Potential bailout for WHL

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
That's interesting. Would be amazing if it were true, but it's also strange to think that someone would be willing to personally bail out a bunch of private businesses, which is what most WHL teams are. Maybe it will take on the form of loans on very favourable terms?

Reactions: e14

e14

Feb 14, 2018
Yes I would find that odd too

Only one that would make sense would be NHL as they would see some long term benefit to not drop an important development league
What about Kamloops' Gagliardi? Didn't make the list?

Reactions: Juniorhockeyguru

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
Yes I would find that odd too

Only one that would make sense would be NHL as they would see some long term benefit to not drop an important development league
What about Kamloops' Gagliardi? Didn't make the list?

21st richest man in Canada. Worth almost 4 Billion. Either way, I don't see the CHL going under regardless.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
21st richest man in Canada. Worth almost 4 Billion. Either way, I don't see the CHL going under regardless.

The nature of junior hockey is such that even if the CHL went under due to the pandemic, it would spring right back up the minute it was safe to play in front of crowds again. But obviously I hope that doesn't happen.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
The nature of junior hockey is such that even if the CHL went under due to the pandemic, it would spring right back up the minute it was safe to play in front of crowds again. But obviously I hope that doesn't happen.

There is no way it'll ever shut down and go poof regardless of the reasons since it provides half of the player pool to the NHL. Either the NHL or some organization will keep it afloat in some shape or form even if the parent company changes.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
There is no way it'll ever shut down and go poof regardless of the reasons since it provides half of the player pool to the NHL. Either the NHL or some organization will keep it afloat in some shape or form even if the parent company changes.

Well, I'd say that it's possible that the CHL as we know it could shut down and go poof... imagine a scenario where due to virus mutations, current lockdown restrictions keep going for another three or four years with no junior hockey being played. Obviously not a happy thought, but at that point I don't think existing CHL franchises would keep paying the bills without money coming in. Chances are they'd pull the plug.

The good news in that nightmare scenario is that as soon as it ended, a new developmental league would spring up instantly because as you noted, as long as there is a NHL there is going to be a need for a developmental league. And many of the pre-existing teams would come back.

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
I know what you're saying, and that's extreme cases for your point. I just don't see that as being a reality. I can see a scenario where, they eventually bubble teams. They aren't going to let the NCAA win and have free reign.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Well, I'd say that it's possible that the CHL as we know it could shut down and go poof... imagine a scenario where due to virus mutations, current lockdown restrictions keep going for another three or four years with no junior hockey being played. Obviously not a happy thought, but at that point I don't think existing CHL franchises would keep paying the bills without money coming in. Chances are they'd pull the plug.

The good news in that nightmare scenario is that as soon as it ended, a new developmental league would spring up instantly because as you noted, as long as there is a NHL there is going to be a need for a developmental league. And many of the pre-existing teams would come back.

Again no way the CHL that provide half the NHL with their talent shuts down permanent with NOTHING taking its place. There will always be a jr major league even if the parent organization changes. There will be a bail out by other private organizations or groups before the current form of the CHL EVER permanently shuts down. It will not happen. And no way in hell the virus restrictions will last another 4 to 5 years.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Again no way the CHL that provide half the NHL with their talent shuts down permanent with NOTHING taking its place. There will always be a jr major league even if the parent organization changes. There will be a bail out by other private organizations or groups before the current form of the CHL EVER permanently shuts down. It will not happen. And no way in hell the virus restrictions will last another 4 to 5 years.

Well yeah, I think we're basically saying the same thing, i.e. there will always be a major junior system or something to fill that role. All I'm saying is that it's possible the CHL could fold if this drags on long enough (nothing is invincible), but if it does a new major junior league would be created as soon as it's possible to play again.

I see the Q is going to a resume play in a bubble format later this month... I really hope the dub has a plan ready to roll out because it would be a tragedy to lose the entire season.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Oh, something(s) will certainly replace a folded CHL.

The issue is whether the replacement remotely resembles the current structure, allowing smaller city participation, or current American cities, or, er, whatever. This could get complicated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad