Potential Canucks Draft Pick - Nikolaj Ehelrs (Best Coast) *Updated 6/26

hollywood99

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
Another look at another highly coveted prospect who could be a Canuck on draft day, this time we look at Nikolaj Ehlers

http://bestcoasthockey.wordpress.com/2014/06/26/potential-canucks-draft-pick-nikolaj-ehlers/

Thanks for the read!

https://bestcoasthockey.wordpress.com/2014/06/19/potential-canucks-draft-pick-leon-draisaitl/

Thanks again to all for taking a look!

The latest draft pick preview has been added to our site, next up on the list is William Nylander.

http://bestcoasthockey.wordpress.com/2014/06/11/potential-canucks-draft-pick-william-nylander/

Once again please share your thoughts and let us know what you think?

-BCH

Best Coast is back with another potential Canucks draft pick article. This time we take a look at Jake Virtanen.

Have a look and tell us what you think? Is Jake what Linden/Benning should be looking at with the 6th pick?

http://bestcoasthockey.wordpress.com/2014/06/04/potential-canucks-draft-pick-jake-virtanen/

All feedback is welcomed!

Cheers,
BCH

**Mods. Please do not merge this thread. We will be doing more prospect previews leading up to the draft and would like to use this thread for all. We'll add new posts to the OP instead of creating multiple threads. Cheers*

Last edited:

Win One Before I Die

Cautious Optimism
Jul 31, 2007
I am not sure if there is a big difference in the players 6-10

If he is fast, hits and scores... get him.

6'1/210 at 17 is a good size. I imagine he will continue to fill out maybe grow another inch?

hollywood99

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
Would not take him at 6th, at 10th for sure though.

Thinking Kesler is headed to Anaheim or just a trade down? Who do you think they should take?

I am not sure if there is a big difference in the players 6-10

If he is fast, hits and scores... get him.

6'1/210 at 17 is a good size. I imagine he will continue to fill out maybe grow another inch?

This is a good point not in the article, he's one of the youngest eligible players in the draft. So there's for sure chance for vertical growth.

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
What the Canucks need to do is draft at 6th and get Ehlers.

Trade Kesler for Silfverberg + Vatanen + 2014 OTT 1st (Virtanen)

Sign Stastny hopefully if not trade Garrison to Florida along with someone else for a young 2C.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Burrows - Statsny - Silfverberg
Higgins - Horvat - Santorelli
Matthias - Richardson - Hansen

Future:

Ehlers - Statsny - Silfverberg
Shinkaruk - Horvat - Jensen
Matthias - Santorelli - Kassian
Archibald - Richardson - Hansen

IDK tbh this team could be facing a lot of different possiblities. I mean look at Shinkaruk in the pre-season what if he comes in hot again?

Last edited:

Finnish Your Czechs

Sep 8, 2008
What the Canucks need to do is draft at 6th and get Ehlers.

Trade Kesler for Silfverberg + Vatanen + 2014 OTT 1st (Virtanen)

Sign Stastny hopefully if not trade Garrison to Florida along with someone else for a young 2C.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Burrows - Statsny - Silfverberg
Higgins - Horvat - Santorelli
Matthias - Richardson - Hansen

Future:

Ehlers - Statsny - Silfverberg
Shinkaruk - Horvat - Jensen
Matthias - Santorelli - Kassian
Archibald - Richardson - Hansen

IDK tbh this team could be facing a lot of different possiblities. I mean look at Shinkaruk in the pre-season what if he comes in hot again?
What did all of that have to do with Virtanen?

I've got other guys ahead of Virtanen, but if we take him 6th I'll give Benning and Linden the benefit of the doubt. JB's track record is enough for me to trust him this early in his tenure.

Edit: Virtanen was apparently added while I quoted you lol

a Fool

Emperor has no picks
Mar 14, 2014
JV is only a month removed from being eligible for the 2015 draft. I like him at 6th overall.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I do like him a lot, and he would be my third choice of the most likely available players. I have a group of about five that I wouldn't complain of at this spot. He has a lot to like about his game, and as was just pointed out, being so young just means a lot of time to develop.

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
What did all of that have to do with Virtanen?

I've got other guys ahead of Virtanen, but if we take him 6th I'll give Benning and Linden the benefit of the doubt. JB's track record is enough for me to trust him this early in his tenure.

Edit: Virtanen was apparently added while I quoted you lol

Yeah I edited it to draft him at 10th :naughty:

Bro Horvat

2011 Truther
Mar 20, 2013
Vancouver
did nobody else notice his celly at the 1:44 mark of that video?

He does a fly by of both benches and taps all the gloves of the opponent's bench before getting props from his own. Unreal, haha.

That being said, I like what they've said about him and I love his size for his age. Always like the idea of adding more local talent as well.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
i don't like picking 6th.

I would like to be either top 3 or move down to number 10 or 11. I don't think that there will much difference in skill between 6 and 10. We're talking Virtenan or Nylander. I think top 10 will be NHL. Maybe the Canucks can trade down and add an extra pick.

hollywood99

May 7, 2011
Vancouver

I would like to be either top 3 or move down to number 10 or 11. I don't think that there will much difference in skill between 6 and 10. We're talking Virtenan or Nylander. I think top 10 will be NHL. Maybe the Canucks can trade down and add an extra pick.

I agree about the 6 to 10 range, which raises the question why anyone else in that range would want to move up 2-3 spots and give up a extra pick? Sure a team might love one guy, but if the Canucks we're say 8th and moved up to 6th and it cost us a pick I'd be choked.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I agree about the 6 to 10 range, which raises the question why anyone else in that range would want to move up 2-3 spots and give up a extra pick? Sure a team might love one guy, but if the Canucks we're say 8th and moved up to 6th and it cost us a pick I'd be choked.

Agree with this. I don't get all this angst over picking 6th and whether it matters if there is no drop off to 9 or not. I'd rather be at 6 and get first crack at who we want most rather than hope to get our guy at 8 or 9. Just relax and enjoy the draft. All this panic about trading back, trading up, liking hometown players, liking big players, drafting for the Boston model, etc etc is so unnecessary. Most of it is the ides of summer and a lack of real Canucks' stuff to talk about that is causing some of us to make mountains out of molehills.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
So, how bad was his shoulder injury. If he's lost his shot, he just becomes a fast skating bottom 6 guy.

edit... was asking about Virtanen

Last edited:

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
So, how bad was his shoulder injury. If he's lost his shot, he just becomes a fast skating bottom 6 guy.

Why would he lose his shot? He still had it before the surgery (but after the injury) and I believe the prognosis on his surgery was 100% recovery. Suddenly he won't have a shot now?

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Why would he lose his shot? He still had it before the surgery (but after the injury) and I believe the prognosis on his surgery was 100% recovery. Suddenly he won't have a shot now?

It's his left shoulder. He's a RH shot. Won't have any effect.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver

You guys are making the assumption that every team in the league has Ehlers/Nylander/Ritchie/Virtanen rated equally-which is certainly not the case.

Every team is going to have one of these guys in the top 6 and then the rest in the middle.

Even briefly looking at the mock drafts done by analysts, some have Nylander in the top 4, some have Virtanen at 43, etc. etc.

6th is a very good spot. You can opt for a top 5 faller which is becoming more and more possible or go with the guy you really want.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
I don't even think Virtanen will be available at 10. He will go in the 6-9 range. Along with Ritchie,Nylander and Ehlers. The only prospects i could possibly pass Virtanen is maybe a Fleury or Fabbri.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00