Speculation: Potential off-season rule changes?

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
So there's a reasonably decent chance the Art Ross winner fails to reach 90 points for the first time since the late 60's.

What do we think the offseason rule changes will be as a response? Smaller goalie pads? Bigger nets? Smaller neutral zone? No more trapezoid?

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I'd rather not see smaller pads or bigger nets, personally. Feels too artificial.

Decreasing the size of the neutral zone would probably shift the player dynamic even more to big cycling/screening players, and I'm not sure how I feel about that. I could probably get behind it.

Not sure how eliminating the trapezoid increases offense but I'm sure it's been explained somewhere.

I'm not really sure but I guess the smaller neutral zone is my top choice of the ones given in the OP.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I would start with smaller goalie pads. Let the goalie play the ******* puck anywhere he wants. Make the crease a little smaller.

Whoever decided that what we are seeing cough Mario was for the best, I do not want them involved in any way at how the game should be re-shaped going forward.

This tossing us "an entertainment nugget" via the shootout because the game lacked get up out of your seat offense, is getting old.

Gift points need to end. There should be more emotion in the game. Less robots.

I would also get rid of the 2nd official that is in the way EVERY FREAKING GAME, and simply empower the 2 linesman more.

If it weren't for Ovi and our boys playing every game like a playoff game, I was close to not watching. I never watched less hockey than last year, in 30+ years.

Something needs to be done. NHL hockey is still very much the hardworking Canadian boys network. It is not an all star game no matter how much they try to make it one. One hardworking guy pots a few more goals than expected, and he is a dog star. That's how bad it is.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
1975-2012.jpg

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
What I'd like to see happen:

Removal of trapezoid: neutralizes the dump and chase a bit (particularly the cross-corner dump), forcing teams away from building around the forecheck and cycle (a la Los Angeles) and placing more importance on controlled zone entry.

Reduction of neutral zone: makes the trap less effective, opens bigger passing lanes in offensive zone.

Re-emphasis on calling obstruction penalties: particularly interference. It doesn't seem like checking a guy after he's chipped the puck past you is a penalty anymore.

I don't think changing the nets/goalie pads does much, because pad size is difficult to enforce, and the pads will just grow with the goals. I don't see goaltenders as the biggest problem anyway. It's the tactics. Clogging the passing/shooting lanes tightens the game up more than anything else.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
simpleness.

1. no more hand pass in the d zone. treat it like an icing with no player change for the offending team.

2. no icing on the penalty kill. 2nd icing that is not judged to be a missed pass is a delay of game penalty.

just take away the small advantages the defense is allowed.

edit: I don't think forcing teams into trying to carry the puck in by empowering the goalie will have the effect you are looking for.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Based on a few threads on the main (and numbers) board, it appears PP frequency is the lowest it has been since at least the 80's.

So there's your #1 problem right there, the officiating standard.

Foy

Jun 6, 2006
simpleness.

1. no more hand pass in the d zone. treat it like an icing with no player change for the offending team.

2. no icing on the penalty kill. 2nd icing that is not judged to be a missed pass is a delay of game penalty.

just take away the small advantages the defense is allowed.

I don't want more penalties on the rulebooks, I want less. I wish they'd call the ones they have and open the game back up.

Actual changes to the rulebook? Get rid of 2 minute delay of game penalty, but if the puck goes up and out off a d-man, team can't change, like icing. Even if it deflects off the glass. Goes into the bench? Can't change. Hand pass? Can't change. Played with a high stick? Can't change. Intentional offside? Can't change.

I'd still keep the penalty for Delay of Game off of blatantly intentional ones.

So when can you change after a whistle? When the other team messed up, and when it was something simple like a frozen puck or a regular offside.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Have the refs actually call penalties.

Bingo. I don't think I've seen an interference major called in five years.

Just call interference. It's not about getting the PPs to go up -although they will. In time, players will adapt. We all saw it in 2005-2007 as scoring went up and entire class of player disappeared from the league (immobile, physical dmen).

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I don't want more penalties on the rulebooks, I want less. I wish they'd call the ones they have and open the game back up.

Actual changes to the rulebook? Get rid of 2 minute delay of game penalty, but if the puck goes up and out off a d-man, team can't change, like icing. Even if it deflects off the glass. Goes into the bench? Can't change. Hand pass? Can't change. Played with a high stick? Can't change. Intentional offside? Can't change.

I'd still keep the penalty for Delay of Game off of blatantly intentional ones.

So when can you change after a whistle? When the other team messed up, and when it was something simple like a frozen puck or a regular offside.

They would never do this. It would kill TV timeouts.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Taking away the trapezoid rewards trapping teams.
Making a larger offensive zone rewards trapping teams.
Making a larger offensive zone rewards collapsing defensive zone teams.

I would want to reward more man to man defense in the zone and neutralize the trap in the neutral zone, not the other way around.

Call the penalties the way they are supposed to be called. Yes PPs will go up in the short term, and players will be forced to stop obstructing in the long run. This will force them to play more man.

Goalie Pads smaller or the nets even a few inches larger would increase scoring as well, but completely change the game for goalies.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
I think it should begin with the point system, teams are playing boring hockey until late in the year. 2 for a win in regulation, 1 for a OT win, 0 for a loss of any kind. I think you would see teams pushing for the win a little more often. Want points? win the game and quit sitting back and praying to get the loser point. Need more points? Better win it in regulation.

Also, get rid of the shootout first and foremost.

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
Abolish the shootout, remove the instigator and make goalie pads smaller.

Consider re-introducing the two-line-pass rule for player safety.

Expand by two teams so the amazingly rich pool of talent on the the 3rd/4th lines gets a bit thinned.

That's what I'd do.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think it should begin with the point system, teams are playing boring hockey until late in the year. 2 for a win in regulation, 1 for a OT win, 0 for a loss of any kind. I think you would see teams pushing for the win a little more often. Want points? win the game and quit sitting back and praying to get the loser point. Need more points? Better win it in regulation.

Also, get rid of the shootout first and foremost.

its never going to happen, but you would be ok with 20 or more games on average being tied per team per season?

why do you think teams would push for the win more in regulation? nhl coaching is about not losing first. its about defense first. in a divisional or conference game a coach knows that he loses one point rather than two if he can get to OT, that is his first choice.

make the first goal of the game worth two goals. do you think coaches are going to double down on offense or wait for the other team to make a mistake?

Last edited:

NeilYoung

May 7, 2009
The NHL would never do it but I believe making the rink like 2 or 3 feet wider would have an awesome impact.

Hell even the nets being a couple inches bigger would be awesome

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Call the penalties the way they are supposed to be called. Yes PPs will go up in the short term, and players will be forced to stop obstructing in the long run. This will force them to play more man.

Since 05-06 penalty calls have been consistently going down as has scoring. Their is a direct correlations.

Right now there is massive obstruction going on. Massive like dead-puck ear massive.

But NHL CAN'T Change this...

With the concussion lawsuits going around if NHL calls everything (obstruction) then the lawyers can point to that as fodder for their case big time.

I guarantee this is what is discussed behind closed doors by the league brass. NHL has to appear they are going to design rules to lessen concussions and this is a big one.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
When the new interference rules/emphasis came into play you couldn't really do anything to impede a player who wasn't controlling the puck. Everything was being called. You had to get out of the way and make quicker decisions about whether to go for the man or fall back to play the puck. Now guys are getting away with bumps and checks a couple of strides after the puck has been dumped or pushed ahead.

Orpik might be out of the league if he can't do this at the blueline. It's his bread and butter.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
When the new interference rules/emphasis came into play you couldn't really do anything to impede a player who wasn't controlling the puck. Everything was being called. You had to get out of the way and make quicker decisions about whether to go for the man or fall back to play the puck. Now guys are getting away with bumps and checks a couple of strides after the puck has been dumped or pushed ahead.

Orpik might be out of the league if he can't do this at the blueline. It's his bread and butter.

He will be allowed to. Their is horrendous interference going uncalled now.

PP opportunities are approaching historically low levels this year are they not?

This is NO ACCIDENT. The NHL wants scoring up but they also like their money and don't feel like getting sued for a cool billion.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Interference has crept back in. I have mixed feeling on dumb ins behind the dmen and the allowing a bump/push a stride or two after. I can understand holding the forward up a bit just to keep a check on the speed and big hits for the dman retrieving the puck. The interference that is worse is the off puck. They need to call the book for that crap.

I'd make the goalie pads smaller a bit but I'd really go with adding an inch a side to the nets.

Don't think the offensive zone or neutral zone dimension changes would do much coaches will just adjust.

A couple of expansion teams would actually increase scoring, heh.

Apr 6, 2004
Abolish the shootout, remove the instigator and make goalie pads smaller.

Consider re-introducing the two-line-pass rule for player safety.

Expand by two teams so the amazingly rich pool of talent on the the 3rd/4th lines gets a bit thinned.

That's what I'd do.

Ugh, I get player safety and support it in full .... BUT .... not seeing full-ice seam passes leading to breakaways would be disheartening.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Random thoughts

I personally find no problem with a dman coming over and giving a little bump to a forward about to concuss his partner. It's how the game was always played when I feel in love with the game. It's how I played the game.

One could argue that may allow for a clean breakout, and countless offensive rushes the other way. Discourage teams to constantly dump it in, yawn. Make them try to play NHL grade offense. It may even cut down on concussions.

Players have never skated faster than they do now, and dare I think concussions are up over 30 years ago, despite presumed technological advances in helmet design and mouth guards, and suits of armor the guys now wear, all with less hitting. That little pick slows them down.

In that era of tackling guys on a breakaway in the 3rd period as some here say would always go uncalled, scoring was somehow higher than it is now.

Interference has not killed scoring. The lack of skilled players that fit the modern reshaped game, is the cause. Its largely a game of great skaters now, only the problem is everyone is a better skater, so it all offsets. A push.

Great, they are all better skaters now, but the skill level is decreased because of over expansion, KHL etc. So these guys with a lower skill level have to do it all at a faster pace. They can't do it, so they dump it in, and never get to line rush in games. If they are not getting PP time, they are not honing their skills. Eroding over the decades, and here we are.

Lard Ass in goal decked out in his XXXXL pillows is not helping matters.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3