Speculation: Potienial Malkin Destinations

RSPens

May 25, 2015
Don't really want to get into a heated discussion, but I think people should go and listen to what Ray Ferraro has to say about the situation. He was asked about which teams window is still open (Pitt, Caps, Boston). His response was Pitt. He thinks the Pens should focus on Rust and Letang. He says that Geno is not going to be coming back for $4M and that is likely all the Pens could offer. But the interesting part of what he says is about the Fenway group. He talks about being a Red Sox fan and that when Mookie Betts was a free agent, even though he was loved in Boston and was a great player, they let him walk. Fenway has no attachment to Geno, they have no reason to care about his Pittsburgh legacy. So unless Mario still has all the sway, I have a hard time believing Malkin will be back. I would love nothing more than to have beast mode Geno finish his career in Pittsburgh. The problem is does beast mode Geno even exist anymore?

The biggest issue I have with signing Geno and/or Rust is their health. Sure Geno only missed 4 games in 2017/18 but besides that he hasn't been close to an 82 game season since 2009. In 2018/19 the Pens got 72 games from Rust, by far the most of his career. The problem with these guys is do you really want to pay a winger $7M a season when he only plays 60 games tops? Over an 82 game season that would be a $9.6M contract.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
This thread fights are hilarious.

Even if Malkin stays they need to find a young strong 2c / 3c and roll three lines strong.
Malkin isn't going to be getting faster and stronger.

Still need a young fresh at least 2ish c.
If Malkin leaves, they need two.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
Don't really want to get into a heated discussion, but I think people should go and listen to what Ray Ferraro has to say about the situation. He was asked about which teams window is still open (Pitt, Caps, Boston). His response was Pitt. He thinks the Pens should focus on Rust and Letang. He says that Geno is not going to be coming back for $4M and that is likely all the Pens could offer. But the interesting part of what he says is about the Fenway group. He talks about being a Red Sox fan and that when Mookie Betts was a free agent, even though he was loved in Boston and was a great player, they let him walk. Fenway has no attachment to Geno, they have no reason to care about his Pittsburgh legacy. So unless Mario still has all the sway, I have a hard time believing Malkin will be back. I would love nothing more than to have beast mode Geno finish his career in Pittsburgh. The problem is does beast mode Geno even exist anymore?

The biggest issue I have with signing Geno and/or Rust is their health. Sure Geno only missed 4 games in 2017/18 but besides that he hasn't been close to an 82 game season since 2009. In 2018/19 the Pens got 72 games from Rust, by far the most of his career. The problem with these guys is do you really want to pay a winger $7M a season when he only plays 60 games tops? Over an 82 game season that would be a $9.6M contract.
We will see. To me, Rust’s presser thing was the most “pessimistic”.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

Ray Ferraro's a donk. :laugh:

Geno's line kept NYR without a shot in game 7. What is that then?

We will see. To me, Rust’s presser thing was the most “pessimistic”.

Oh Rust is gone, he never was going to stick around here.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Fwiw......probably not much....media talking heads.

Just heard a few stations speculating on the Malkin matter. Both felt he won't be back in Pittsburgh. One was Brian Lawton from nhln. The other, someone on 93.7 the fan, who said, "I don't believe Hextall and Burke want him back. But Sid definitely does, so that will be interesting to see how it plays out."
Well, then, I hope Hextall and Burke are ready for new jobs because Sid will win that one.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Ray Ferraro's a donk. :laugh:

Geno's line kept NYR without a shot in game 7. What is that then?

Oh Rust is gone, he never was going to stick around here.
Looking at the JMFJ buyout money you figure that 2mil could have gone to rust. Not sure that've done it, but still. EXGMJR was off his rocker with that signing.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Rust is 100% gonna get like 7 years, 7 million AAV or more to play for an up-and-coming team like Detroit. I like Rust and he's been one of their best players for a few years now, but considering where the Pens are, there is no reason for Hextall to try and compete with that. They should just re-sign Rakell to something in the 5 year, 5 mil range.

As for Geno...it's really hard to picture him anywhere else. Maybe Boston if Bergeron retires and they wanna squeeze another year or two of playoff contention out of their current group?

Reactions: Trade

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
It all comes down to the Malkin considers is a 'reasonable' pay cut.

He's under no obligation to take an under market rate to stay here just like the Pens have no obligation to pay above what they have determined they can budget for him. Sometimes things don't work out. It sucks, but it's life.

If it was just performance based, I don't think there would be much of an issue. It's complicated because of the injuries. It's hard to commit a huge chunk of cap to a guy that you cannot realistically count on being fully healthy/available compared to other options over the next 3-4 years.

Reactions: Ugene Magic

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

He's under no obligation to take an under market rate to stay here just like the Pens have no obligation to pay above what they have determined they can budget for him. Sometimes things don't work out. It sucks, but it's life.

If it was just performance based, I don't think there would be much of an issue. It's complicated because of the injuries. It's hard to commit a huge chunk of cap to a guy that you cannot realistically count on being fully healthy/available compared to other options over the next 3-4 years.
Agree but what other options?…Jeff Carter or Blueger or Erod as 2C? We don’t have any options in house who are younger and there are no guarantees a center in FA worthy of top six billing wants to play here..

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Rust is 100% gonna get like 7 years, 7 million AAV or more to play for an up-and-coming team like Detroit. I like Rust and he's been one of their best players for a few years now, but considering where the Pens are, there is no reason for Hextall to try and compete with that. They should just re-sign Rakell to something in the 5 year, 5 mil range.

As for Geno...it's really hard to picture him anywhere else. Maybe Boston if Bergeron retires and they wanna squeeze another year or two of playoff contention out of their current group?

Why does everyone link Rust to Detroit and why would Stevie Y sign him to that kind of deal?
Det is not 1 or 2 years away. It's more like 3 to 4 years and Rust would be trending down about that time

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

Ray Ferraro is an idiot. He thinks you should sign Rust over Geno to the point where you only have 4 million left for Malkin? Rust is a product of this franchise. The team is more important to his success than the other way around.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

The rumor is that the Red Sox offered Betts $300M. He turned it down, so they traded him. That's completely different than Geno saying he'll take less money to stay.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Why does everyone link Rust to Detroit and why would Stevie Y sign him to that kind of deal?
Det is not 1 or 2 years away. It's more like 3 to 4 years and Rust would be trending down about that time

I just pulled Detroit out of my ass tbh. Any team that has a young core but lacks a proven veteran leader with killer instinct would probably covet Rust.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

I don't even think it's the money itself. It's what it represents.

$5M/year basically is acquiescing to what a lot of his detractors say about him at this stage.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I just pulled Detroit out of my ass tbh. Any team that has a young core but lacks a proven veteran leader with killer instinct would probably covet Rust.

Wasn't intended to knock on you. But you aren't the 1st person to say Detroit & Rust and it leaves me very much confused.

Like I think NYR could use a guy like him to add their depth scoring

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad