Power Play - how to fix it...

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
BTW, I don't see a problem with zone entries on the PP. That's not where the fail occurs.

I disagree. They lack awareness. If the opposition is blockading the blueline then you dump and chase. If they give you space you carry in with speed. They Habs can't decide what to do.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Habs have the wrong mind-set. Their PP is built around the wrong guy, you don't build your PP around a finisher unless you have crazy good passers like Kuznetzov or Backstrom for example...

but since we don't, PP needs to be built around the playmakers, the setup guys, that's what Habs were doing with Markov here, sure they added weapons (Kovalev, Souray, etc), but the PP setup always went trough the playmaker, Markov, HE was the one choosing to use this or that weapon... The PP was built around Markov strenght (cross ice pass to Kovy, and then Galchenyuk or the pass to his D partner, sometimes he was also moving up the ice to the half-board)

I agree. And our PP was doing better when Drouin was playing the point because he had that playmaker role.

I like Drouin at the point, and Kotkaniemi on the half boards. I'd try something with Drouin, Kotka, Weber. Get Petry off the first unit, he might have better luck on the second unit.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I disagree. They lack awareness. If the opposition is blockading the blueline then you dump and chase. If they give you space you carry in with speed. They Habs can't decide what to do.

I would love to see statistics on PP zone entries, PP zone time. I'd put money on us doing well in these two categories. We just have crappy execution in the O zone, no shooters, and no real plan to create scoring chances at 5v4.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I also want to say that it is tough to score on the pp without someone both big enough and willing to stand in front of the net and provide a screen. I was hoping that Michael McCarron would have been that player.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I also want to say that it is tough to score on the pp without someone both big enough and willing to stand in front of the net and provide a screen. I was hoping that Michael McCarron would have been that player.

Name me a team in the NHL with a good PP throughout the years who has that guy. I don't think that's an actual thing.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I would love to see statistics on PP zone entries, PP zone time. I'd put money on us doing well in these two categories. We just have crappy execution in the O zone, no shooters, and no real plan to create scoring chances at 5v4.

I agree with that. I'm just saying that everything is a problem with the PP. Losing faceoffs, poor entries, no shooters (excluding Weber) and very little creativity / movement. There is no flow - they look confused and scared.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Feed the point - throw pucks at the net - get traffic in front. Simplify simplify simplify until it starts to click again. Just pound pucks on the net. Eventually some will go in and the monkey will be off of everybody's back.

Reactions: OldCraig71

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Name me a team in the NHL with a good PP throughout the years who has that guy. I don't think that's an actual thing.
Tim Kerr comes to mind, he made a living standing there and that was in a time when the NHL was much more tolerant of hacking and whacking, ever hear of Billy Smith?

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Kotkaniemi on the half wall and Drouin on the left point and Weber of course in his right point position.

fast passing is swell and all but when it doesnt cause defenders to be out of position it amounts to diddly squat. We need to pressure the D by threatening to take the puck in so seams and lanes open up. Drouin has really picked up his game, we need him to step up on the PP, and hopefully The Eagle can create some offense.

euhchepas

Jan 16, 2015
When they win the initial draw on the pp, they look fine getting a few good looks but once the puck is out of the zone they have trouble getting setup again. It's not even the zone entry, it's bad passes in the zone making it difficult to keep the puck moving. I really think it's in their head because these bad passes nevet happend at 5v5.

Yes something has to be done but in my opinion it's more about their confidence than actual strategy. We wont get a top PP but with the talent we have it should be at least middle of the pack.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I’d have Shaw as the faceoff man and net presence. Weber obviously on 1 point, and I’d have Drouin on the other. Up front I’d have Domi and Tatar on the half wall. I think that would be our best formation.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
There's a system used on the PP and every team uses it. When you look at Tampa go 2 for 2 against the Jets, they're not doing anything drastically different, they just have the talent we dont. Why don't teams just copy what they're doing?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad