Powerskating: Worth the money?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveyCrockett

Dec 8, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I have been playing hockey for about two years (I'm 19). I have little athletic ability or talent, but i go out to shinny a lot and I am on the ice 3 times a week during the winter. I'm looking into adult powerskating classes this summer but I'm not sure if its worth it. It costs around $17-19 per hour/session for about 14 sessions total. This gets me 14 hours of skating, but I would otherwise spend that money going to shinny an extra two times per week at $5 per 2 hour/session. So its $10 for 4 hours (2 hours of actual skating) or close to $20 for 2 hours. I'm a poor skater, I have decent top-end speed but my agility, quickness, and acceleration are weak. I don't mind spending the money if it will help me more than lots of shinny will. I'll still be playing organized hockey twice a week in addition to whatever I do.

Last edited:

Papadice

Apr 29, 2003
Moncton, NB, Canada
www.myfhl.net
If you put in the effort that's needed, you'll get a tonne out of it... Definitely worth the money... However, if you don't push yourself as much as you can, it's not worth it because you'll be wasting your money...

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
I have not done this personally, but every kid I have coached has improved dramatically after taking power skating instruction.

If you can afford it, go for it.

Reiher

May 30, 2004
Vancouver
it's awsome

take power skating, it's not gonna teach you that much about hockey, but you're learning that through shinny hockey anyways. Depending on your teacher you can skate away with much improvement. Back in the day when i was 14 learning to skate before playing hockey, had it not been for power skating, I wouldn't be as fast and strong on my skates as I am now. They'll fix all the lil wrong things you do. Though, if you don't practice, don't bother.

DaveyCrockett

Dec 8, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I've decided to do the powerskating. I was thinking of taking it at Ice Sports Scarborough in Toronto. Does anyone have any experience with that place, or can recommend a good adult powerskating program near the Markham/Scaborough area of the GTA? Also, how can I quickly figure out how good an instructor is before I spend my money? Should I just ask him to talk about the program and go from there? Thanks for the help.

Tuff Gong

Nov 6, 2005
Kelowna
I went to power skating all the way through minor hockey, was taught by the Phildelphia flyers skating coach (dont know if he still is) his names David Roy. I actualy helped teach some power skating as well. i highly recommend it, it will help you stay stronger on your feet, better strides, more acceleration..hell to sum it up you'll turn from having wobbley ankles to danglin through the other team (hopefully :D )

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
Yes. Power skating is completely worth it. I use to be an average skater, nothing to great, but I wasn't horrible either. I did 1 class of power skating over 2 months in the summer. The next season, I was 30 times the skater I was before. I was drafted 4th overall among local teams and was highly touted in my league from the start of that season. Trust me, power skating is worth every penny.

Hyped

Feb 27, 2002
Tombstone
Visit site
Power skating is the best thing for any hockey player. It'll improve your power (duh!), acceleration, agility, and speed. It's a must for any serious player...

Benji Frank

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
My son's friends parent and I put our sons in a powerskating class last summer (7 year olds). They were required to wear full equipment, but there was no puck to be seen. The improvement they made was phenomenal & the confidence they have on the rink now is great ... we reenrolled them this fall & will likely do so again next summer.

We took it through www.icesports.com which seems to be across Canada & is probably roughly the same rate as what you're looking at paying....

UvBnDatsyuked

Apr 30, 2005
Find someone who does video break down's of your stride. Take a bunch of notes and then every few months have someone video tape you again and go over the notes you took. You'll be surprised by how many flaws can be diagnosed by yourself once you learn what to look for

Beatnik

Sep 2, 2002
Québec
Visit site
Grave77digger said:
The place local to me is charging $155 for 3 classes 1.5 hours each. That seems VERY expesive for so few classes. Is that over priced?

I'm a HUGE fan of power skating. I saw it making miracle on some guys but that's just too much money IMO.

nic29+

May 5, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
This is my sons 3rd year in hockey and he's 8 years old. The first year he had no clue how to skate he had only been skating once before we put him in hockey. After that year we put him in power skating and what a difference. He went again this year and I'll put him in it every year because he just keeps learning and he's now one of the better skaters on his team.

Definately YES in my books.

WVCapsFan

Jan 19, 2006
I think it is worth it, especially if it comes at a good time in a person's development.

I may have made a mistake by not going to one every year. I went to Laura Stamm's 2 years ago, but not last year. I'm going to try and take some sort (3 day instead of 5 day) of power skating clinic this year.

ToNedOuT

Apr 22, 2004
Victoria BC
Grave77digger said:
The place local to me is charging $155 for 3 classes 1.5 hours each. That seems VERY expesive for so few classes. Is that over priced?

I just registered for power skating and it cost me $105 for seven 1 hour classes...it's with 13 other people though, not sure if yours is 1 on 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad