Praise McClement Thread

Fearless Leaf*

Jay McClement - Solid signing by Burke and company.

This guy has quietly been very good for us. He is very responsible and sound defensively, has eaten the most time on PK, leading all forwards on the team with +5, and he hasn't looked out of place offensively. Way better option than any of our previous signings(Armstrong, Connolly, Wallin, etc)

He has been everything and more for what he was advertised. great job by Burke and the staff. One reason why our PK has been very solid is because of Jay.

Is there anything else u can ask from a player who is making just $1.5 mil?

Share your thoughts. :)

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
These type guys are on all good teams.
No better than a Tim Brent IMO but I enjoy him as a 4th liner.

12345*

This guy has quietly been very good for us. He is very responsible and sound defensively, has eaten the most time on PK, leading all forwards on the team with +5, and he hasn't looked out of place offensively. Way better option than any of our previous signings(Armstrong, Connolly, Wallin, etc)

He has been everything and more for what he was advertised. great job by Burke and the staff. One reason why our PK has been very solid is because of Jay.

Our PK has not beeen solid. Its as bad as last year at 77.5% kill rate.

The only difference is that we are taking less penalties.

But yes, he is a solid signing. Special teams needs a lot of work still.

mattehaus

Feb 12, 2012
Bournemouth, England
Our PK has not beeen solid. Its as bad as last year at 77.5% kill rate.

The only difference is that we are taking less penalties.

But yes, he is a solid signing. Special teams needs a lot of work still.

I agree statistically we're on par with last year however I think the PK has looked a lot stronger and the stats over time will improve, our PK feels a lot stronger than last year, there were times last season where every time we were SH I felt a goal was inevitable, whereas in SH situation this year I feel we've got a good chance of killing the penalty - Jay is certainly a part of that PK confidence boost.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Our PK will improve as long as Reimer stays the way he's playing.. However, with how little penalties we take, it makes our PK look worse..

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

the PK sucks pretty bad actually 21st isn't good enough

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Finally a bottom sixer that isn't a euphemism for total garbage. Remember when we got Jamal Mayers and people compared him to Kris Draper?

zapy

Aug 26, 2010
Toronto, Richmond Hi
I dont agree, I don't see how he's different than most 4th line players.

Only reaosn he looks good is because the rest of the team is playing good. Reimer has been solid. The defence haven't been making too many silly mistakes. The first line has been scoring, the young 3rd line has been scoring a lot too, the 2nd line are always a dangerous line and our 4th line has some tough guys.

McClement has been okay, but I don't think he's worth mentioning, when so many players have been doing better and are the reason that this team is in a playoff position right now.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Feels good we finally sign a great bottom 6er. He didn't even look out of place on the Grans/Kule line.

Such a versatile player

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
i love hearing stuff like that :nod:

hopefully David Clarkson or Perry follow suit this summer

Oh man, I'm absolutely giddy about the even the slightest chance of acquiring either one. Clarkson is a beaut but I'm worried his contract will be an overpayment considering the season he's having.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
I really like McClement. He's the kind of player does all the small things but because he doesn't put up big numbers, people don't notice him or think to acknowledge his sound play.

He's sound defensively and his speed has surprised. Didn't expect him to be that fast. I also think he's been able to handle every line he's been on which may indicate that he's an incredibly important depth guy who you can slot in almost anywhere and get reliable minutes out of him.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Please do not attempt to derail the thread or we'll have to remove you from the thread. You know who you are.

Hotel Mario

Feb 4, 2013
Thunder Bay
Mcclement is one those ''glue'' or "jam" type players, and a contending roster cannot be made whole without them. He sometimes seems like he is invisible, but that means he doing his job defensively. Certainly an upgrade over Joey Crabb or Tim Brent which are dime a dozen players.

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
He has been great this season.

For some reason there's a part of me that wishes we had Travis Moen to play on a shutdown line with Jay McClement. I think if we ever made the playoffs those two with Nikolai Kulemin or Leo Komarov would be absolutely dynamite.

Darylman

Aug 1, 2009
He's the best fourth liner we've had...probably post lockout.

He can play on any line and contribute because he can skate and cycle hard. Check out the stats for the PK when he is on the ice and when he isn't, there's a visible difference.

He's great.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
He has been great this season.

For some reason there's a part of me that wishes we had Travis Moen to play on a shutdown line with Jay McClement. I think if we ever made the playoffs those two with Nikolai Kulemin or Leo Komarov would be absolutely dynamite.

Ott -McClement - Downie for me. Dream shutdown\agitator line imo. Plus, it wouldn't be useless offensively.

Noble Peasant

Feb 5, 2013
McClement has great leadership skills and work ethic. When was the last time we had a fourth line player wear an 'A'?

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
These type guys are on all good teams.
No better than a Tim Brent IMO but I enjoy him as a 4th liner.

Tim Brent could pass through waivers, McClement wouldn't stand a chance to make it past one team. I think that tells you enough about the difference in value of the two.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad