Speculation: Post Vanek Lineups

• Thread starter hogtownhabsfan*
  • Start date

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
Eller has proven time and time again that he cannot play wing, even less on his off wing.

Have we ever tried him on his off wing? IIRC he's usually played on Pleks' LW.

He seems to favor that power move to the outside much like Cole used to. At the very least he'd be one of the few wingers we have that can actually win a battle along the boards as well as improve our zone entries. It's worth a shot IMO.

Vanek-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
Pacioretty-Desharnais-Eller
Briere-Plekanec-Gionta
Moen-Prust-Weise

Moen in Briere's place for defensive situations.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
With Bournival back I'd like to see him with Pleky and Gio again, they've looked good whenever they were together this year.

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Vanek
Bournival - Plekanec - Gionta
Galchenyuk - Eller - Gallagher
Prust - Briere - Moen

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
Eller has proven time and time again that he cannot play wing, even less on his off wing.

What do you mean he cannot play wing ? Because he didn't score ? He has one miserable pass in 23 games playing at center... I think he can play on the wing just fine.

If MT wants to use Plekanec and Gionta as a shutdown duo, than remove Vanek from these 2 and yes replace him with Eller who has good speed and can play the puck possession game but has no vision whatsoever...

And replace him with our most talented center in Galchenyuk... it's pretty simple, but MT is an idiot, so...

ZARTONK

Headscratcher!
Jul 4, 2008
Montreal
John Lu ‏@JohnLuTSNMtl 11m
#Habs practice lines:
Pacioretty/Desharnais/Vanek
Brière/Plekanec/Gionta
Galchenyuk/Eller/Gallagher
Moen/Prust/Weise
Bourque/White/Parros

JAVO16

Sep 21, 2008
Montréal
#Habs practice lines:
Brière/Plekanec/Gionta
Moen/Prust/Weise
Bourque/White/Parros

85178.gif

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
#Habs practice lines:
Brière/Plekanec/Gionta
Moen/Prust/Weise
Bourque/White/Parros

Desharnais gets our best wingers. Did anyone ever doubt that Desharnais would get Vanek? It just took a few games.

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
Desharnais gets our best wingers. Did anyone ever doubt that Desharnais would get Vanek? It just took a few games.

DD is not a bona fide first line center... However he's a pass-first (pass-only?) Center and it's likely going to mesh well with Vanek. MT could do much worse... Plus Vanek wins big time with Max as his winger. He's strong, can win puck battles and will make room for Vanek.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Therrien reading the boards?

It's about time!!!!

He read the wrong posts, imo. Here comes 15 games of Vanek scrambling to pick up second assists on plays from DD to Pacioretty, and Plekanec doing the heavy lifting with two of our smallest and oldest forwards on his wings in a two-way 20 min/night role neither deserves at this point...

JAVO16

Sep 21, 2008
Montréal
He read the wrong posts, imo. Here comes 15 games of Vanek scrambling to pick up second assists on plays from DD to Pacioretty, and Plekanec doing the heavy lifting with two of our smallest and oldest forwards on his wings in a two-way 20 min/night role neither deserves at this point...

We'll see, but DD was able to feed Cole two years ago just fine despite having Patches on his line too. My complaint would be that Pacioretty should play on his off-wing to have Vanek on the left side.

Last edited:

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007

If Gionta (circa 2014) absolutely needs to be with Plekanec, it relegates that line to a mostly shutdown capacity... Plekanec ends up the big loser... You can't put a pure offensive player on that line.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
DD is not a bona fide first line center... However he's a pass-first (pass-only?) Center and it's likely going to mesh well with Vanek. MT could do much worse... Plus Vanek wins big time with Max as his winger. He's strong, can win puck battles and will make room for Vanek.

I hope so. Patches doesn't really use his strength much but at least Vanek upgrades our top line's size and finish. Bugs me that Therrien moved Vanek to his off-wing to maintain ideal playing conditions for Desharnais, who is on pace for 48 points but coddled like a Crosby.

Plex with Briere and Gio is the league's smallest shutdown line for sure ⊙﹏⊙ but what else is new? At this point I'd prefer giving Weise a chance on that RW, at least he's physical and fast.

And come on EGG! Let's go EGG!

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
I hope so. Patches doesn't really use his strength much but at least Vanek upgrades our top line's size and finish. Bugs me that Therrien moved Vanek to his off-wing to maintain ideal playing conditions for Desharnais, who is on pace for 48 points but coddled like a Crosby.

Plex with Briere and Gio is the league's smallest shutdown line for sure ⊙﹏⊙ but what else is new? At this point I'd prefer giving Weise a chance on that RW, at least he's physical and fast.

And come on EGG! Let's go EGG!

You hope to get production from Plekanec-Gionta when they break up plays and score off the rush... Vanek won't touch the puck often... Even if Vanek ends up getting just 2nd assists on feeds from DD to Max, he'll end up more productive, and he knows the team appreciates him enough to put the best offensive player on the team with him...

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
#Habs practice lines:
Brière/Plekanec/Gionta
Moen/Prust/Weise
Bourque/White/Parros

Lots of pressure put on the youngsters to produce offensively... the way Eller has been playing lately, I'm concerned... but for some reason Eller is considered a solid 2nd line center among the posters... anyhow, I still forsee a lot of problems offensively...

And as long as Price isn't in net... a lot of problems defensively...

I would prefer keeping the 1st line intact...
Going with Vanek,Galchenuyk and Briere and a 3rd line of Eller, Plekanec and Gionta...

habitue*

Lots of pressure put on the youngsters to produce offensively... the way Eller has been playing lately, I'm concerned... but for some reason Eller is considered a solid 2nd line center among the posters... anyhow, I still forsee a lot of problems offensively...

Going with Vanek,Galchenuyk and Briere and a 3rd line of Eller, Plekanec and Gionta...

Dunno if that EGG line will click again and quickly.

I really would like Galchenyuk at centre and Eller on LW. Put the guy with the most vision and talent at centre, please.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
You hope to get production from Plekanec-Gionta when they break up plays and score off the rush... Vanek won't touch the puck often... Even if Vanek ends up getting just 2nd assists on feeds from DD to Max, he'll end up more productive, and he knows the team appreciates him enough to put the best offensive player on the team with him...

Yes Plekanec and Gionta break up plays, they have good anticipation and positioning. But sadly Gio is not a guy I enjoy watching on a rush, due his declining passing and shooting skills. I prefer Gio on the penalty kill where breaking up a play and icing the puck is enough. At 5-on-5 Gio does not help that line's size, grit or finish. But at least Gio isn't on the power play these days. ;)

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005

Don't we already have a million problems going forward?

Eller can't play wing. He's terrible there. He looks lost.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005

I really would like Galchenyuk at centre and Eller on LW. Put the guy with the most vision and talent at centre, please.

Makes perfect sense. As it is, when Eller carries the puck he goes perimeter, when Galchenyuk gets the puck he goes to the net. Switching them is the reasonable thing to do especially as Galchenyuk was drafted as a center.

Sample size?

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006

And he's not terrible at center right now ??

If you think he can't be move from the 3rd line center to the wing, well it's either the stands or waiver material...

habitue*

Put him there for the rest of the season.

The guy has the body and the skills to be a good checking winger and a shot good enough to score more.. He doesn't have the vision nor passing skilld to play center. If he could understand that, he would be way more succesful and helpful for this team.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

I reapeat myself for the 135882th time.

If Galchenyuk will play center , the other 2 center from the top 9 NEED TO TAKE DEFENSIVE MISSIONS CAUSE GALCHENYUK WON'T BE ABLE TO DO THAT.

This is the primarly reason why he's not at center.
Of course, if DD could play well defensively, Galchenyuk could take his place.

But we can't have 2 centers on our top 9 with low-defensive skills.
Pretty simple actually.

But i agree in the end...Galchenyuk has the best offensive vision on this team. he's the best puck-handler on this team, and he got the best offensive talent....i guess we should put him on an offensive line, but we only got one of those and it's already full!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad