GDT: PRE 3 | "Small Sample Size" | Oilers vs. Jets | 9.23.15 | 7:00 PM | Rexall | Streamed

Status
Not open for further replies.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
At least you laughed.

hey, I'm far from alone in this opinion. Every hockey coach shares my opinion. Most goalies share my opinion, most D share my opinion.

This rule is good news only for points padding.

People that like watching 3 on 3 halfcourt basketball probably like this format.

Purist hockey fans tend not to.

Is there any polls on fans opinions of this format?

btw this is classic. A doublespeak NHL article stating in its headline "3 on 3 is great for fans" but nearly every fan in the comment section is mocking it..lol

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=775064

Haha, I'm not actually calling you out replacement. There's just lots of things to talk about from you, so it keeps the board comments quite active. Kudos.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
If one team won, it still would have been a classic result of one beating the other. It would just been remembered as the best game ever played a bit differently.

Well, I think we were both around at the time and many pundits figured the tie result was perfect including Foster Hewitt, Dick Irwin, Danny Gallivan, Ken Dryden. It actually added to the folklore of the game which is remembered always as a classic. The tie just seemed fair and just. Remember this is back in cold war days and stuff like this were examples of sports being used to demonstrate whether Western World or East bloc were superior. The tie was like the cold war in that regard. better that nobody wins..

kinda jk there.:amazed:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Haha, I'm not actually calling you out replacement. There's just lots of things to talk about from you, so it keeps the board comments quite active. Kudos.

its all good. Soon as the hockey is better I'll get in line. Still haven't got my dose yet. Bears game was the best game yet. Glad I went to it.

Hockey Buddha

Darnell Nurse
Aug 24, 2005
I remember the era of watching a lot of games where teams hung on for the tie. They'd ice the puck the entire third period, or they'd dump the puck in and sit back on their heels. It made for a lot of boring ends to hockey games. I'm with Philly85 on this one.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Well, I think we were both around at the time and many pundits figured the tie result was perfect including Foster Hewitt, Dick Irwin, Danny Gallivan, Ken Dryden. It actually added to the folklore of the game which is remembered always as a classic. The tie just seemed fair and just. Remember this is back in cold war days and stuff like this were examples of sports being used to demonstrate whether Western World or East bloc were superior. The tie was like the cold war in that regard. better that nobody wins..

kinda jk there.:amazed:

Hey, I'm not that old!!!

I may have been around though, but in my infantile stage (the literal one, not the figurative one of which I have not grown out of yet...)

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Having this 3-on-3 overtime and no shootout (yup, a tie) would be my ideal set of rules.

By the fifth pair of shooters most everyone is crying out for someone to end it anyways. I miss the magic of the penalty shot. It was a guaranteed highlight before the shootout came in.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Really wish they'd make a regulation win 3 points, no shootout, no 3v3.

But 3v3>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>shootouts.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Maybe I'm just too easy to placate, pacify or whatever, but I don't mind the shootouts and I'm fine with 3 on 3 too.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Football (soccer), must be the most boring game in the world then. Yet somehow it manages to have the biggest fan base by far.

It has the biggest fanbase because of the simplicity of the game itself and history, not because of how it is run. Soccer is horribly mismanaged.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Any sport is boring to watch if you don't understand any of the nuances of the sport, rules, don't know any of the athletes, don't have any emotional investment in any of the teams, etc. etc.

I'll give 3-on-3 a chance though. It's not any more of a side show than the shoot out was, at least the game is still decided by real hockey plays.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
I really would've preferred 10 minutes of 4v4 followed by a shootout. Too bad the PA didn't agree. There were enough chances generated at 4v4 that a shootout wasn't that likely. It could also allow for some of the guys lower down on the depth chart to be the hero. It could also add more strategy with lines. Oh well.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I don't want ties or shoot outs. I'd rather them go right to 3 on 3 at the end of a regulation tie. 3 on 3 keeps going until someone scores. Regulation win is worth 3 points. 3 on 3 win is worth 2 points. No points awarded to the loser in regulation or 3 on 3.

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
I went to both games. I was impressed with Talbot. I know he let a weak one in against Calgary, but he seemed solid besides screened goals against Winnipeg.

How do you guys think he's played ?

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
They can't have an unlimited OT period of time to score a goal because of flight schedules, NHLPA rules etc.

Even at 3 on 3 there would always be that game that goes for 2-3 periods of OT where everyone is dog tired and no one can score and that simply can't be done in the regular season... with back to back games in the schedule etc.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Instead of going to gimmicks, the NHL should just award 3 points for a regular-time win, 2 points for an OT win, and 1 point for a shootout win.

Ties are never coming back; they don't appeal to American sports fans. I realize the previous comment is somewhat unjustified, but I have met quite a few American sports fans that would agree with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad