Post-Game Talk: Post Trade Deadline Thread

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
GMDM in the past has graded out really well at the trade deadline, but this year is different.

People can say that he got equal value for Bods, but Maloney could have had probably back in December before the slump a 1st and top prospect for Bods.

But like Maloney always does, he tries to maximize value by waiting until the trade deadline, and in this circumstance, it bit him in the butt.

After reviewing, Wood is an ok, Bleackley is terrible and Tanguay, well, he's a warm body to finish the year.

In the past Maloney has garnered solid A's, but this time around he gets a "D". He couldn't even dump Grossman

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Why would Maloney trade Boedker when he was on a hot streak? He wanted to sign him then. You are asking to have this both ways.

Be mad at Boedker for the crappy return he got us. Don't be mad at Maloney. Don got as good a deal as can be expected for this...

C71da0d.png

Pile of garbage.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAA...

(breathes)

...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!

:laugh:

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Pile of garbage.

Maloney played chicken and lost, I'm not going to reward him by giving him a good grade when his tactics didn't work.

When Bods didn't accept the "offer" which was initially made in December, then Maloney could have began having conversations with potential suitors then when Bods was on a good streak...because he chose to think that if Bods numbers continued, he's be worth more (understandable), but because Bods went in the tank doesn't discount Maloney's error in maximizing value.

Again, in the past Maloney generally graded out to a solid A or A-, this just happens to be a time when he got caught on the wrong side of the fence. He gets and deserves the "D" grade this time around.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Its looks like every fanbase has more fans who are mad than happy. I'm noticing more and more of a resentment toward NTC's and NMC's now.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I'd give it a B. We are a bubble team still, though highly unlikely to qualify. I personally really like the Tangy aquisition. Sure he's not going to be a guy we really rely on but he will help guide some of these young guys and if we are truly lucky, pull out some Doaner like numbers for the next few months. The prospects are ok and Plotnikov could turn into a nice asset. Really Don didn't hurt the team in any way, shape or form, and added some pieces that COULD be great.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAA...

(breathes)

...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!

:laugh:

Perhaps Maloney is a bigger tool than I thought. I get it would be dumb to say the team is tanking but I really wish management and ownership wouldn't **** with our heads.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Maloney played chicken and lost, I'm not going to reward him by giving him a good grade when his tactics didn't work.

When Bods didn't accept the "offer" which was initially made in December, then Maloney could have began having conversations with potential suitors then when Bods was on a good streak...because he chose to think that if Bods numbers continued, he's be worth more (understandable), but because Bods went in the tank doesn't discount Maloney's error in maximizing value.

Of course Boedker would decline an offer while on such a streak. He'd be worth a fortune if he kept it up. I'm sure Don expected a correction to the norm in production. NOBODY and I mean NOBODY could've predicted that this would happen...

C71da0d.png

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
GMDM in the past has graded out really well at the trade deadline, but this year is different.

People can say that he got equal value for Bods, but Maloney could have had probably back in December before the slump a 1st and top prospect for Bods.

But like Maloney always does, he tries to maximize value by waiting until the trade deadline, and in this circumstance, it bit him in the butt.

After reviewing, Wood is an ok, Bleackley is terrible and Tanguay, well, he's a warm body to finish the year.

In the past Maloney has garnered solid A's, but this time around he gets a "D". He couldn't even dump Grossman

I think they had every intention to sign Boedker if he proved himself. I have not regrets waiting, but this years TDL is sure different than last.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
This deadline really didn't have a lot for the Coyotes. We weren't lighting up the standings, but we also were not selling everyone.

My belief was that we were going to make very few deals and simply ride the season out, even if that meant not trading Boedker now and waiting for the offseason. Glad we got something out of it, but I really didn't think that this deadline was about picking up a ton of assets. I think it was more about keeping this group together (even for most of the pending UFAs) and simply seeing where we evolved to. Getting some depth to fill in our glaring holes in the minors. We have done that.

I think either way, this was getting a 'C' from me - not much to trade away, not much to add, just kind of average all the way around. Different years yield different results. We can't compare how things were previously done and expect to get a similar return. Vermette went for that much b/c Chicago didn't have its best offensive threat until right around the playoffs. There appeared to be less of that interest generated this year.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Perhaps Maloney is a bigger tool than I thought. I get it would be dumb to say the team is tanking but I really wish management and ownership wouldn't **** with our heads.

I think he believes it.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Don't read anything into that quote. Tanguay is coming to Arizona because his salary is basically equal to Boedker's. Nothing more.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Between Smith and Boedker, Maloney is making a habit of offering players contracts they don't deserve when they are playing terribly.

I give him a C. He probably waited too long. Boedker sucks and GMs are wise to that, so the return is okay.

Not moving Gordon or Grossmann is bad.

Blowing smoke up the fans ***** about the playoffs is unforgivable.

Don't read anything into that quote. Tanguay is coming to Arizona because his salary is basically equal to Boedker's. Nothing more.

Maloney needs to be more honest. Honesty needs to be a thing with this organization, from ownership on down.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
How do you know gmdm played chicken and lost? That's speculation.

The trade market was soft this year compared to the past and bodker did nothing to inflate his value down the stretch.

Over 50% of his goals came in 2 games. Can't make that up.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I think he believes it.

Theoretically, he isn't wrong. We got this far with what we have. All it takes is a repeat of FEB 2012 in MAR 2016, and we are right back in the playoff picture. Maybe we get the absolute best of Tanguay vs what Boedker would have produced.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Theoretically, he isn't wrong. We got this far with what we have. All it takes is a repeat of FEB 2012 in MAR 2016, and we are right back in the playoff picture. Maybe we get the absolute best of Tanguay vs what Boedker would have produced.

Need to go 15-3

Do you see that happening?

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
My grade is a B.

Boedker return is OK considering his play. Also can't fault GMDM for not moving Grossmann and Gordon because the market obviously wasn't there. Had other teams moved players similar to those two guys, then he could take some heat.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009

I don't want Tanguay to have enough of a Moss troll in him to screw us out of a player we really need in the draft. Tanguay will hopefully suck enough for us to get the pick we really want.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Maloney: "I'm happy with the assets we got back. Continue to build and have all your powder ready in the off-season."

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Can we really be down on what GMDM did? I mean look at most of the trades this year, there wasn't a lot of greatness to many of them. Some bigger names got moved but it's not like those names have been tearing up the league. This was a very bland TDL, one which we all expected regardless if we want to admit that or not.

Chicago made a lot of move, as did Carolina and toronto, but those organizations are in very different situations than we are. I'm glad we kept Grossman and Gordon, that way if we do somehow manage to squeeze in, we aren't made a complete fool of.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad