Post your half-way mark observations/get it off your chest.

DAkings20

Kings can't score
Dec 26, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
1706842558392.gif

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Almost makes you wonder if the team is fighting internally
No wondering about it. Doughty and Kopitar both alluded to it a week or two ago in interviews. Heck, Jesse sort of hinted last year that players in the AHL weren't happy and thought they should be in the NHL.

Whole organization is a mess and shows no signs of getting better any time soon.

LeftKinger

Oct 20, 2022
I will take that bet for all you are worth, this board is bi-polar, and wouldn't know the first thing to do on how to build a better, all this BS of we would have signed UFA Player A who signed in Nashville for half the money, never takes into consideration that a player has to say yes, people on this board would make that offer, then stomp their feet when the player says no....and have no idea but to rinse and repeat.... you repeat half the BS like it has merit, this board is just a f***ing parrot talking to itself
The only parrot here is you since half the board has you blocked.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Ok so more detail on my thoughts.

Kopitar - has played well when he doesn’t look tired. Too many minutes.

Kempe - Not as good as last year but better than the year before. He’s struggling to find the net a little but goaltenders appear to be cheating a little looking for him to be the shooter.
Byfield - By the end of the season he will be our best player. Happily smug on my insistence that we would end up seeing this. He’s becoming a guy that can tilt the ice in out favour and change momentum… but needs the team to get back on the front foot.
Moore - He’s become incredibly confident in his shot and has been outstanding.
Danault - He’s gone from being a very good 2C to a 2/3C guy. Not as dependable defensively and I still think he’s the most movable big contract. If they feel Byfield is ready for C, he’s the one I move for a physical winger that’s hopefully cheaper.
Fiala - I forgive him his flaws because the effort is always there. The team is playing badly and he’s forcing it too much. So when the team is playing better we will see fewer errors.

JAD - Love his heart and attitude and had high hopes. However he’s just a solid 4th line player and we have too many of those. He’s a good 13th forward to have but shouldn’t be in the lineup regularly.

Laf - He’s done great but is starting to struggle. There’s too many giveaways happening in particular. I think there’s a case for sending him down especially if Turcotte is to play. Maybe the number of games is catching up with him.

PLD - I understood the idea of the trade even if I hated giving up Vilardi. His best work at other teams if we saw it regularly would make it a good trade although I expected some consistency issues and a slow start (as he tends to do). However I never dreamed it would be this bad, even if he’s shown a few more glimpses of what he can do recently. It’s just not good enough at this point.

Kaliyev - Disappointed in him even if his usage has been poor. He’s not getting his shot off quickly enough and his effort seems inconsistent to me. I’ve backed him throughout and the talent is there. He’s one that will benefit most from a coaching change.

Lewis - Solid and dependable.

Lizotte - Great until he got the first injury and since then is meh. I’d move him.

Grundstom - Inconsistent. Forget the scoring, he needs to be aggressive on the forecheck and the rest will follow.

Turcotte - Has earned a long look. A whole pot of coffee… not just the cup.

Fagemo - I still feel he’s a tweener. Good for injury depth but his AHL form certainly earned the call up.

Thomas - Needs a look. He’s earned it.

Anderson - Solid and dependable, with some unexpected offence. His contract is a steal.

Doughty - TOO MANY MINUTES. If he has to play that many minutes something is going very wrong elsewhere.

Gavrikov - Love the guy.

Roy - Solid but he’s a #4 guy that is overrated. He gives it away far too much to be considered a genuine shutdown guy. I’d move him, use Clarke and use the money to replace his physicality elsewhere (plus a goaltender).

Englund - I’m no fan of fighting but his lack of fights recently shows he’s not engaged physically like he was earlier in the season. The whole point of him is to be physical and I think it’s contributed to his overall game declining.

Spence - Has done great but limited in running pp2. He needs to be a bit more dynamic if he’s in that role.

Clarke - judging him harshly is unfair because he was called up when the wheels were coming off. I think it was a call up made in the hope he’d have an immediate impact on turning things around. I’ve said repeatedly at the time he needed to be playing at the start of the year if they need him to be a difference maker. Now the expectations on him are simply unfair. Having him in/out of the lineup isn’t helping either and probably damaging his confidence.

Talbot - Has been great but has been overused. He’s looked tired and hopefully he can get refocused after the ASG.

Copley - Started poorly and was turning the corner just as he got hurt.

Rittich - has been great

I don’t blame the goaltenders and all have done as well as can be expected. They are all unsuited for the #1 role for differing reasons. Talbot is too old for anything other than a 1A/B situation and ideally is the backup in a 60/40 split.

TMac - It’s time.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Kempe--crazy he's our leading scorer after going so cold at exactly the wrong time. But what a strong two-way player he's become and hopefully he gets something going here in his prime. He'll win a Cup in his career, but probably elsewhere.

Fiala--chaos monkey. I will never not love @bland 's description of him as an 'empty calories' scorer. Andreas Athanasiou on crack. He has playoff demons to slay but it's less about lack of production and more about handing the puck to the other team on a silver platter. He HAD been looking like he was finally over the knee injury but unfortunately somewhere he gave himself a TBI.

Kopitar--Father Time has finally arrived unfortunately. Bless him for shouldering the piano but CUT HIS f***ING MINUTES so we remember him fondly instead of as Bernie. Reinvented himself late-career for longevity it seems, Byfield helping him out a lot--but it's nice seeing him be the one to go to the soft spots and await a pass for the first time in his career.

Moore--What an emergence. You can sense his frustration in this stretch. Guy cares so much and he's fighting thru it. One guy I have no complaints about in this stretch.

Byfield--Nothing more to say about Q. Dude is our best forward already and I'm eager to see what happens next. YOu can see him starting to manhandle guys already, and now his frustration is turning into a chip on his shoulder, taking responsibility and ownership, deferring much much less. That's an important development.

Danault--he's really hurting lately but this dude is everything hockey. You can win with Danault. His stretch lately has sucked and I get the sense that from after this year he's going to start trending down but great leader and personality and will be an ideal 3C.

Doughty--two seasons for him--Norris worthy until January, then absolute trash and one of the major drags on the team. Not sure what's going on there. Reminds me of 201...6? When he was absolutely bonkers all year then inexplicably fell apart in the Jets game at the end of the year and sucked in the playoffs. It's all mental, get this guy a therapist.

PLD--lol. I mean, I like the human, i love that he loves it here, I want him to succeed. But it's becoming clear he can't be the best player on his line and he's gong to end up an overpaid winger that we gave up too much for and he'll likely never live that down. 8.5m won't be TOO painful down the road but considering this move was for NOW what a self-own.

Laferriere--what a great debut. He's picked up the pro game well. Definitely a guy who should have had some more bench/AHL time to learn and grow, the pro season is a marathon, but he'll work thru it. But for a guy whose greatest asset was his shot, we've gotta find a way to get his offense going so he doesn't just end up a good depth checker.

Anderson--Mikey's followed Doughty. Don't know why he's been so shaky lately. Nice to see him activate more and keep people honest.

Spence--being pulled down by Englund. His performance is what we expected when we were fans of his out of the draft. Maybe he doesn't fully turn into Spurgeon, but what a debut, especially on a team with expectations AND with an anchor around his neck with so much time with Englund and the 4th line.

Kaliyev--poor kid. He's gonna light it up elsewhere. He's gotta be wondering at this point what the f*** he has to do to stick because after getting benched he came out gangbusters and...got benched again. Their mishandling of him is for the ages.

Roy--Still underrated somehow.

Gavrikov--hasn't been the same since the 'lower body totally not knee' injury. Still an immense pickup butnow I'm a little worried he won't be fully 'back' until next year like the other folks. Typical Kings medical staff masterclass.

Grundstrom--showing why he shouldn't play up the lineup or necessarily be an everyday player. I love the guy and he's built for the playoffs but every time we try to make him something he's not it hurts him and the team.

Lewis--Father Time's 2nd in command, like Grundstrom, should be a 13th forward, rest him some games, etc. Smart and saavy and good with the buzzsaw kids for obvious reasons, I like him here but I don't like him blocking dudes out.

Lizotte--the beating this guy takes makes me wonder if his career is shortening as we speak. I know 18 year old me could play like a crash test dummy too but by 24 I felt every little jolt. Fantastic depth player though, and easy to root for, never a question of effort and drags guys into the game.

Englund--has turned back into the pumpkin we thought we were getting. Guy had a great start but the last 15 games have been beyond abysmal. Would really like to see Moverare get some more games. again, don't know what the fascination is of forcing guys into 82 games, rotate some kids through for coffee, earnings, etc....oh wait, Blake buttf***ed the cap so 'it's hard.'

JAD--bless him, does better with reps, good depth checker. Should'nt be blocking other kids. But in an alternate reality he's our 4C with guys like Turcotte ABOVE him instead of pushed out, so he catches stray bullets he shouldn't be catching.

Clarke--well, guess we wont' have to worry about those bonuses since the team is sucking a bag of dicks. Poor kid gets jerked all around and then begged to be our saviour and doesn't even get an offensive zone start in his debut, liek what the f*** are we doing here.

Moverare--played so so well, needs more showtime, no reason he shouldn't be rotating thru at LHD.

Turcotte--everyone's happy for the kid. Let's prayer circle for his health and continued emergence and KEEP HIM AWAY FROM THE AHL. please. He's better with better players because he's an NHL level support player.

Talbot--poor guy reached his limit. He did all he could but we all knew he'd hit a wall.

Rittich--BSD to the rescue sort of, let's not kill him next.

Copley--will always appreciate what he did, but I think that's it for him here.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Really? They re-signed him to an huge deal and the Jets are a contender. Why would the they trade him?
You know, when the trade with Winnipeg went down and they still didn’t have all the details but Blake dumped some contracts before the trade and gave up Vilardi…

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
I am having a hard time believing this team is more than a black hole team this year.

They can’t afford to have a three game losing streak going forward let alone anything longer.

Hoping that Hiller can change the lineup a bit and play a more aggressive style.

I’m also in the camp of trading Roy now. Dude is gone and they aren’t a cup team at this point. Gonna lose a possible first or goalie upgrade for nothing.

JJDrums

Oct 27, 2015
Cambridge, Ontario
The reality is they may squeak into the playoffs but this team would do better to step back and retool.

Danault will fetch a ton in the trade market. Move Roy, Grundstrom, Lizotte, Arvidsson for whatever draft capital you can… let the kids play and reset once a new coach is established.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
The reality is they may squeak into the playoffs but this team would do better to step back and retool.

Danault will fetch a ton in the trade market. Move Roy, Grundstrom, Lizotte, Arvidsson for whatever draft capital you can… let the kids play and reset once a new coach is established.
The problem is Blake would be making the deals and f*** it all up. Just like he’s f***ed everything up for the last 5 years.

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
fiala IS andreas athanasiou on crack.
he's actually entertaining as hell to watch virtually screw himself into the ice, and play the puck off the boards to himself for no appearent reason.
he is truly funnier than hell for me to watch

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
We have a very skilled team not playing up to their ability.

We lack grit.

We have a system that initially worked but the rest of the NHL has seemed to caught onto and found solutions to neutralize.

We miss the right shot on the power plays.

Still overplaying the older vets.

Goaltending played over there heads the first quarter but we are starting to see what we All feared in some regression to the mean.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Question somewhat tangentially related to this thread, has any organization done less with what they have than the Kings over the last 5 years?

From asset management, to developing players, to the record they've posted over that time, to were we are currently? Just a complete waste of all this talent, all this potential, and nothing really other than a couple winning seasons.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI

Not going to happen.

If they were going to look to the future they would have brought in a long-term coach when they fired TM. The fact that it’s an interim assistant should tell you everything you need to know.

Hiller is Blake what Torchetti was to Taylor.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Almost makes you wonder if the team is fighting internally
That's a great call

So who is the problem?

The new guys are
Dubois
Englund
Fiala
Talbot (not likely IMO)

I sincerely doubt it's one of the rookies

Not going to happen.

If they were going to look to the future they would have brought in a long-term coach when they fired TM. The fact that it’s an interim assistant should tell you everything you need to know.

Hiller is Blake what Torchetti was to Taylor.
1000% especially the last line

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
The Dubois trade destroyed the rebuild. It gut the teams depth along with an 8.5m contract that will never be moved.

Blake should be fired asap.

Gutted the team's depth? let's forget about Dubois the player now, Dubois = Vilardi, and then it took Iafallo and Kupari, Kupari wasn't doing much, isn't doing much, and Laf took over Iafallo's spot at millions cheaper.....

Like the trade or not, different story, but guts the team depth is not the reason why that trade was bad...

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
The Dubois trade destroyed the rebuild. It gut the teams depth along with an 8.5m contract that will never be moved.

Blake should be fired asap.
If Dubois was putting his expected point output, I don't think many of us would be complaining. Hell, he sucked ass the first 25 games of the season, team was still winning, and nobody cared much about PLD then!

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
If Dubois was putting his expected point output, I don't think many of us would be complaining. Hell, he sucked ass the first 25 games of the season, team was still winning, and nobody cared much about PLD then!
Wrong again. Plenty (i'd say most) were complaining when the trade was made and before we saw the actual putrid results. Most, if not all, fans thought PLD at least would provide his average results -- with many thinking he might do much better now with a place that wanted him. Even with those expected/projected results, the anti PLD trade was arguably a majority. Strongly against the trade for many reasons (mainly PLD reasons). Believe me, "many" would still be complaining in the scenario you give of PLD providing his usual pre-Kings results.

And then here you go again with the "nobody" was complained about PLD during the first 25 games. why make things up like that? Just look at the comments during that period time. Heck, several posters were complaining about the complaining. Why make these things up? If it's a troll job -- then ok, i give you props. But if not, then there is factual evidence in the season thread, each game threads, PLD thread -- it's all there. Or you can continue to make up falsehoods. You're call.

Reactions: Faterson and tny760

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad