Prayers needed for a long time Sabres fan

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I sent Jake's daughter a link to this thread and she replied

So sweet. Thanks Kevin. He is in very critical condition, and we've been told to treat every day like it's Groundhog Day (the movie). He has a long recovery ahead of him. Time will tell. Thank you so much for reaching out. It means a lot

Jake came to Boston for Sabres games often and even for game for Game 4 of the 1977 Final when Montreal swept us. His memory of the game was seeing Clarence Campbell in the concession line looking for a glass of milk.

Way back in 1973 he asked if I wanted to spend a weekend in Montreal ( and it was St Pat's weekend ) - he had gotten 2 standing room tickets at the Forum, and back then I needed little excuse to make the 5 hour drive to Montreal and since I had done standing at the Forum many times knew the tricks.

What I will never forget was the man who was standing next to us. He was dressed in a suit with a carnation and looked totally out of place. We started taking and he said his sons was playing goal and he didn't want them to know he was there.

Of course it was the father of Ken and Dave Dryden.

He took me once to a long gone Buffalo bar after a game called Sinatra's. It was hockey heaven.

I will keep you updated.

original islander

Oct 12, 2011
Best wishes and prayers from an Islanders fan. My first year watching hockey was Buffalo's first year and got to see Gilbert Perrault as a rookie. Get well Jake.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Got an update from Jake's daughter

Papa Jake is in a nursing home and in general pretty miserable. He is really high functioning after the knocks he's survived - traumatic brain injury, prostate cancer, diabetes, heart disease. He is not able to administer his own medications and we've had a real problem getting into a place like assisted living. He qualified for a really great program to get into his own place, but because of the meds issue, they won't take him. Rock and a hard place.

He and his late wife had season tickets from day 1 - they just renewed their Bisons tickets when the Sabres were born and the account is still active.

I met him the night the Bruins played their first game in the Aud in 1970 after the game in a downtown bar called Sinatra's and we became fast friends. He would come to Boston for Bills and Sabres games and I would go to Buffalo for Pats and Bruins games.

He was a senior manager at Bethlehem Steel in Lackawanna and it all came crashing down for him in 1983 when the mill closed. He could have relocated to Pennsylvania but his Buffalo roots were too strong. I remember back in 1986 I was in town and I noticed as we drove over the Father Baker Skyway that the smell was gone and he replied that smell was our jobs.

Please continue sending prayers to him as he needs to be alive when the Sabres hoist Stanley which I think is possible in the next 5 years. I am a BU STH as well and I think in Jack you got a better player and leader.

His cell phone ring tone was something that drove this Bruins fan nuts :cry:

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Jake took a turn for the worse this morning and he is at Mercy Hospital fighting for his life.

12011386_10207572601577397_4085107262217002360_n.jpg

Jake and his granddaughter enjoying an afternoon at Louie's in Tonawanda.

Last edited:

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
Great picture of Jake and his granddaughter.

Thanks for sharing his and your story. I'm old enough to remember going to Bisons' games and the early Sabres years. Since Jake was an STH - he's had some great hockey experiences.

Best wishes to him and his family and friends.

SamuraiArt

Balso Par Big John S
Sep 17, 2013
Buffalo
Pull through Jake. Not because you're a Sabres fan. But because you're a good person. There's damn few of them as it is. Please, stay with your friends, your family, and those who never met you but will never forget your spirit and strength. But if you have to leave us, let it be quick, let it painless, and let it be with the certainty that you changed this world in your own way, and that we are better for it.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Thanks everyone.

This is Jake just 5 days ago on his birthday with his son at Uncle Joe's in Hamburg.
He was really bouncing back until today :cry:

12341321_10207987632472910_2334840346773172222_n.jpg

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Jake passed away at 1 am. He had a stroke and massive brain hemorrhage and was found unconscious. He died peacefully surrounded by family at Mercy Hospital in South Buffalo.

He was a good man. Thanks for all the prayers and support. He had just turned 71 a week ago.

I have this vision of Jake approaching the gates of Heaven and Norm Wullen is playing the Sabre Dance on the organ.

RIP Jake

schpaff

Sep 4, 2005
Sorry, for your loss. My father passed a few years ago about this time of year, the same age as Jake and a original STH holder.

Remember the good times...RIP Jake.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I hate things like this. Prayers for his soul but more so with those who knew and loved him. Damn this breaks my heart.

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
so sorry for your loss.
the Norm Wullen reference brought a tear to my eye.
prayers for Jake and family.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad