Speculation: Potential Cap Decrease (Benefits Wings?)

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
This is just me musing on the cap likely going down and how the Wings are in a very solid position to benefit from a decent size cap decrease. What do you think? Who or what teams would you target?

1. We have key RFA contracts with Mantha, Bert, and Fabbri up this summer. If the cap goes down this will also likely drive down contract prices some this upcoming off season. The Wings could benefit on some savings due on longer term contacts for key players, or it may push players to take another 1 year show me deal. With all 3 players having some questions on what their true potential might be, that wouldn't be terrible either. (Can Mantha stay healthy, can Bert and Fabbri keep up their production?)

2. If the cap dips low enough, they may work in some sort of compliance buyout. While the Wings don't per say need the cap space, we do have two absolutely prime candidates in Abby and Nielson. If the Wings can get out of those contracts without having to take a cap hit, that could be a huge boon in the near future.

3. There a lot of teams that are screwed if the cap goes down at all and will not be able to be compliant without making trades. With the Wings having a bunch of cap space, you could maybe see them pick up a top 4 D at a cheaper rate or get some really solid draft picks for cap dumps.

4. If the cap goes down it could also drive competition for UFAs and contract prices down. The Wings will likely still have a bunch of space, and could potentially capitalize on a buyers UFA market. I wouldn't have planned on Stevie being active here, but if he can get a good deal, why not?

What do you guys think? I think between this and the draft this shortened off season could end up being a lot crazier for the Wings than I originally anticipated before when it looked like the cap would marginally rise.

Reactions: LazyT

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad