Pre-Game Talk: Practice

Maineice11

Dec 7, 2006
Maine
Practice lines were the same as the game last night, with the exception of Boyle taking Bickel's spot on the 4th line and Bickel going back on d. This is from reports from various reporters tweeting at the practice.

Roman Hamrlik won't be in #NYR lineup tomorrow vs. #Caps. Says he's sad not to face old team but knows his conditioning need work.

I didn't see much of who was playing with who on D, but sounds like Bickel and Gilroy were switching in and out. I really hope Torts plays Gilroy with Eminger, the speed of Gilroy will be needed against the Caps. I also don't trust Bickel ever on the ice, especially on D.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
What the flying **** is Stu Bickel doing on defense? He definately has some inside information on Torts.

Why is the Hags-Step-Nash line broken up? Enough with the Richards favoritism. He has to work himself out of the slump, not have our two best wingers do it for him.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
What the flying **** is Stu Bickel doing on defense? He definately has some inside information on Torts.

Why is the Hags-Step-Nash line broken up? Enough with the Richards favoritism. He has to work himself out of the slump, not have our two best wingers do it for him.

its not that big of a deal having Hamrlik get some conditioning in although I dont understand why he needs it since he should of been practicing with WSH all yr and got into a few games.

Agreed no idea why Hagelin ,Stepan,Nash is broken up, at the same time Richards and Nash scored last game

Bickel on D is stupid, Gilroy should play if Hamrlik is not.

I will just keep praying Bickel is dealt at the deadline

Dangleberry

Feb 21, 2012
Queens, NY
tumblr_lxkk4xACbR1qhmfkuo1_400.gif

McDunna with Fries

Apr 9, 2012

I don't think it's really Richards favoritism, but more of Stepan having the magic touch of reviving slumping players. You don't want to break up Hags and Nash, and you want Gaby to get back into his groove, so getting him on the same line as Steps makes sense. I personally wouldn't break up the Hags-Step-Nash line but you could certainly see the logic behind it.

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012
I don't think it's really Richards favoritism, but more of Stepan having the magic touch of reviving slumping players. You don't want to break up Hags and Nash, and you want Gaby to get back into his groove, so getting him on the same line as Steps makes sense. I personally wouldn't break up the Hags-Step-Nash line but you could certainly see the logic behind it.

I understand the logic, but there is better ways of implementing the change. You let the lines work out as is, and then as the game progressed(hopefully with a significant lead)you make line adjustments.

Torts, instead, takes Richards(who hadn't played two games)and throws him on the first line with Nash.

Now, its probably going to take at least a couple games(if it works at all)for that line to start to getting its timing. Meanwhile, we run the risk of losing crucial points...

McDunna with Fries

Apr 9, 2012
I understand the logic, but there is better ways of implementing the change. You let the lines work out as is, and then as the game progressed(hopefully with a significant lead)you make line adjustments.

Torts, instead, takes Richards(who hadn't played two games)and throws him on the first line with Nash.

Now, its probably going to take at least a couple games(if it works at all)for that line to start to getting its timing. Meanwhile, we run the risk of losing crucial points...

I agree that there may be better ways of implementing the change, but it's worked so far, hasn't it? Richards, in his first game back, scored a goal and was on the ice during Nash's goal. It's not like the change has been hurting us. It's too early to tell so why not see how it plays out?

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012
I agree that there may be better ways of implementing the change, but it's worked so far, hasn't it? Richards, in his first game back, scored a goal and was on the ice during Nash's goal. It's not like the change has been hurting us. It's too early to tell so why not see how it plays out?

Not really, none of their goals were from really creating off of zone possession. In fact, they really didn't do much of anything most of the game.

The 2nd line, while they were able to get possession, looked a bit out of synch..

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Torts can really be a joke sometimes.

Bickel on D when you have Eminger, Gilroy, and Hamrlik? I just don't understand the thought process.

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012

Bickel on D when you have Eminger, Gilroy, and Hamrlik? I just don't understand the thought process.

To be fair, Bickel may not be playing. It may just be where he was practicing. I wouldn't be shocked if its Gilroy/Eminger next game...

Course with Torts you never know...

I can at least see why Hamrlik isn't playing. He really does need some conditioning stints. Dude is really out of shape...

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Considering he barely plays when he's in the lineup my theory is he says some great jokes on the bench or something.

Zynbanejad

To Blais or Not To Blais
Jul 7, 2010
I have no problem with Stepan playing with Callahan and Gaborik especially with Richards playing well with Hagelin and Nash. Step's line played pretty well yesterday. He's become a player who brings the best out of his linemates.

Maineice11

Dec 7, 2006
Maine
what's the latest on staal ?

Not much has been said. My guess his eye is pretty swollen and the swelling needs to go down enough. My guess when I hear he was alright was relief for him as a person and player and i'd say a week or 2, but everyone heals differently so you just don't know which is why his status needs to be indefinite.

Punxrocknyc19*

Considering he barely plays when he's in the lineup my theory is he says some great jokes on the bench or something.

im guessing that Bickel is a future family member with Torts or Sather.. maybe he is dating one of the family :amazed:

JD123

Mar 6, 2013
I'll kill myself if Bickel is playing D and put Stepan back with Nash and Hags! Torts you're a ****ing idiot!

totally agree! NUFF SAID. Don't fix something that aint broke and that first line was doing fine. Ughh

And Bickel does not belong here. Guarantee Bickel plays around 4-6 minutes and rest of D men have to pick up the load and wear themselves out.
Gilroy is no charm but I would take him over Bickel without blinking an eye.

TORTSSSS :rant:

5 4 Fighting

Registered snoozer
Feb 13, 2013
Bk all day
What's even scarier to me than Bickel playing as the 6th-7th D-man with Hammy out, is D. Powe on the THIRD line.

Now that is something to behold. Watch out gentlemen! Going to be a 3rd line with 4th liners on every other team in the league. How are we going to send out a 4th line after sending out our 3rd?

5 4 Fighting

Registered snoozer
Feb 13, 2013
Bk all day
This is what I would personally run

Hagelin-Stepan-Nash
Kreider-Richards-Gaborik
Pyatt-Miller/Halpern-Callahan
Haley-Boyle/Powe/Asham/Mashinter.

No more Bickel, no more Gilroy on a 4th line, no more Newbury, no more Seagal, what's next Torts? Hamrlik?

Would be an ideal situation to get Zuccarello back on this team so we have more LW depth. You know it's bad when you have 2 4th lines.

I really miss our depth.

azrok22

Mar 8, 2006
What's even scarier to me than Bickel playing as the 6th-7th D-man with Hammy out, is D. Powe on the THIRD line.

Now that is something to behold. Watch out gentlemen! Going to be a 3rd line with 4th liners on every other team in the league. How are we going to send out a 4th line after sending out our 3rd?

On the bright side . . .

Pyatt - Miller - Powe
Boyle - Halpern - Haley

. . . is an astronomical improvement over what we were running a few games ago with . . .

Pyatt - Boyle - Powe
Bickel - Halpern - Haley

At least it looks like we might be trying to score on the third line now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad