Pouliot's Future?

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
we finally bought a vet through FA that brings waht we thought he would, great forecheck, great complimentry player to our top end skill and takes offensive zone penalties...a lot. exactly what ranger fans said he would do.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
He has played very well for the most part this year. One of the very few moves that so far looks good on MacT but the term is still a big concern, he has worn out his welcome in most places he has played.

So far however he has fit in well and if not for his injuries his year would look really good.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
The only way Pouliot could have been a better fit is if he was paid less, but even then i'd say based on his play this season he's fairly paid. Chris Stewart isn't very consistent and only really brings goalscoring, and that's when he's on. I'm not against bringing a guy like Stewart in but he's more like Teddy Purcell than Pouliot.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
we finally bought a vet through FA that brings waht we thought he would, great forecheck, great complimentry player to our top end skill and takes offensive zone penalties...a lot. exactly what ranger fans said he would do.

Some Oiler fans felt this way too when he was signed. :D

He has brought pretty much what I thought he would bring,...which is pretty much everything you outlined. This team needed a player like Pouliot.
One of the few solid signings (Fayne as well) that MacT procured this season.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Like the player, contract is a bit much, but if he plays this well with RNH and Eberle who cares.

Very good fit for the top 6, and seems to be growing as a player

Approved Variety

Nov 14, 2010
I see no reason to change anything until a prospect literally kicks him off the top line. That'll be a few years, if at all.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
I like Poo.. he has more skill than I thought he had when we first signed him. Lots of pple said he would be taking alot of foolish and unnecessary penalties, but so far I haven't seen too much of that.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
He's on a 26-20-46 pace, and has been a great fit on the top line. He's the first forward we've brought it, as a free agent, that's been good offensively, in ages. He uses his size well, and has the speed to keep up with Nuge and Ebs. I couldn't be happier with him.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I see no reason to change anything until a prospect literally kicks him off the top line. That'll be a few years, if at all.

It's pretty rare for a line to keep chemistry game to game, let alone year to year. I'd pencil them in next year as a unit too but i'd hold off on the ink. The nice thing is Nuge-Eberle do have established chemistry together so it should be easier for the unit to click as a whole.

Part of the reason i'd like Pouliot on the 1st line too is because IMO Hall's kinda like Hemsky was, in that he's so dominate of a skater that the play revolves around him, i don't think those players are always ideally used with other top players. Hall can certainly play with good players and do well but i like the idea of pairing him up with decent linemates and having them cater to his play, as opposed to trying to get Hall to slow down and use his linemates more. If Hall could have a half-assed decent center (Hopefully Lander keeps it up) and a Pascal Dupuis like winger i think he could drive a line on his own. Of course if we ended up with McDavid you could just pair them up and probably have the fastest line in the NHL.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
He's had a good season. I like what he brings to the top line.

One of the better moves MacT has made.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
I'm not sure why we would replace Pouliot with Stewart, this is a team that should be looking at adding players of that type, not replacing them. Pouliot is overpaid for what he brings, but we probably shouldn't complain too much when one of the random darts the organization throws actually hits in the general vicinity of the dartboard.

It's kind of sad though. He's a reasonably effective NHL player even if he's prone to too many invisible stretches, but the kind of love he gets around Edmonton shows just how starved the fans in Edmonton are for players that other fanbases around the league take for granted.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
He's on a 26-20-46 pace, and has been a great fit on the top line. He's the first forward we've brought it, as a free agent, that's been good offensively, in ages. He uses his size well, and has the speed to keep up with Nuge and Ebs. I couldn't be happier with him.

Why would we pace results for a player that has missed 25 games, has never been anywhere close to 26 goals in his entire career, and that won't hit 20 this year?

That's highly misleading with respect to the player.

The reality is we have 28pts from a player we are paying 4.5M longterm for who has missed a lot of games and who has missed two games for reasons of "flu".

My sense is this was somewhat of a career year for Pouliot and yet being better than Purcell is not a ringing endorsement.

People can note as well that the NY Rangers are not even noticeably missing him from their lineup.

I like Pouliot when he brings it but what I find is a player that looks like he could be a star for the handful of games he decides to bring that and looks ordinary at other times.

An immensely skilled player that has rarely applied them.

For all the *****ing that a 21yr old Yak gets its astounding that a player who has floated through his entire career is considered just a great player to have. We must be using different yardsticks.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I'm not sure why we would replace Pouliot with Stewart, this is a team that should be looking at adding players of that type, not replacing them. Pouliot is overpaid for what he brings, but we probably shouldn't complain too much when one of the random darts the organization throws actually hits in the general vicinity of the dartboard.

It's kind of sad though. He's a reasonably effective NHL player even if he's prone to too many invisible stretches, but the kind of love he gets around Edmonton shows just how starved the fans in Edmonton are for players that other fanbases around the league take for granted.

Bingo. We also take our own players for granted in always thinking grass is greener with other incoming players.

Pouliot, almost his entire career, has been prone to individual stretches. People seem to not realize this player is 28 and has been considered bust multiple times. His only play of note in his career occurred for stretches last season.

I'll take him, but he's of course overpaid and the probability that he delivers value on contract is next to nil

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
A bit overpaid, but I like his role and what he brings. The Oilers would be worse without him. Keep him for sure.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Just remember macT's last great move, he is now playing in Pittsburgh after falling out of favor over a period of 20 games.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
it feels good to have a pouliot that doesnt blow if we are being honest here

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Not to worry too much. No GM in the league would take this contract. Would require the Oilers paying part of contract. Why would we do that again?

I don't agree. I think there are a number of teams that would take him at his current contract, and not even as a cap dump.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad