Line Combos: Power Play: Should Rick Nash be on it?

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
This is just, incorrect on so many levels.

We lost a center who sucked at even strength and was slower than all hell, a 3rd line winger, a 4th line winger, and Stralman. We replaced Stralman with someone MUCH better offensively (although worse defensively), replaced Boyle with Glass (ugh), and the only two holes to fill are Richards and Pouliot. And I'd even argue Pouliot would be harder to replace than Richards.

Agreed. PooPoo while being a bonehead with stupid penalties was one of our better performers and his hard nosed style of play will be a significant loss and not easily replaced. He was the kind of player that we tried to get in acquiring Clowe 2 years ago. JT might be the one possibility that we have in replacing him in house.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I voted no, but On the positive side, he needs to be there for his confidence and opportunities.

Reason(s) I voted no, has been provided by above. He's a below average passer, holds on to the puck too long (while everyone else becomes a spectator) and NEVER gets in front to create havoc.

Nash creates space but only in open ice like on a 3 on 2. Speed is not important in the offensive zone on PP, quickness IS. Again, he's a lousy passer, I question his hockey IQ, not to mention he is VERY WEAK on the boards.......loses most "battles".

A player with his reputation should be DOMINANT on the PP, regrettably he is NOT! Btw, where is all this speed he used to have? When he was with the Jackets he used to get at least a couple of breakaways every night. He's lost a step.

Let's put it this way, how can he be more dangerous on the PK than on the PP? Answer......open ice availability.

Zuccha should play the amount of minutes on the PP that Richards did (often 1:45 of it) that would easily replace Richards contribution last year, AND he would be less likely to get burned by a turnover at the point.

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
Zuccha should play the amount of minutes on the PP that Richards did (often 1:45 of it) that would easily replace Richards contribution last year, AND he would be less likely to get burned by a turnover at the point.

But one was on the point and the other is a forward. Boyle is replacing Richards' minutes.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
But one was on the point and the other is a forward. Boyle is replacing Richards' minutes.

That's not my point. I'm saying that the PP should be run through Zuccha. He has every bit the intelligence with the puck as Richards with much less turnovers.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
That's not my point. I'm saying that the PP should be run through Zuccha. He has every bit the intelligence with the puck as Richards with much less turnovers.

Zucc could theoretically be the other PP QB... The only thing is everyone on the team is afraid to shoot, and Zucc is absolutely a "pass-first" guy, so you could get any bang in slappers from the point...

Zucc could, however, work the OTHER power away from the person who is QB'ing the PP... that might be an option

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
Agreed. PooPoo while being a bonehead with stupid penalties was one of our better performers and his hard nosed style of play will be a significant loss and not easily replaced. He was the kind of player that we tried to get in acquiring Clowe 2 years ago. JT might be the one possibility that we have in replacing him in house.

That's what I've been saying. They badly need another net front guy. Nash is not it. I'm hoping miller can be. He has the skill set and ruggedness for it

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site

should run through Zucc? You would have Boyle and McD on points and Stepan down low kind of controlling things. Sorry, not totally understanding your point. Think it's still early for me.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Rick Nash is not the reason for the teams lack luster PP.

The lack of a shoot first mentality right hander is part of it.

The lack of a point shot is part of it.

The lack of a legit PPQB is part of it.

The lack of a Net front presence is part of it.

Nash is not a net front guy. He's a preimeter player and a sniper in the truest sense.

Because we do not have a bomb from the point, I would put 4 forwards and Boyle out on the PP.

Kreider, Stepan, St. Louis, Nash and Boyle.

Slap Stepan silly every time he passes when eh should shoot.

Stepan to the goalies right
Kreider in front of the goalie
Nash to the goalies left
St. Louis to roam
Boyle to QB from the point.

We need a player to draw coverage in front to cause havoc, Kreider has the size to warrant double coverage there.

will be interesting to see how things shake out.

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site

Nash is not a net front guy. He's a preimeter player and a sniper in the truest sense.

Because we do not have a bomb from the point, I would put 4 forwards and Boyle out on the PP.

Nash to the goalies left
St. Louis to roam

We need a player to draw coverage in front to cause havoc, Kreider has the size to warrant double coverage there.

I happen to like Stepan a lot, but my biggest criticism of him is he will pass, even if he's run out of real estate. He has a decent wrist shot. He's also a darn good puckhandler and passer. He needs to find that balance and find his way to 20-25 goals this season. He has the skills and shot. He just needs to be a little selfish out there at times.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
i think a team that was a top5 team in the NHL after the new year, and made a run to the SCF will be a playoff contender easily, even with the turnover we've had.

I thik you get Ribeiro and Booth and this team could be roughly the same as last years...a bit better in the top 9, a bit worse on the bottom 3 depending on who plays where.

(barring major injuries)

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I happen to like Stepan a lot, but my biggest criticism of him is he will pass, even if he's run out of real estate. He has a decent wrist shot. He's also a darn good puckhandler and passer. He needs to find that balance and find his way to 20-25 goals this season. He has the skills and shot. He just needs to be a little selfish out there at times.

Agreed.

We need a little more selfishness on the PP this year.

we over passed way to much looking for the perfect or should I say pretty goals.

Not every goal is going to look like that MSL PP goal against Montreal.

Picture perfect passing, finished off with a laser to the top corner.

Most PP goals are and should be ugly.

Radek27

May 19, 2004
NJ
If he's not on the PP why is he even on the team? Oh yeah he's a great defensive winger now. I'm so glad we got him for his PK and checking abilities, well worth the price we paid.

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
If he's not on the PP why is he even on the team? Oh yeah he's a great defensive winger now. I'm so glad we got him for his PK and checking abilities, well worth the price we paid.

Well he is their best even strength scorer by a wide margin (maybe not as wide with Msl, but still)

Radek27

May 19, 2004
NJ
Well he is their best even strength scorer by a wide margin (maybe not as wide with Msl, but still)

Right now he's barely a 30 goal guy so I wouldn't say a wide margin. I think we have a few guys on the roster with 30 goal potential besides Nash.

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site

Both Nash and St. Louis were tied with 20 ES goals last season. Nobody on the Rangers aside from Brad Richards scored 20 goals (in total). So even though Nash didn't put up great numbers, and didn't play the full season, his numbers were comparatively good on the Rangers team even though he likely was the focus of other teams' defense schemes since there weren't many other offensive threats.

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
Right now he's barely a 30 goal guy so I wouldn't say a wide margin. I think we have a few guys on the roster with 30 goal potential besides Nash.

I doubt you see anyone come close, except MSL.

I think they have quite a few 20 goal guys, Step, Kreids, Zucc, Brass, Hags. But not 30.

I mean only 20 guys in the entire NHL hit 30 goals last year.

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site

Who? Nobody aside from St. Louis scored 20 goals last season, let alone 30 goals. 26 goals in 65 games isn't 30 goals, and 21 goals in 44 games isn't 30 goals, but it does lend some credibility to anyone thinking Nash can score 30 goals next season if healthy.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island

This board is too funny some times.

Barely a 30 goal guy. 109 games as a Ranger, 47 goals = 0.431 goals/game. 30 goal season would be 0.367.

Even if you include his playoff games, which are never counted in actual stats, he's at 0.349 which is just below it.

Radek27

May 19, 2004
NJ
Who? Nobody aside from St. Louis scored 20 goals last season, let alone 30 goals. 26 goals in 65 games isn't 30 goals, and 21 goals in 44 games isn't 30 goals, but it does lend some credibility to anyone thinking Nash can score 30 goals next season if healthy.

I think Kreider has 30 goal potential

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida

Nash to the goalies left
St. Louis to roam

Sounds good. Now all we need is someone to win faceoff's. That's a HUGE problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad