Potential Spacegoats

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Alright, title is self-explanatory. Looking ahead to this season, who are our potential spacegoats?

Abdelkader is always a good choice. Helm, you better best believe he's a spacegoat. Glendening? Ehhh, to a lesser extent. Ericsson, he's a classic spacegoat. Howie, for sure.

Is there a bigger spacegoat than Jeff Blashill though?

Let's hear it, gang.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
fb_event_763821880354179.jpg-resize-_opacity_100-frame_bg_color_FFF-gravity_center-q_70-preserve_ratio_true-w_2048_.webp

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Zadina.

Spacegoat means they’ll be the greatest of all time in space, right? He will be so good he will be universally known

E: for reals though, all that are listed. Bernier joins Howard because the goatlender is always a spacegoat. I think RAM manages to avoid his spacegoatiness this year, but being a top ten pick opens him up to it

Reactions: waltdetroit

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Holland at the start of his career.

Mr. I - You know what, I'm gonna give you a promotion. Welcome aboard, Mr. Manager.
Kenny - I'm Mr. General Manager
Mr. I- Well, we just say General Manager. And you can hire a new scouting staff if you need one.
Kenny - Do you think I need one?
Mr. I- Don't look at me, Mr. General Manager
Kenny - Right, it's up to me now, I'm Mr. General Manager!

Holland at the end of his career.

Chris Illitch - Kenny?
Kenny - Chris?
Chris - What are you doing?
Kenny - I, uh, was just burning down the roster.
Chris - What?
Kenny - I'm sorry Chris, I screwed it all up. I have no right to call myself Mr. General Manager.
Chris - General Manager
Kenny - General Manager, oh, I'm sorry Chris.
Chris - Oh, Kenny.
Kenny - I'm sorry, but listen, I’ll make it up to you. I mean, I’ll sign Mike Green and Thomas Vanek. I'll talk Henrik into coming back. Just tell me what to do and I'll do it.
Chris - Burn it down.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Ericsson.

People bash him out of habit it seems. He's actually been good the last few seasons.

(Admittedly to look good on the Wings blueline means "don't be a dumpster fire.")

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
If this team will play just like last year I can see Jeff Blashill going to get fired . They didn't try hard under him and sometimes he doesn't know how to bring the best from the players

Obe2kenobe

Mar 23, 2014
U.P.
I'm thinking Dekyser will be one of the bigger space goats this year.
With all the young defenseman showing promise and not enough room for everyone. Dekyser will probably take the brunt of blame.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
You have to have expectations for something to have a spacegoat. So in that regard vanek will be my spacegoat for costing us a draft position with a couple shootout winners.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Sleeper pick is Rasmussen, albeit it will probably be unfair. He's the type of guy who produces but is frustrating to watch 5v5. Know his game kinda relies on him doing a few things, but whenever I see him outside of net front, backchecking, or in the corners, I'm unimpressed. Granted, I'm fairly new to watching hockey and never played growing up, so I'm probably missing some stuff.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Sleeper pick is Rasmussen, albeit it will probably be unfair. He's the type of guy who produces but is frustrating to watch 5v5. Know his game kinda relies on him doing a few things, but whenever I see him outside of net front, backchecking, or in the corners, I'm unimpressed. Granted, I'm fairly new to watching hockey and never played growing up, so I'm probably missing some stuff.

No, your points are very valid. A lot of people, including myself, absolutely hated this pick, because this dude had bad possession numbers and couldn’t produce 5v5. Defenders always point to his +1 playoffs from last spring, but that’s such a small sample size, that it’s hard to really say. Rasmussen was clearly taken for his size which is literally always a bad idea, particularly in the first round, and we are seeing more and more issues with that mentality with guys like Dal Colle, Crouse, Morin, Gudbranson, Virtanen, and that was just off the top of my head. This is a skill driven sport in the 2010’s, and while I don’t think he’s unskilled, I’m not sure how his game will translate to the NHL.

This all said, since he’s finally here and likely to make the team, it’s blank slate time for me, I want to give him a few years and really give him the benefit of the doubt and let him prove me wrong, because him proving me wrong will be best for this hockey team. I can’t change the fact that we drafted him, so I’d rather support what we have than live in the past.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
You have to have expectations for something to have a spacegoat. So in that regard vanek will be my spacegoat for costing us a draft position with a couple shootout winners.

My thoughts exactly regarding expectations. The team is expected to be one of the worst so it's hard to have anyone elevate to spacegoat status. Their will be plenty of whipping boys, though. I could see Mantha in the dog house in a hurry if he even slightly regresses.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
No, your points are very valid. A lot of people, including myself, absolutely hated this pick, because this dude had bad possession numbers and couldn’t produce 5v5. Defenders always point to his +1 playoffs from last spring, but that’s such a small sample size, that it’s hard to really say. Rasmussen was clearly taken for his size which is literally always a bad idea, particularly in the first round, and we are seeing more and more issues with that mentality with guys like Dal Colle, Crouse, Morin, Gudbranson, Virtanen, and that was just off the top of my head. This is a skill driven sport in the 2010’s, and while I don’t think he’s unskilled, I’m not sure how his game will translate to the NHL.

This all said, since he’s finally here and likely to make the team, it’s blank slate time for me, I want to give him a few years and really give him the benefit of the doubt and let him prove me wrong, because him proving me wrong will be best for this hockey team. I can’t change the fact that we drafted him, so I’d rather support what we have than live in the past.
Agreed, When I see Rasmussen, I see a guy who always looks underwhelming, but then you look and see he finished the season with 25 goals due to being a beast on the powerplay. I know this is kind of cliche as well as underplaying Rasmussen's athleticism, but I see him as 2006-2010 Holmstrom esque. He'll score goals but I wouldn't want him leading a breakout or anywhere besides behind or within 5 feet of the net in the offensive zone.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
AA for me. Put up or shut up time. Although, I have a feeling Zadina is going to get a lot of hate only because of the hype around him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad