PP

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Power play. At this point it is more like the most powerless play ever.

Here is what they have to do.

I remember when we had Yzerman, Fedorov, Larionov ... lidstrom would just skate to the red line, wind up and shoot the puck in and we would go to battle for the puck. This team has to do it, keep it simple and the goals will come. Those pathetic drop passes look beyond stupid.

InGusWeTrust

hockey.tk
May 6, 2009
Michigan
hockey.tk
The issue is...we don't have a single person on our team that can compete like Yzerman, Fedorov, Larionov or Lidstrom. Nobody on our roster today is a talent like those guys.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Power play. At this point it is more like the most powerless play ever.

Here is what they have to do.

I remember when we had Yzerman, Fedorov, Larionov ... lidstrom would just skate to the red line, wind up and shoot the puck in and we would go to battle for the puck. This team has to do it, keep it simple and the goals will come. Those pathetic drop passes look beyond stupid.

Yes. We need to run the same system we did when we had four Hall of Fame players. It clearly was the SYSTEM that made that power play so good.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
The issue is...we don't have a single person on our team that can compete like Yzerman, Fedorov, Larionov or Lidstrom. Nobody on our roster today is a talent like those guys.

My point is that even when we had a way better team, they would simplify things, while this roster tries complicated stuff. The main problem is entering the zone, so just shoot it in and battle for the puck and keep it simple from there on.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Let's not act like Detroit just rang it around on the PP. Fedorov and Datsyuk made zone entry an afterthought more often than not for two decades.

And when we had to shoot it in we could do that because guys like Yzerman and Fedorov and Datsyuk and Zetterberg, despite being the most skilled on the team, could regularly win puck battles better than anyone on the team.

Additionally, all of those guys in their prime could be patient with the puck and back defenders off. Opponents no longer have to back off. They can aggressively attack whoever has the puck with minimal fear. There's none of those big names up front and there's certainly no Lidstrom manning the point. Whenever I see Nyquist or Tatar get the puck and I see a defender attack I assume that it's going to get cleared.

The PP should still be more productive though.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Yes. We need to run the same system we did when we had four Hall of Fame players. It clearly was the SYSTEM that made that power play so good.

Fair point. I think a significant problem is much of our roster is struggling to win puck battles. Look back at old replays of Yzerman and Feds and see how effortlessly they won 1 on 1 battles all day long. Then there was Datsyuk and Zetterberg, both absolutely elite along the boards and stealing pucks.

Now we have an older and slower Zetterberg and Nielsen carrying that load. It's a pretty significant drop. There's some hope Mantha and Larkin can grow into these roles a bit more, but it's not going to be like it was.

It's little things like that, maintaining that puck and putting in into scoring areas, that makes the difference between a top 10 PP and a bottom 10. All these guys can shoot and pass at a high level, but can you create those openings consistently?

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Dylan Larkin is not a good PP player at all right now. I think you use Tatar and Nyquist to enter the zone. Instead of the puck on Zetterberg and Kronwall's stick, I think Green needs to run the first unit. He needs to direct traffic and look to get shots off. Mantha needs to play the dot and be a one-timer on that side and then just ****ing crash the net. Worth a shot.

Second unit, I really like Vanek-Frans-Gus together. Vanek is so calm and slick. He creates chances on the PP. Add in a net guy and a shot (Sproul?).

DATS-O-MATIC

Nov 23, 2004
Dylan Larkin is not a good PP player at all right now. I think you use Tatar and Nyquist to enter the zone. Instead of the puck on Zetterberg and Kronwall's stick, I think Green needs to run the first unit. He needs to direct traffic and look to get shots off. Mantha needs to play the dot and be a one-timer on that side and then just ****ing crash the net. Worth a shot.

Second unit, I really like Vanek-Frans-Gus together. Vanek is so calm and slick. He creates chances on the PP. Add in a net guy and a shot (Sproul?).

Tatar-Z-AntMan
Larkin-Green ...Larkin skates in for zone entry

Vanek-Nielsen-Gus
Sproul
Sheahan/Abby(net front) or Kronner/Ouellet or let AA skate it in.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
AA isn't strong enough on the boards for my liking right now. That's where he would be. I'm okay with AA not on the PP right now. I like the idea of throwing shots and letting Jurco try and deflect something.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Stop having the old slow guys who don't move run the PP. When Zetterberg and Kronwall are dominating the puck and stay stationary and can't or don't move everyone else follows suit and the whole team is just standing in place.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
the powerplay is just terrible all the way around

can't gain entries and when they do nobody wants to shoot the puck

Shadywing19

Jan 26, 2013
The skate it to the red line ad drop it back to the last guy play they seem to be set on is the absolute worst zone entry play I've ever seen. The opposition just lines 4 guys up on the bus line forcing a dump in. Which is basically useless when u run a pp full of soft on the forecheck players. I don't know why they can't keep it simple and have guy break it in to the half wall throw on the breaks. Delay and set it up.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
we should give Riley Sheahan more minutes and mix in some Glendening

there's a real chance here to go for a modern record if we drop a few more points

gonna be awful? by god let's be the BEST at being awful,I say go for it and make history

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
If we had a plan that would be one thing but the truth is the same players would look like crap on the offence. Imagine draper and McCarty on the powerplay. The add no plan of attack and you have this sad powerless play.

Last edited:

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
The skate it to the red line ad drop it back to the last guy play they seem to be set on is the absolute worst zone entry play I've ever seen. The opposition just lines 4 guys up on the bus line forcing a dump in. Which is basically useless when u run a pp full of soft on the forecheck players. I don't know why they can't keep it simple and have guy break it in to the half wall throw on the breaks. Delay and set it up.

The Red Wings post 2005 innovated entries like that. The drop is still used by every team today. It gets the opposition standing sill and the late man sails right in. My problem is they resort to this old method like programmed drones- there are multiple ways to enter based on the circumstances. There are instances when a dump in is great. At one time the Wings were the best, most creative team in the world who were copied and studied. Some day we will return to that I hope.

Lately the PP has been better. Green, Vanek, Nielsen, Mantha, Nyquist, etc. for what it's worth we have some guys who can control the puck, make plays, and pose a threat. Stay patient, look for shots and open lanes. I believe they can get it done.

As obey said the real problem lies in the complete deterioration of Kronwall and Zetterberg. Also agree Larkin, Athanasiou, and Tatar are either too frantic or immature to really settle things down and forcefully execute.

Load up one unit and play our best guys the entire PP like we've seen Chicago, Pittsburgh, Washington do. Yeah their 1st unit comes off the ice but not always...

borisbadenough

Mar 25, 2013
There are only two guys on the Wing's pp who are still dangerous with the puck imo, Green with his decision making and point shot, Vanek in so many ways. Start from there, add Mantha to rotate in and out with Vanek from the half walls, some zone entry, not named Larkin (2nd unit), and some IQ/vision probably named Z. When in front of the net use Vanek higher/ six +/- feet out. Mantha in tight.

You pick the last one or two and make sure he is responsible and can add to zone entry entry and possession. Please do not say Sproul. He is far from ready to play with them

The pp is mostly IQ and brain speed .lol

Last edited:

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
One of the problems seems to be that we're trying to score from the point. I'm not sure that has ever worked. I'm pretty sure 90% of PP goals are scored within 15 feet of the net, either a tip, rebound, or cross-crease pass. But 100% of our energy is spent trying to get our pointmen a good look.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Let's not act like Detroit just rang it around on the PP. Fedorov and Datsyuk made zone entry an afterthought more often than not for two decades.

And when we had to shoot it in we could do that because guys like Yzerman and Fedorov and Datsyuk and Zetterberg, despite being the most skilled on the team, could regularly win puck battles better than anyone on the team.

Additionally, all of those guys in their prime could be patient with the puck and back defenders off. Opponents no longer have to back off. They can aggressively attack whoever has the puck with minimal fear. There's none of those big names up front and there's certainly no Lidstrom manning the point. Whenever I see Nyquist or Tatar get the puck and I see a defender attack I assume that it's going to get cleared.

The PP should still be more productive though.

Having 2 of the best puck-handlers of the past quarter century making zone entries shouldn't be the bar. Nor should a top 10 NHL all-time scorer or a top 3 all time defenseman. 2/3 of the NHL would blow on the PP if that were the case.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Don't worry guys, the solution has been found. Steve Ott is finally on the power play.

---

Helene St. James ‏@HeleneStJames 55m55 minutes ago
Some new PP looks at #RedWings practice: Nielsen, Vanek, Nyquist, Larkin, Athanasiou and Zetterberg, Kronwall, Mantha, Tatar, Ott.

Helene St. James ‏@HeleneStJames 34m34 minutes ago
Today's changes on #RedWings PP basically Steve Ott takes place of Riley Sheahan, Larkin shifts to other unit, Athanasiou replaces Smith.

----

Looks like we are going with an all forward PP unit as well?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Mantha is wasted in a net-front role. Not because he's not good at it, but because he has so many other abilities that our other players don't. He needs to be a bigger part of the strategy.

Sproul can also not spend so much time outside of the lineup when he clearly has the skill to QB a powerplay.

I would place Larkin and Abdelkader as the net-fronts. Green on one PP, Sproul on the other. Zetterberg/Vanek as the main guys controlling the play in the zone. Nyquist/Tatar as rovers, trying to open up the PK unit by moving around and looking for openings. Mantha on the point as a shooter.

Zetterberg-Larkin (net front)-Tatar
Green - Mantha

Vanek - Abdelkader (net front) - Nyquist
Sproul - Nielsen/Athanasiou

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
Maybe if they actually started screening goalies and moving around? Would be a good start.

That would be a great start, it is way too often everyone besides the puck carrier is just standing there in the offensive zone. The other 4 players need to make themselves harder to defend. If the skates are not moving fast enough they are not trying hard enough!

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
Everyone knows how much I hate the neutral zone drop pass.

I also hate our stationary play. Move around. Force the other team to move around. Walk in the open spaces. Stop gratuitous passes.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Everyone knows how much I hate the neutral zone drop pass.

I also hate our stationary play. Move around. Force the other team to move around. Walk in the open spaces. Stop gratuitous passes.

The neutral zone drop pass (a Detroit original), is still used by 90% of the league. The good news for you is that we have largely abandoned it. Not for any strategic purpose mind you, but because our players are too undisciplined to properly communicate and execute it.

Carl33

Aug 25, 2007
I think Blashill need to put Ryan Sproul in the press box, this will help the powerplay

:sarcasm:

seriously, I think he paid enough...get Jensen out/sproul in as soon as possible

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00