Power Balance

Backstrom #19

Trotz for president
May 12, 2007
Savannah Georgia
I've seen Ovechkin and Backstrom from the Caps wearing them...I personally went and bought one. No idea if it actually works, but I'll take any small advantage I can get.

jmichael7753*

Jan 24, 2009
Scam scam scam, google it.

I heard about all that but then you have all these pro athletes came out and defended them along with professional sports teams with actual proven tests so I do know but I got one on Amazon for cheap so Ill give it a try.

hsing

Jan 10, 2008
put this money on a physical trainer who will give you exercices to work on your balance...

Nakket

Sep 27, 2010
Pro athletes "defending" these things does not mean they work. For one, some of them probably have a contract with the company, so defending is really just promoting. For my second point, I direct you toward superstition. Athletes (of all levels) can be very weird. They'll attribute a scoring streak to not washing their socks or the way they taped their stick. These things are just another little good luck trinket they know deep down does not work.

I think it's more than obvious that skill, and not a bracelet, is responsible for the results on the field, stage, rink, etc. Tests can be skewed to fit some given criteria, and then there's the whole placebo effect.

Nakket

Sep 27, 2010
I do have one and he uses them too so.

Then get a new one. I am the biggest believer in science that you could meet, but there's simply no merit in anything. It's just the belief that it does something that gives this special power. Go back and watch Space Jam again where Michael Jordan is giving the halftime speech and giving his team the "magic water" that will help them win. Your bracelet is that magic water.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Clearly a scam, the only people who fall for this kind of BS are idiots and incredibly superstitious athletes (basically the same thing, really).

Swamp Ape

Jan 6, 2011
Duluth MN
I got one of these from one of the local sports stores to try out this last summer. My job is to ride a bicycle for 10-12 hours a day through some treacherous urban areas (streets, sidewalks, stairs) The idea was that it could help my balance and possibly help to stabilize blood sugar levels (type 1 diabetic). My experience was that it seemed to help a little at first, and then I was pretty much the same as I had always been. I think that it was all in my head and the bracelet made me more confident on my bike. I equate it to going out and playing hockey without a cup. You are going to be hesitant and one step behind. When you get the cup it will give you the confidence to put yourself out there. By making you more confident and by pushing your limits you will get better. But it isn't the bracelet, it is you. The bracelet just helps you put your mind towards it.
That is my $.02 from someone who has tried it.

FiveHole23

Dec 13, 2007
I bought one off ebay(new) to make fun of a coworker who swears by them. That was 4 months ago and I am still wearing it. I am not sure why I know it does nothing.

There are stores on ebay that sell them for $3 shipped. I will vouch they are the real thing and not some knock off. I am not sure how they get them at that price.

It seems like every pro athlete is wearing them. When Holmstrom broke is wrist the other night I noticed he was wearing one. Like every player on the osu football team wears one. I have seen a few jackets players wearing them. It definetly like a fad right now not sure why because they do not work. The idea that a hologram can make you stronger and better balanced is crazy.

nullterm

Dec 8, 2007
Port Moody, BC
Placebo, power of suggestion, etc. If you believe it will make a difference, it will, but there's really nothing that will actually make a difference.

This. Same thing with superstitions like always putting on the left piece of gear first, eating a specific meal at the same place and time, or wearing the same lucky jock you've had for 20 years.

If YOU believe in it, it may make a difference for you. If it boosts your confidence (even irrationally on your own part) then you tend to perform better.

LarryO

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
www.youtube.com
This. Same thing with superstitions like always putting on the left piece of gear first, eating a specific meal at the same place and time, or wearing the same lucky jock you've had for 20 years.

If YOU believe in it, it may make a difference for you. If it boosts your confidence (even irrationally on your own part) then you tend to perform better.

Haha, I'm guilty of that. I don't know why I do it, but I have to. I think I might be a bit OCD.

hsing

Jan 10, 2008
If you want to know the real effectiveness of these products, I would strongly recommend you meet a physical therapist, physical trainer or in fact any professional whose job is to know how to get better in sport and how to train. Relying on pro athletes is hardly a reliable way to evaluate how good a product is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad