Postponements and Rescheduling OHL 2021

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
With the NHL prohibiting games between Cdn & US teams, however briefly, I’m pretty sure the OHL will copy that move, even after the Christmas break. If that stays in place for any amount of time, then Flint, Saggy and Erie are a problem, and history has shown that they shut everything down.

I really hope the don't go back to American teams only playing American teams and Canadian playing Canadian for any length of time, but who knows.

The NHL at least had games last year when the OHL was shut down entirely. This is rather ominous foreshadowing of what's to come IMO. The NHL will probably reboot, but I'm not sure the OHL does, which would be unfortunate.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
The reason for the NHL to stop cross border was to ensure the players didn't get stuck away from home over the holidays. No such reason exists for doing it to the OHL after the break.

Devin

Jul 25, 2018
Adam silver NBA commish saying Christmas games to continue, and that he has a hard time understanding how pausing the season will do any good

that’s good news atleast to the hopefuls who believe there is a small chance ohl continues. I know it’s not the same calibre league, but nice to see the league who started the suspension of seasons take the lead and say “no, the virus isn’t going anywhere so play on”

was hours after the nhl and ohl cancelled their seasons in 2020. So let’s hope they ohl says play on as well

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
I think a main reason for the NHL “pause” was making it more difficult for their players to go to the Olympics.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
This is brutal. So what will the ultimate plan be? Extend the season?

Considering new quarantine rules are 5 days and then you're "super immune" for about 90 days there is quite literally no point in canceling the season now.

Maybe limit fans or eliminate altogether, but there is no reason they can't finish the season with the new quarantine recommendations.

Reactions: three dog night

Box Score Watcher

Nov 13, 2021
Considering new quarantine rules are 5 days and then you're "super immune" for about 90 days there is quite literally no point in canceling the season now.

Maybe limit fans or eliminate altogether, but there is no reason they can't finish the season with the new quarantine recommendations.
I completely agree. But by the end of this weekend, some teams will already have half a dozen games to make up. And that’s assuming no more games get postponed going forward (ya right). What other choice do they have? Make these teams play a bunch of 4 in 4’s? Reschedule All the games for weekdays?

Reactions: WillardJFredricks

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
This is brutal. So what will the ultimate plan be? Extend the season?

If this keeps up expect the OHL to start cutting games off the schedule, as OS GM "DD" had mentioned in his comments this afternoon prior to the postponement of the Attack vs. Colts game that was scheduled for this evening.

The teams are trying hard to complete the season schedule in a timely manner but realistically speaking the OHL may start to lean on having a 40 game schedule for some teams if not the whole league.

As of right now the league has played around 20-30 games thus far so adding in the fact of quarantining measures and rescheduling dates that the league may make that 40 game cap a likely possibility.

When the OHL was talking about returning the first time the league kicked around the a few numbers of games one of them being 60 and another being 40. As of right now the OHL hasn't made any mention of following through with that option but with the way things are going it could be a distinct possibility it could happen.

Devin

Jul 25, 2018
If this keeps up expect the OHL to start cutting games off the schedule, as OS GM "DD" had mentioned in his comments this afternoon prior to the postponement of the Attack vs. Colts game that was scheduled for this evening.

The teams are trying hard to complete the season schedule in a timely manner but realistically speaking the OHL may start to lean on having a 40 game schedule for some teams if not the whole league.

As of right now the league has played around 20-30 games thus far so adding in the fact of quarantining measures and rescheduling dates that the league may make that 40 game cap a likely possibility.

When the OHL was talking about returning the first time the league kicked around the a few numbers of games one of them being 60 and another being 40. As of right now the OHL hasn't made any mention of following through with that option but with the way things are going it could be a distinct possibility it could happen.

Oh I’ll tell you exactly how it will go

1. games will continue to be postponed, with the league guaranteeing rescheduled games

2. all of a sudden these guaranteed games will be canceled games as the government commences a mandatory 3 vaccinations per person consequently to be considered “fully vaccinated”

3. ohl season entirely gets cancelled and fans are once again led on and on

nice to see being double vaxed is working, hate to bring up personal experiences but especially coming from me, where I was in and out of the hospital with 41 degree fevers for a month and half straight after getting the first shot (negative test result for everything), it would be nice to see some positive results from all this by now, starting with ohl hockey.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
I know the OHL isn't the NHL, but they are in talks with the NHLPA about getting asymptomatic players on the ice quicker given the latest quarantine guidelines in order to keep the season going as normal as possible.

In other news, I think it was most or all Canadian Games were postponed because of attendance restrictions, not necessarily covid related postponement.

Reactions: Rounder8

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013

Those recommendations are from the US and have not yet been implemented in Ontario and does not appear Canada is ready to follow suit.

Last edited:

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
197 Wed, Dec 1 SBY SOO
210 Fri, Dec 3 BAR SBY
215 Sat, Dec 4 MISS PBO
211 Sat, Dec 4 SBY BAR
238 Fri, Dec 10 SOO SBY
250 Sun, Dec 12 SOO SBY
253 Wed, Dec 15 KIT OS
254 Thu, Dec 16 SBY BAR
260 Fri, Dec 17 BAR KGN
267 Fri, Dec 17 NIAG SBY
266 Fri, Dec 17 FLNT SAR
258 Fri, Dec 17 ER GUE
262 Fri, Dec 17 OS LDN
270 Sat, Dec 18 NB NIAG
268 Sat, Dec 18 KIT ER
274 Sat, Dec 18 FLNT SAG
272 Sat, Dec 18 SAR OS
275 Sun, Dec 19 KGN OSH
277 Tue, Dec 28 OTT OSH
278 Tue, Dec 28 BAR OS
282 Wed, Dec 29 LDN SAR
285 Thu, Dec 30 KGN OTT
286 Thu, Dec 30 BAR PBO
291 Fri, Dec 31 SAR LDN
292 Fri, Dec 31 PBO NIAG
288 Fri, Dec 31 HAM BAR
298 Sat, Jan 1 NB OSH
297 Sat, Jan 1 OTT KGN
300 Sat, Jan 1 NIAG PBO
304 Sun, Jan 2 KGN MISS
305 Sun, Jan 2 WSR SAR
308 Wed, Jan 5 BAR OS
322 Sat, Jan 8 NB BAR

33 games postponed so far. broken down by team:
BAR 9
SBY 7
KGN 5
OS 5
SAR 5
NIAG 4
PBO 4
LDN 3
MISS 3
NB 3
OSH 3
OTT 3
SOO 3
ER 2
FLNT 2
KIT 2
GUE 1
HAM 1
SAG 1
WSR 1

Don't be surprised to see the Attack and Rangers add another pair of games to the postponement list in short order.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad