Powerplay Lines and Problems

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
Hey guy, with training camp in session, I got thinking about how bad our PP was last year and how much better it can be this year with the new additions. Here's my problem though, I can't seem to think of lines for our PP1 and PP2 lines. The biggest issue is on the right half boards, how many players do we have that usually take up that spot?

Nuge, Hall has done it in the past, Nail for the 1 timer, and now Leon was very effective and dangerous from that spot at the rookie tourney. So there is a huge log jam there. What do you guys suspect the PP lines will be?

I honestly can't even come up with lines myself. All I know is we need net presence and even distribution of talent.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Hey guy, with training camp in session, I got thinking about how bad our PP was last year and how much better it can be this year with the new additions. Here's my problem though, I can't seem to think of lines for our PP1 and PP2 lines. The biggest issue is on the right half boards, how many players do we have that usually take up that spot?

Nuge, Hall has done it in the past, Nail for the 1 timer, and now Leon was very effective and dangerous from that spot at the rookie tourney. So there is a huge log jam there. What do you guys suspect the PP lines will be?

I honestly can't even come up with lines myself. All I know is we need net presence and even distribution of talent.
#1 Hall - RNH - Eberle - Schultz
#2 Perron - Drai - Yak - Nurse

I could see that happening a lot imo

Oct 30, 2011
RNH
Net
Eberle-Hall
Nikitin-Schultz

RNH is the puck recovery guy behind the net who rotates with Hall. Eberle is on his comfy side on the PP. Hall is open for a one-timer. Hall, Eberle, and Nikitin can all set-up Schultz easily. Nikitin is the first guy back on defense just in case. :P

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
Unit 1:
Pouliot/Purcell in front of the net
Eberle along the left half wall
Hall around the net at the right side
Nuge right half wall (him and hall will obviously be rotating a lot)
Schultz manning the point.

Unit 2:
Perron along the left half wall
Draisaitl around the net on the right side
Yak along the right half wall (like nuge and hall, him and Drai will be rotating a lot during the PP and yak scored a lot of his goals around the net in his rookie season on the PP)
Nikitin manning the point.

I know it's 4 forwards and 1 D on each unit but we are on the powerplay and that's puts us in the best position to succeed IMO.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Unit 1:

Unit 2:
Yak along the right half wall (like nuge and hall, him and Drai will be rotating a lot during the PP and yak scored a lot of his goals around the net in his rookie season on the PP)

I know it's 4 forwards and 1 D on each unit but we are on the powerplay and that's puts us in the best position to succeed IMO.

You're not wrong in stating this, as it's going to be true, but it just makes me cringe.

How can a guy with such skill and puck ability not be able to hold it in the zone?

PumpkinBombX

Jan 29, 2009
Okay, so PP1 needs to run through RNH on the half boards.

He shoots left so you need two RH shot options on the point (think of the umbrella)

So that gives you Schultz and somebody else. (maybe Petry)

You then have Hall down low, and you might have Eberle or Yak playing on the right size. You might see Puliot down low as well depending on the need for traffic.

PP 2. This is where our biggest need is for a 2C. Gagner couldn't run the PP last year. He's like an Eberle in that he can score back door goals. They were playing him like Hall, to get down low and in the corners, and they Had Hemsky on the 1/2 boards and it didn't work.

Draisaitl also shoots left, but we have a lot of Left shooting defenceman.
So they may want to try Eberle QB'ing the 2nd line PP, as he can feed 2 left d-men, and Perron on the other wing as well (Perron would play a role like Hall playing low, but sneaking up and down.)
Surely they'll have a big body in front, maybe Puliot or whomever.

Edit: just wanted to throw in a reason why Gagner and Hemsky, i thought, didn't work on a PP. When they had the puck they would just stand there. Why RNH can QB a PP is he moves around a lot more on the 1/2 boards to open up lanes. with the other two, they just sat there and all you had to do was block your lane and no one was getting open.

Yakupov has an amazing shot, I think his shot is better than Stamkos, his release is close, but he is bad at creating space for himself. Which is where Stamkos excels at. Thats why Yak plays well with Hall is because Hall creates space for everyone!

slim2001

Aug 2, 2008
Alberta
Unit 1:

Unit 2:

Looks good. Not sure on Nikitin, if Nurse makes the team would like to lot him there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad