Advice: Practicing shooting in driveway or yard?

youthoftoday

Jun 14, 2011
Philly
I started playing last year and my shots are horrendous. I have no confidence to try a slapshot in a game and my wrister is weak. I've been watching videos and get what needs to be done, but I can't seem to put it together yet and the 5 minutes we have to warm up before games isn't enough time to practice. I want to start shooting with real pucks at home, but what's the best surface to shoot from? Some sort of plastic mat or plexiglass?

Last edited by a moderator:

LateNightOilerFan

Oct 18, 2008
Nova Scotia
My son lived in the driveway shooting pucks - it really helped him - although there is a difference between shooting on pavement and shooting on the ice - so just keep practicing.

The garage doors tell that story, along with the siding, as well as the puck stuck in the gyproc inside the garage. Only 1 broken window over 7 years though. :)

izzy3

Dec 3, 2009
The best surface is ice, if you can create your own lil ice rink. :D

Well, I was in your shoes, and a shooting pad (actually I got a tape2tape), a goal and ~30 pucks was one of my best investments so far in hockey. Actually any kind of hard, relatively slippery surface (PE, plexi, etc) will do, you can also use some kind of lubricant (I used silicone) to make it more ice-like.

You still need to adjust a little bit, when you get on the ice, but your mechanics and technique will be much better, so you'll see a big improvement.

When I started I used to shoot ~300 pucks a day, mostly forehand, now I shoot ~500 / week, and it's more of a wrist, snap, backhand, one-timer, slap festival, whatever I feel like I need improvement on.

Do it, you will not regret it.

christianbk

Jun 2, 2012
I recently followed the instructions in this thread to make my own, DIY shooting pad. While not an exactly replica of an ice surface, it feels pretty darn close and it was nice not to spend an arm and a leg for a shooting pad (more like... I think it came out to $18?).

youthoftoday

Jun 14, 2011
Philly
Thanks for everyone's suggestions. Priced out some options at Home Depot the other day, but I haven't decided to do my own or just get one those boards from HockeyShot.

lilphill23

Apr 29, 2012
North Attleboro, MA
I had made one of my own following that tutorial and it worked fine it was just annoying that it needed to be "lubricated" on a fairly regular basis as well as once the silicone spray was on there it attracted dirt and and pine needles. I currently have the roll up shooting pad from Hockeyshot and there is no maintenance involved.

youthoftoday

Jun 14, 2011
Philly
I had made one of my own following that tutorial and it worked fine it was just annoying that it needed to be "lubricated" on a fairly regular basis as well as once the silicone spray was on there it attracted dirt and and pine needles. I currently have the roll up shooting pad from Hockeyshot and there is no maintenance involved.

What's the deal with the rolled up ones? Since it rolls up, I envision it curved on either end and not laying flat. Does it have any issues like that?

lilphill23

Apr 29, 2012
North Attleboro, MA
no after i receieved it i laid it out in my garage and it was flat in about 2 hours. plus with the hockey shot onetimer attached to one end it keeps it pretty flat.

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
I personally practiced shooting at random concrete buildings in my area. Like a school after hours or a closed building. As long as there aren't any windows or people near, you should be good.

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009

Snow Dog

Victorious
Jan 3, 2013
GTA
Remember to use a shorter stick,or,put rollerblades on.It will totally screw you up if you practice with the same length stick that you use with skates on.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Remember to use a shorter stick,or,put rollerblades on.It will totally screw you up if you practice with the same length stick that you use with skates on.

This is what I came in here to say. When I practice my shot off-ice I always have rollerblades on. It's obviously not the same as ice, but it's much, much closer to on-ice shooting mechanics than shooting with shoes on.

Starbuds

You like muscles?
Mar 28, 2010
I found that developing my core strength really helped with every aspect of shooting. My stick handling improved (through better overall balance) and both my wrist and slap shot had smoother, stronger releases. It's something you should look into if you are serious about having a good shot. Obviously this comes after nailing down basic technique.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00