Potvin Says Panthers Will Finish 4th

panthersfan94

#CatsAreComing
Jan 23, 2014
Nashville, TN
What made me furious in that segment was Potvin basically writing off the importance of a having a good powerplay. Games are called so tight during the regular season. When you get on the powerplay, you must score! Plain and simple. But before that Moller asked Gallant a great question about specific changes in the approach to the powerplay. Gallant just said that he wants to guys in front and get pucks on net. He even mentioned how moving the puck around isn't a great approach. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? This guy is going to drive us all insane. Let's break this down. Today, most penalty kills in the league are designed to stop teams who throw random pucks on net with traffic. Think about it, you have guys laying down to block every square inch of the ice. Guys are coached to outwork and outwill the team on the powerplay. You must implement different ways to score on the powerplay other than just get it on net with traffic. Let the players design their own plays to find out what works and doesn't work. The onetimer play is used on teams like TB and WSH. All these two teams do on the powerplay is play keep away with the puck until someone see's Ovechkin or Stamkos with a clear shoting lane. Once that's open, then the puck is going to touch the shooter's stick and then the back of net. Those are just plays designed by TB and WSH in practice. Different versions of the same result to throw the opposition off once and a while. Gallant better start thinking out of the box, because Jimmy Hayes or Tomas Kopecky screening the goalie and a shot from the point isn't going to be an efficient way to score. Even if they do cash in once and a while, that play is way too easily read and defended.

Relax, we haven't even played one game in the regular season yet and you already sound like you hate the guy. Give him a chance before you throw him under the bus. Also while a good PP is nice to have it's not necessary to play well. Obviously we can't be dead last again, but LA and Anaheim both had bottom 10 PPs and did just fine

Benched

Jan 2, 2007
What made me furious in that segment was Potvin basically writing off the importance of a having a good powerplay. Games are called so tight during the regular season. When you get on the powerplay, you must score! Plain and simple. But before that Moller asked Gallant a great question about specific changes in the approach to the powerplay. Gallant just said that he wants to guys in front and get pucks on net. He even mentioned how moving the puck around isn't a great approach. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? This guy is going to drive us all insane. Let's break this down. Today, most penalty kills in the league are designed to stop teams who throw random pucks on net with traffic. Think about it, you have guys laying down to block every square inch of the ice. Guys are coached to outwork and outwill the team on the powerplay. You must implement different ways to score on the powerplay other than just get it on net with traffic. Let the players design their own plays to find out what works and doesn't work. The onetimer play is used on teams like TB and WSH. All these two teams do on the powerplay is play keep away with the puck until someone see's Ovechkin or Stamkos with a clear shoting lane. Once that's open, then the puck is going to touch the shooter's stick and then the back of net. Those are just plays designed by TB and WSH in practice. Different versions of the same result to throw the opposition off once and a while. Gallant better start thinking out of the box, because Jimmy Hayes or Tomas Kopecky screening the goalie and a shot from the point isn't going to be an efficient way to score. Even if they do cash in once and a while, that play is way too easily read and defended. Get the powerplay going and get it going now or we're gonna drop to the basement right out of the gate.
I agree which is why I liked the approach we have been taking in preseason so far. We have actually been setting up a triangle and waiting for a good lane. The trick is not waiting too long.

echlfreak

Aug 1, 2003
Ok lets take a look at this again without the beer goggles on. Potvin says 4th...likely meaning the division. Sure as hell not the league. FLA without a win in pre-season remember. Yes, it doesn't mean anything but it kind of does.

Boston sure fire favorite to lead the div
TB, DET, MTL are the next four teams for sure
That leaves FLA at best 5th...
But, OTT and TOR each finished with nearly 10 more wins than FLA. They both added very little but are still better than FLA
BUF adds Mouslon, Gionta, Mezaros, Gorges, Stewart
Leaves FLA claiming McDavid...could be worse! Actually might be the best thing for them!

Benched

Jan 2, 2007
Ok lets take a look at this again without the beer goggles on. Potvin says 4th...likely meaning the division. Sure as hell not the league. FLA without a win in pre-season remember. Yes, it doesn't mean anything but it kind of does.

Boston sure fire favorite to lead the div
TB, DET, MTL are the next four teams for sure
That leaves FLA at best 5th...
But, OTT and TOR each finished with nearly 10 more wins than FLA. They both added very little but are still better than FLA
BUF adds Mouslon, Gionta, Mezaros, Gorges, Stewart
Leaves FLA claiming McDavid...could be worse! Actually might be the best thing for them!

1310408441466.jpg

It means nothing.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
FLA without a win in pre-season remember. Yes, it doesn't mean anything but it kind of does.

It means nothing. The team could be awful, but preseason is no indication of anything, the Panthers preseason records the last 2 seasons alone prove this.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Really? means nothing...sure records don't mean a thing. But, have you watched the team on the ice? They are playing shinny while every other team is playing with an NHL system.

2011 Panthers went 1-5 preseason playing poorly in every game and lost their last game like 9-1

jrockett1096

Aug 2, 2005
Miami
www.miamiestatebuyers.com
Preseason means nothing except getting the chemistry going and not having any injuries. I am disappointed the only real chemistry seen has been the Howden-Shore-Grimaldi and there is a good chance all 3 are in the minors. Nevertheless I am happy there have been no injuries. As for where we end up, I still feel like we are going to struggle scoring goals because there was no high end talent that was added to our better young players (Barkov, Bjugstad) and i dont trust this cast that was assembled to score good enough to be a playoff team. Luongo will keep us in most games and steal a few that we have no business winning. Luongo is the wildcard with how good we can be. The defense will be suspect early but if no injuries hit us and will better as the season goes on.

I see Boston, NY, Montreal, Pens TB, as locks. Detroit hasn't missed the playoffs in over 20 years, CBJ are better, Flyers are better, Washington is better and will be better coached this year and Toronto, Sens, Devils and the Jets are in the same boat of mediocrity as we are. I see us us in that group with Toronto, Jets and Sens battling for the last WC spot held by a Washington, Flyers, Columbus or Detroit and missing out on the playoffs. Any injuries to Barkov and Bjugstad for an extended period and I can see us in free fall and tanking for Mcdavid.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Preseason means nothing except getting the chemistry going and not having any injuries. I am disappointed the only real chemistry seen has been the Howden-Shore-Grimaldi and there is a good chance all 3 are in the minors. Nevertheless I am happy there have been no injuries. As for where we end up, I still feel like we are going to struggle scoring goals because there was no high end talent that was added to our better young players (Barkov, Bjugstad) and i dont trust this cast that was assembled to score good enough to be a playoff team. Luongo will keep us in most games and steal a few that we have no business winning. Luongo is the wildcard with how good we can be. The defense will be suspect early but if no injuries hit us and will better as the season goes on.

I see Boston, NY, Montreal, Pens TB, as locks. Detroit hasn't missed the playoffs in over 20 years, CBJ are better, Flyers are better, Washington is better and will be better coached this year and Toronto, Sens, Devils and the Jets are in the same boat of mediocrity as we are. I see us us in that group with Toronto, Jets and Sens battling for the last WC spot held by a Washington, Flyers, Columbus or Detroit and missing out on the playoffs. Any injuries to Barkov and Bjugstad for an extended period and I can see us in free fall and tanking for Mcdavid.

Columbus has no Johansen, Horton, and Jenner.

No one is outanking Buffalo and Carolina.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Relax, we haven't even played one game in the regular season yet and you already sound like you hate the guy. Give him a chance before you throw him under the bus. Also while a good PP is nice to have it's not necessary to play well. Obviously we can't be dead last again, but LA and Anaheim both had bottom 10 PPs and did just fine

We also had the 6th best PP in the shortened season and look how that turned out!

Still, a better PP would be nice.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
I'm calling it now, the Panthers will just miss the playoffs and end up winning the draft lottery with their 1-3% chance. The relocation trolls will morph into conspiracy theorists + relocation trolls and the Panthers will become the most hated NHL team in Quebec, Seattle, and Vegas. McDavid will deliver a Stanley Cup in 2016, attendance will explode and the team will join the ranks of the NHL elite.

Bure1096

Mar 6, 2007
Florida
I'm calling it now, the Panthers will just miss the playoffs and end up winning the draft lottery with their 1-3% chance. The relocation trolls will morph into conspiracy theorists + relocation trolls and the Panthers will become the most hated NHL team in Quebec, Seattle, and Vegas. McDavid will deliver a Stanley Cup in 2016, attendance will explode and the team will join the ranks of the NHL elite.

Ill-have-what-shes-having.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad