Pouliot, Kapanen lead Pittsburgh Penguins 2014 Fall Top 20

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
derrick_pouliot_portland_042514.jpg
Photo: Defenseman Derrick Pouliot remains the player in the Pittsburgh Penguins prospect pool. Pouliot was selected eighth overall in the 2012 NHL Draft. (courtesy of Marissa Baecker/Getty Images)

The Pittsburgh Penguins began a new era in the 2014 offseason. They have a new general manager in Jim Rutherford, a new head coach in Mike Johnston, and a deeper group of forwards – at the NHL level and throughout the system – than the organization has seen in quite a while.

With or without new management, the Penguins professional forward depth was going to improve, as five forwards are entering their first full season of professional hockey – six including Conor Sheary who is on an AHL contract.… read more

The post Pouliot, Kapanen lead Pittsburgh Penguins 2014 Fall Top 20 appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

iFishyHD

Dec 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
The order was pretty good. The only one I might have changed is putting Archibald higher then Sundqvist, and maybe Guentzel. Although it's hard to gauge things when they are all 3-7 round picks around there. Good write-up though.-

Ian Altenbaugh

May 24, 2008
Pittsburgh
The order was pretty good. The only one I might have changed is putting Archibald higher then Sundqvist, and maybe Guentzel. Although it's hard to gauge things when they are all 3-7 round picks around there. Good write-up though.-

Sorry for any delay in response.

Had trouble with that section. I gave Sundqvist the nod ahead because of his size and Guentzel because of his skill level, which is higher than Archibald, although skill level does not always directly translate into NHL abilities. Archibald is the most experienced, so you could really make a case for any of those guys.

A few asides:

Guentzel and Blueger looked substantially bigger than last year. I think Blueger will fill out to be a pretty stoutly built forward. Guentzel has a chance, but we'll see. Either way, both looked bigger.

I don't see Kapanen being picked if Shero was still GM. He was very much a Rutherford pick, speedy, smaller, skilled, and relatively polished for his age. Question is will he be more Zack Boychuk or Jeff Skinner.

Dumoulin will not be waiver-eligible and will probably be subject to a lot of shuttling between the AHL and NHL.

Jim Rutherford was going to roll with the prospects on D before he was able to sign Ehrhoff. He still will, but not to the same degree.

The media was persistent in asking prospects about the difference between the current prospect camp and the previous ones, particularly regarding the coaching and the drills they were asked to do. While most of the defensive prospects said it was "still too early to tell" a lot also said that the coaching under Bylsma as very "detailed", "complex", or "in depth".

Guys like Harrington and Pouliot also seemed really happy that the new coach seems to like his D carrying the puck up ice and through the neutral zone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad