PP Scoring Question

TCurrie15

Sep 9, 2017
I thought this is not a PP goal when:

http://sabres.ice.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=3659
Power-Play Goal
A goal scored by a Club while it has a manpower advantage due to an opponent's penalty.

Following are some examples of what is and is not considered a power-play goal:
--- if a Club has an advantage on a minor penalty starting at 2:02 of the period and it scores at 4:02, the goal is not a power-play goal.

But on Friday Columbus @ St. Louis 11-1-19 Sonny Milano had a penalty at 18:08 of the third period. In overtime David Perron scores at 0:08, ( OT: D. Perron (7) 0:08 (PPG).

So, the question is according to NHL.com is a PP goal. Has the original rule has always been there, or has been changed over the years?

Thanks, or any info.

John

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
My understanding of the rule is identical to yours - although I don't know how tenths of a second are incorporated, and at what point in the game that level of gradation matters.

Don't rule out the possibility that the online game summary are incorrect - I have a running list of places where they have a win or loss ascribed to the wrong goalie; sometimes, they correct them, but I see a few that are still false.

Here's a direct link to the game summary:
Game Summary

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

morehockeystats

Unusual hockey stats
Dec 13, 2016
Columbus
morehockeystats.com
I thought this is not a PP goal when:

http://sabres.ice.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=3659
Power-Play Goal
A goal scored by a Club while it has a manpower advantage due to an opponent's penalty.

Following are some examples of what is and is not considered a power-play goal:
--- if a Club has an advantage on a minor penalty starting at 2:02 of the period and it scores at 4:02, the goal is not a power-play goal.

But on Friday Columbus @ St. Louis 11-1-19 Sonny Milano had a penalty at 18:08 of the third period. In overtime David Perron scores at 0:08, ( OT: D. Perron (7) 0:08 (PPG).

So, the question is according to NHL.com is a PP goal. Has the original rule has always been there, or has been changed over the years?

Thanks, or any info.

John
Just as Dr. No mentioned:
This is a mistake of the scorekeeper and I've run into numerous ones like this when building my penalty browser.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
So, factually/technically you have one question and practically you could have another depending on what you're trying to accomplish.

For instance, depending on the period and the rink, I calculate a 5 to 8 second buffer for my PPG per 2 minute stat for the team I coach...as it takes time for the game to normalize after a player is no longer sequestered...

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
That should definitely be a PPG. I watched and slowed it down and when Perron had released the shot after the little curl and drag, there was still a second left on the Penalty. It actually might even cross the goal line with fraction of a second still on the penalty. As soon as you see the net bulge from the puck moving it, the second goes down to :00 almost at the same time.

Milano wasn't out of the box and on the ice, the play was still a 4on3 advantage for STL. Trying to say that that's not a PPG by the letter of the law is extreme pedantry/excessive formality.

2PPgams.png

It's still listed as one on the Gamecenter for this game.

morehockeystats

Unusual hockey stats
Dec 13, 2016
Columbus
morehockeystats.com
That should definitely be a PPG. I watched and slowed it down and when Perron had released the shot after the little curl and drag, there was still a second left on the Penalty. It actually might even cross the goal line with fraction of a second still on the penalty. As soon as you see the net bulge from the puck moving it, the second goes down to :00 almost at the same time.

Milano wasn't out of the box and on the ice, the play was still a 4on3 advantage for STL. Trying to say that that's not a PPG by the letter of the law is extreme pedantry/excessive formality.

2PPgams.png

It's still listed as one on the Gamecenter for this game.
Then the time of the goal must be adjusted to 0:07 rather than 0:08.

We're forced into pedantries and excessive formalities if we want to feed our data to computers.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
It's *always* been the case that it's not officially considered a power play goal even when a player's been released for even a few seconds but hasn't yet rejoined the play.

It's not excessive formality, it's consistency. Consistency is important.

morehockeystats

Unusual hockey stats
Dec 13, 2016
Columbus
morehockeystats.com
It's *always* been the case that it's not officially considered a power play goal even when a player's been released for even a few seconds but hasn't yet rejoined the play.

It's not excessive formality, it's consistency. Consistency is important.
by the way, in their own models, people may and even possibly should treat a goal or even any offensive event following an expiration of a penalty as a PP event. With slightly longer grace span for the 2nd period.
/note to myself, need to make an adjustment to my own model/

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
So, factually/technically you have one question and practically you could have another depending on what you're trying to accomplish.

For instance, depending on the period and the rink, I calculate a 5 to 8 second buffer for my PPG per 2 minute stat for the team I coach...as it takes time for the game to normalize after a player is no longer sequestered...

by the way, in their own models, people may and even possibly should treat a goal or even any offensive event following an expiration of a penalty as a PP event. With slightly longer grace span for the 2nd period.
/note to myself, need to make an adjustment to my own model/

To me a PP isn't really 'over' until the puck leaves the zone. I even think the team that was just on the PK should be allowed to ice it one more time if the penalty expires and the puck is still in their zone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad