News Article: Practice Facility - Downtown Summerlin

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
We've got another location change, this one is great and is apparently moving along.

The new location for the practice facility is adjacent to Downtown Summerlin and should (surprisingly) be ready prior to the inaugural season.

Don't know how they can build that Penguins style facility in that short a time, or how Summerlin's going to let him do something that can be expanded to 4 rinks in their higher density plan downtown area, but the RJ is running with it so it must be somewhat real.

The location is right next to the proposed site for the new 51s stadium.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports...practice-facility-adjacent-downtown-summerlin

Jun 6, 2016
Hmm, I'll have to ask my city guy what happened. They had that deal wrapped up. I wonder what went wrong.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Hmm, I'll have to ask my city guy what happened. They had that deal wrapped up. I wonder what went wrong.

Just a change of plans I guess. Downtown Summerlin is a better location anyways with less parking requirements, like it says in the story the moms and dads can go eat or shop.

I'm sure Howard Hughes prefers this location, especially if the 51s stadium gets built right next door.

Jun 6, 2016
Just a change of plans I guess. Downtown Summerlin is a better location anyways with less parking requirements, like it says in the story the moms and dads can go eat or shop.

I'm sure Howard Hughes prefers this location, especially if the 51s stadium gets built right next door.

We've talked specifically about the 51s and cashman before. This might be a kick start to get that ballpark finally built.

Btw I do love the location for both of these and the reasoning.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
We've talked specifically about the 51s and cashman before. This might be a kick start to get that ballpark finally built.

I think that's just a matter of Howard Hughes figuring out what they're going to do with the Downtown area. Like I said before, they surveyed Summerlin residents asking if they'd support a stadium in Downtown Summerlin/Summerlin Centre.

Jun 6, 2016
I think that's just a matter of Howard Hughes figuring out what they're going to do with the Downtown area. Like I said before, they surveyed Summerlin residents asking if they'd support a stadium in Downtown Summerlin/Summerlin Centre.

If they polled locals so many would rather not go to that Cashman area. So sketch sometimes. I live further from DTS compared to Cashman and I'd definitely go to more games at DTS.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
If it's nicer than LVIC I'd like to do free skate there. It's a little farther away but I can get to Charleston in like 10 minutes so whatever.

Puckstop40

Aug 23, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I'd assume that UNLV hockey will make the switch over to this facility as well when built. Especially with the program looking to go to D1 in the coming years.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I'd assume that UNLV hockey will make the switch over to this facility as well when built. Especially with the program looking to go to D1 in the coming years.

Would've been nice if that process could've been completed befote I graduated.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Did you play at UNLV?

Nah. I was too busy making myself into a good student cause I could never be bothered when I was at Gorman :laugh:

I didn't even have time for adult level water polo.

Spent sophomore-senior year grinding to make up for my horrific freshman year where I partied too much.

I wish I had though.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Listening to Todd Pollock (VP of Ticket Sales/interim Social Media guy while there were like three people in the whole organization) on the SB podcast, apparently the practice facility will not be a replica of the Penguins facility as was shown on the VWH social media a few months ago.

So, perhaps we'll have a facility design announcement sometime soon.

KenSinBin

Jul 8, 2016
LV, NV
Listening to Todd Pollock (VP of Ticket Sales/interim Social Media guy while there were like three people in the whole organization) on the SB podcast, apparently the practice facility will not be a replica of the Penguins facility as was shown on the VWH social media a few months ago.

So, perhaps we'll have a facility design announcement sometime soon.

There was definitely a mishap there that they have kind of come clean on. Those images were never supposed to be tweeted out, they were just to show the city and county officials a general idea of what it would look like. Then someone wound up putting them on Twitter and the decision was made to leave it rather than run and hide.

The facility is not expected to look anything like the one in Pittsburgh. Other than the fact that the facility in Pittsburgh is really nice and a hockey practice facility.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
There was definitely a mishap there that they have kind of come clean on. Those images were never supposed to be tweeted out, they were just to show the city and county officials a general idea of what it would look like. Then someone wound up putting them on Twitter and the decision was made to leave it rather than run and hide.

The facility is not expected to look anything like the one in Pittsburgh. Other than the fact that the facility in Pittsburgh is really nice and a hockey practice facility.

That was a huge disappointment, that Penguins facility is awesome. Don't think you could build that up from desert dirt in a year, though. :laugh:

KenSinBin

Jul 8, 2016
LV, NV
I can't see that facility being done in a year no matter what it looks like. They were saying 18 months all along, then when we are 15 months out it suddenly can get done in 12. I'm skeptical, but hope I'm wrong cause I want to start reporting from there rather than the mortgage offices.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I can't see that facility being done in a year no matter what it looks like. They were saying 18 months all along, then when we are 15 months out it suddenly can get done in 12. I'm skeptical, but hope I'm wrong cause I want to start reporting from there rather than the mortgage offices.

I hope they don't rush it. Having a nice place seems more important than having a place quick. Especially since, if the players are going to live in Summerlin (like it seems they will) the Las Vegas Ice Center can serve as a practice facility for a season if that's what it takes.

Teams having their own fancy special training centers is a fairly new concept, it's not the cornerstone of a franchise.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
The lease on the practice facility land has been signed. 20 years.

They've already started grading the land (I know, I've been stuck behind the GD gravel trucks leaving the site twice in the past week) and hope to have it ready in time for the season.

It's not in this story, but apparently they're going to have restaurants on the front portion of the facility overlooking the rinks and all of the team offices in the facility. It should fit well into Downtown Summerlin.

http://news3lv.com/news/local/las-v...year-lease-for-practice-facility-in-summerlin

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Sounds similar to Sharks Ice (SJ). One end of facility is rink plus dressing/locker rooms, gym, etc. Other end has three rinks with restaurant that over looks 'em.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad