival of Deboer and the Devils buying into the system.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Giroux is at least a PPG player on any roster in the league, except for maybe Phoenix and St. Louis, because he's arguably the best powerplay player in the league.

The rest reads way too much like "the sky is falling."

i think you can include the devils, bruins,kings as well as teams he wouldnt be a ppg player on.

2 of those teams have just won the cup. The other went to the finals. As boring as NJ's style of play is that type of style leads to wins.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
well you have to include players like Richards on reasons for the records against the Devils. Yes those others factors definitely factor in as well. Probably Deboer coming in probably played the biggest role.
The thing is you really cant change how we play during the season. If a change is made and the coach has a new philosophy on how to play the outcomes will likely not change soon against teams like NY and the Devils. Teams obviously with superior goaltending

SchennSational1022*

We beat them in the playoffs in 5 ****ing games with Laviolette. That wasn't with Deboer though..

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
i think you can include the devils, bruins,kings as well as teams he wouldnt be a ppg player on.

2 of those teams have just won the cup. The other went to the finals. As boring as NJ's style of play is that type of style leads to wins.

Why New Jersey or Boston? Kovalchuk and Elias have no problem getting to PPG or at least close to it. Boston doesn't have any PPG players because they rely on a ton of balance, and they also don't have a guy capable of getting to that level. Kopitar is always near PPG and Giroux is both a better offensive player as well as a better powerplay player.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
well you have to include players like Richards on reasons for the records against the Devils. Yes those others factors definitely factor in as well. Probably Deboer coming in probably played the biggest role.
The thing is you really cant change how we play during the season. If a change is made and the coach has a new philosophy on how to play the outcomes will likely not change soon against teams like NY and the Devils. Teams obviously with superior goaltending

The Devils also changed their team design as a result of getting beaten by the Flyers in 2010. Many Devils fans have alluded to that in the past. They got bigger on the wings and picked up some defenseman that can move the puck quickly, as to not allow the Flyers forecheck to overwhelm them.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
The Devils also changed their team design as a result of getting beaten by the Flyers in 2010. Many Devils fans have alluded to that in the past. They got bigger on the wings and picked up some defenseman that can move the puck quickly, as to not allow the Flyers forecheck to overwhelm them.

In other words they adjusted which included changing their coach and we are still stuck in neutral with Lavi..

anyway..this is not an aberration with Lavi..his time was up last year and maybe sooner than that..short shelf life coach and we are still keeping him in the refrigerator...

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Lavi has forced two teams (Bos, NJ) to redesign themselves after he knocked them out of the POs. Boston destroyed us in the POs the year after, and NJ just keeps destroying us. Lavi has no answer.

It's time for Homer to take a hint. The more I've thought about it the last couple days, the more I've thought Lavi should've been let go at the end of the season.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
In other words they adjusted which included changing their coach and we are still stuck in neutral with Lavi..

anyway..this is not an aberration with Lavi..his time was up last year and maybe sooner than that..short shelf life coach and we are still keeping him in the refrigerator...

Lavi has forced two teams (Bos, NJ) to redesign themselves after he knocked them out of the POs. Boston destroyed us in the POs the year after, and NJ just keeps destroying us. Lavi has no answer.

It's time for Homer to take a hint. The more I've thought about it the last couple days, the more I've thought Lavi should've been let go at the end of the season.

Agreed with both of you. I wasn't using it as a positive towards Lavy, only a reason as to why they stuggle against NJ. I'm leaning towards Lavy going actually. It's become pretty clear that the rest of the East, outside of Pittsburgh, is starting to figure Lavy out. Dare I say it's like Andy Reid towards the end....

I think there's only three players left from that team.

This team is plenty capable of forechecking was my point.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I didn't get a chance to see much of the game last night, I assume based on Mez's 20+ minutes on the ice at +/- 0 he was still the worst defenseman on the team?

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I didn't see it either, but I'm gonna go ahead and guess he's still not worth his cap hit.

Well I don't think anyone ever disputed that. Not being worth his cap hit and not being better than other players are on the team are two very different things. Some would argue, not me, that Giroux is not worth his cap hit...but he is still the best player on this team.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
I didn't get a chance to see much of the game last night, I assume based on Mez's 20+ minutes on the ice at +/- 0 he was still the worst defenseman on the team?

Definitely not the worst, Lauridsen and Gill were both worse by far, but Gus was better which is what really matters Stat don't tell the whole story.

@Beef, like the avatar

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I didn't see it either, but I'm gonna go ahead and guess he's still not worth his cap hit.

My ranking last night for the D men... which is hard as tbh as no-one was amazing, partly due to being stuck in their own zone constantly.

Schenn
Gus

Mez

Grossmann

Gill

Lauridsen

Schenn and Gus were ok, Schenn had a very quiet game, which is good in a game like that for a D man like him, and Gus made one or two mistakes, but made up for them instantly, showed some poise.

Mez was next imo, had a quiet game, which for this preseason was good for him, him and Grossmann were probably the best pair.

Grossmann had an off night, not anything major, just looked uneasy, maybe as he had to work hard a lot in his own end.

Gill and Lauridsen would have looked like crap in the GTHL.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Must have skimmed over this in the other GDTs: Pronger 'likely to be placed on LTIR', eh?

So there's a chance he'll be in the lineup on opening night? :sarcasm:

No. But there is no certainty he will be placed on LTIR immediately, either. It is an option but not a mandatory step to take when the rosters are submitted to the League.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad