Speculation: Post Vanek Lineups

• Thread starter hogtownhabsfan*
  • Start date

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
For sure I can more than live with the practice lines. Vanek finally on a pure offensive line and I really want to see that EGG line have another chance ( at least a few games because both Gally and especially Eller need to get going). Only thing I would tweak is put in Bournival for Briere. I mean Briere in there to keep him in the line-up is okay I guess, but if it doesn't work put in Bournival. I like Weise being back in, though miss White. Too many guys for the bottom 6.

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
It seems that Vanek if more comfortable on the LW. Can Pax play RW ?
Is this line better ? Vanek - DD - Pax ?

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
Why can't Plekanec and Vanek play like this?

Gio.

It's so depressing to think about how awesome Kovy was to watch and how terrible this team is offensively

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Why can't Plekanec and Vanek play like this?

Gio.

It's so depressing to think about how awesome Kovy was to watch and how terrible this team is offensively

Yeah, and AK has some skill and speed. I know, he wasn't consistent.

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
Yeah, and AK has some skill and speed. I know, he wasn't consistent.

If goal scorers were consistent as most people want them to be they would all be superstars. Vanek-Plekanec-AK > PlekVanek-Gio.. but I didn't meant to turn this into another Kostitsyn debate, simply just pointing out that PlekVanek and anyone else besides Gio could still be good.

matt77

Feb 27, 2013
I can't believe all the discussion around Vanek and where should we put him when everything is crystal clear:

LW Thomas Vanek: Goalscorer
C Alex Galchenyuk: Playmaker
RW Brendan Gallagher: 2-Way Forward, create a lot of space, scores goal....

Why the hell are we even talking about it?

Pierre Dagenais

pissening
Jan 10, 2007
montreal
I can't believe all the discussion around Vanek and where should we put him when everything is crystal clear:

If only real life was as easy as NHL 14

matt77

Feb 27, 2013
If only real life was as easy as NHL 14

I did not play NHL 14, what's your point?

Did MT try it in a game? Vanek - Galchenyuk - Gallagher?

It's not NHL 14, it's in the lineup...

You sound like you're missing Pierre Dagenais :S :S

Tucker316*

With Bournival back I'd like to see him with Pleky and Gio again, they've looked good whenever they were together this year.

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Vanek
Bournival - Plekanec - Gionta
Galchenyuk - Eller - Gallagher
Prust - Briere - Moen

Briere on the 4th? White fits that so much better.

Tucker316*

Have no fear folks, these were the lines at practice today...

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Vanek
Briere-Plekanec-Gionta
Galchenyuk-Eller-Gallagher
Moen-Prust-Weise
Bourque-White-Parros

Price also participated in the full practice and was taking shots 30 mins before as well.

http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/price-gets-early-start-at-habs-practice

Take Briere out, move Prust to that line and then insert White on the 4th. All the bums are then pretty much on the bench except DD.

HabsForHire

"Expect the unexpected"
Sep 21, 2011
CT
Take Briere out, move Prust to that line and then insert White on the 4th. All the bums are then pretty much on the bench except DD.

What about bournival in for briere (some extra speed added to that line cant hurt)

Wiese in for bourque and prust in for parros

EDSHabs

Dec 15, 2011
I did not play NHL 14, what's your point?

Did MT try it in a game? Vanek - Galchenyuk - Gallagher?

It's not NHL 14, it's in the lineup...

You sound like you're missing Pierre Dagenais :S :S

I like that line, even though vanek on a third line does not make much sense unless MT roll 3 line equally and gives them pp time.

But before doing that I would give MT latest practice line a few games, see how they do. If it does not work, then you can go:

Patch-dd-eller: gives that line more size, better board battle, just let eller carry the puck in the o-zone then let dd-patch do there thing with eller going to the net like gally does now. Should also need less sheltering.

Vanek-chucky-gally: offensive exploitation line, and gets chucky playing center with quality offensive winger.

Briere-plek-gio: shutdown line that can score on the counter attack. Worked pretty good before. But if they struggle, once bourni is back he can replace briere and maybe try briere with patch and eller.

moen-prust-weise: for now
Once bourni is back
Bourni-prust-weise: great forecheck with speed on the wing
prust-briere-weise:bourni with plek
prust-dd-weise:bourni with plek and briere with patch + eller.

With gorges injured:

Tinordi-subban
Markov-emelin
Beaulieu-weaver

Can also switch tinordi and emelin for a few games, see how emelin react to being back on the left + plus tinordi did not look bad on the right before.

Last edited:

crazyd

Canada is hockey
Jul 2, 2006
I'd be curious to try:

Vanek - Eller - Galchenyuk

or

Vanek - Plekanec - Galchenyuk

Shazbot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I'd be curious to try:

Vanek - Eller - Galchenyuk

or

Vanek - Plekanec - Galchenyuk

I proposed this line a few pages back and no one's interest was piqued. Matt77 also pitched something similar above.

Maybe if tonight's starting line combos don't produce through the first and second periods (heaven forbid!), El Guapo will try switching Vanek for Gallagher.

Then we could see Vanek - Eller - Galchenyuk.

All three are playmakers at heart. Both #20 and #27 have laserbeam shots and incredible deke-ability. Eller's speed and grittiness could pry those pucks out of the corners and create space for the two magicians. Seriously, why is no one into this?

I AM playing NHL 14 right now and they're tearing it up!

Plekanec between Vanek and Galchenyuk could be good stuff, too, of course, even better maybe. But Plekanec and Gionta seem to be inseparable. It's #20 and #27 together on the wings I'd really like to see, no matter who centers them.

Last edited:

crazyd

Canada is hockey
Jul 2, 2006
Down the road, when Galchenyuk is ready for center duties, we could have:
Vanek - Galchenyuk - Gallagher

Tucker316*

We had a true energy and grit line when White was paired with Weise. Why not go back to that?

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005

I think it's a good idea for two additional reasons -- would be playing guys at their preferred positions and would allow our best youngsters to experience playing beside one of the league's most prolific scorers.

We had a true energy and grit line when White was paired with Weise. Why not go back to that?

Yup, White and Weise grew up together -- a fast and tough combo with great chemistry.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
i like mt lines at the end

pacio-dd-vanek
briere-plekanec-gallagher
galchenyuk-eller-gionta
4th line

Thats pretty well balanced

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
The current lines are perfect.

Only thing, we should alternate Weise and Bourque, the one that plays the best gets the spot. I wish they would replace Moen but you know its not gonna happen, we value Moen as a beast for a certain reason I dont know about.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
RDS made a good point about Gallagher. He seems to get any line he's with going.

Why not play Vanek with Gallagher?

This was my original suggestion when vanek was acquired. Vanek has silky hands around the net, and nobody on this teamn is better than Gallagher at getting the puck in that area. Add in plekanec as your defensive conscience and playmaker.

The question then becomes who to put alongside desharnais and pacioretty.

Anyways, since they already have invested 2 games with vanek on the RW, we should see this experiment through before making another change. I have to say that his current line is showing some promise.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
This was my original suggestion when vanek was acquired. Vanek has silky hands around the net, and nobody on this teamn is better than Gallagher at getting the puck in that area. Add in plekanec as your defensive conscience and playmaker.

The question then becomes who to put alongside desharnais and pacioretty.

Anyways, since they already have invested 2 games with vanek on the RW, we should see this experiment through before making another change. I have to say that his current line is showing some promise.

Dale Weise 6'2 210lbs RW. Crashes and bangs the net. Smart. Sick wheels. He's like another Galagher in terms of being a sparkplug. Done. Easy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad