Post-Game Talk: Post Trade Deadline Thread

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Yes, I actually do - even the most conservative coach is going to try out and evaluate whatever young players are on his late-season roster when he's faced with the prospect of using them in place of the UFAs who are leaving.

Andrew Campbell and Dave Moss both say, "hi". :laugh:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The EHM-playing GM in me agrees with you wholeheartedly. Had it been me, I'd have probably traded Chip and Grossmann too.

But I see why Maloney didn't do it, and there's a rationale there that makes sense even if I'm not 100% in agreement with it.

Technically yes, but do you really think Dave Tippett is going to give them a shot, when he has the option of playing Chipchura instead?

We are playing like, what is it, about 7 rookies every game, and another two last game. They are seeing what they have and who they are going forward with.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The value isn't in the draft picks, or trade return we receive. It's in auditioning players we have on our farm, who are on the borderline of being NHL players. Since our season is completely shot, now is the time to try them out. Especially in lieu of players like Chipchura, Gordon, and Grossman, all of whom (I hope to God) won't be here next year.

The only one that has been playing regularly the last while is Chip. I think you may start to see Chip sitting, or maybe DT is doing him a favor and letting him play to showcase him to other teams so he might get a contract next year.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
The only one that has been playing regularly the last while is Chip. I think you may start to see Chip sitting, or maybe DT is doing him a favor and letting him play to showcase him to other teams so he might get a contract next year.

I think everyone better steel themselves for the possibility that Maloney might actually resign Chipchura in free agency. :(

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
We are playing like, what is it, about 7 rookies every game, and another two last game. They are seeing what they have and who they are going forward with.

I guess their job is done. Can't expect anything more from them. I'm glad we have the worst defense in the league for 2 years now.

Yeah perfect. In that case, I guess being nice to Chipchura for 15 games is a higher priority than trying to build the roster for next year. :laugh:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I guess their job is done. Can't expect anything more from them. I'm glad we have the worst defense in the league for 2 years now.

Yeah perfect. In that case, I guess being nice to Chipchura for 15 games is a higher priority than trying to build the roster for next year. :laugh:

Yeah, I agree. I would be playing another kid at center to see how they do, but I guess Springfield needs players because of what happened at TTD.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I have no problem having Chip on the 4th line next year. Sucks that you use him as a scapegoat.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
I have no problem having Chip on the 4th line next year. Sucks that you use him as a scapegoat.

Wait, you're kidding right? All my usual schtick, I can understand why you might think Chipchura's a better option for the fourth line this year, but you can't tell me you think he's a better option for the long term benefit of the organization, over a young, hungry player with upside such as Dauphin, MacInnes, or Gaudet.

With our pleothera of quality forward prospects, open roster spots are a very valuable asset.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

This attitude is part of the problem. People too busy defending millionaires that don't give a **** to give guys that actually want to play a chance.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

I totally agree. Chip has played well on the 4th line this year. He might get squeezed out though, depending on how many young guys make the team as forwards and if we sign a vet UFA forward. 50/50 chance he is hear next year. If he isn't, who is the new scape goat on this board? Vermette is the number 1 candidate.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
This attitude is part of the problem. People too busy defending millionaires that don't give a **** to give guys that actually want to play a chance.

Chip's a really mediocre player who plays hard to stay in the league.

As an aside, we need an everyday player who can really fight. Fighting's not going away anytime soon. It was way down at the beginning of the season, but seems to have picked up again during the second half.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Oh my ****ing God! Somebody wants to KEEP Chipchura?!?!?!? Really? REALLY?!?!?

I give up.

Please don't give up, I would need to watch clips of Trump and Rubio insulting each other for comic relief. :)

Of course I'll defend Chip. He has borderline NHL skills but is one of the few who plays to his level each and every night. My ***** is that the team had to play him out of position. He should be a 4th line player, rarely having to play against top 6 talent.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Wait, you're kidding right? All my usual schtick, I can understand why you might think Chipchura's a better option for the fourth line this year, but you can't tell me you think he's a better option for the long term benefit of the organization, over a young, hungry player with upside such as Dauphin, MacInnes, or Gaudet.

With our pleothera of quality forward prospects, open roster spots are a very valuable asset.

Yes I can. He is needed for maturity and stability with a bunch of kids who will be distracted by money, alcohol and T and A. I would bring in one or two of your 3 rooks to play alongside Chip for a year, and then move Chip once they handle themselves like NHL players.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Yes I can. He is needed for maturity and stability with a bunch of kids who will be distracted by money, alcohol and T and A. I would bring in one or two of your 3 rooks to play alongside Chip for a year, and then move Chip once they handle themselves like NHL players.

Why not bring in a more effective veteran, who could easily be acquired in free agency? Why does it have to be Chip?

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
My old philosophy last season was I want new guys who suck instead of the old guys who suck. Still don't think that's too much to ask for :laugh:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Thank you!

And this should go for the coaching and management too.

Buyout Smith

Fire Tippett
Fire Maloney
Fire Playfair

Let Chayka sit at the big boys table
Promote Brown to Associate coach

Hire Paul Fenton, Mike Futa, or Julien BriseBois as GM
Hire Mike Yeo, Benoit Groulx, John Stevens (beg), Mike Kitchen (beg), or Guy Boucher as head coach
Hire their choice of assistant
Hire Sean Burke to AGM, GM of AHL affiliate

As a condition of being hired or kept on, all will agree to the following organizational philosophies:
1. The Coyotes will prioritize internal talent and their ongoing development
2. The Coyotes will play entertaining hockey, to include hitting and fighting

As a condition of said hires joining the organization, ownership will sign the following pledge:
We, as owners, believe in those that we've entrusted to run the organization and will stay the **** out of hockey ops business.​

I'd feel good if all of the above happened. I figure Playfair getting fired is about all we will see, if that. DT possibly staying and getting his grubby grinder hands on the next wave of youngsters, plus possibly Matthews, makes me ill.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Oh my ****ing God! Somebody wants to KEEP Chipchura?!?!?!? Really? REALLY?!?!?

I give up.

I totally agree. Chip has played well on the 4th line this year. He might get squeezed out though, depending on how many young guys make the team as forwards and if we sign a vet UFA forward. 50/50 chance he is hear next year. If he isn't, who is the new scape goat on this board? Vermette is the number 1 candidate.

I'm one of the few that thought Chip filled a role this year and has done a pretty good job. Having said that, I hope a kid can come in and grab his spot.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I'm one of the few that thought Chip filled a role this year and has done a pretty good job. Having said that, I hope a kid can come in and grab his spot.

I'd agree, mostly. The one caveat is that he's still a gutless winder for a supposed tough guy. He NEVER steps up when the situation actually calls for it.

But yes, limiting his ice time has ensured that he hasn't actively hurt the team this season. Big whoop. Same can be said for John Scott.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad