Post retirement of number #68 Jaromir Jagr reflection thread - Finally home in PIT

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
Starting a new thread just to round out and reflect as the previous one was made a GDT and locked as all GDT are after a game ends.

Jagr will be staying in Pittsburgh and watching the Islanders game before returning to Czechia, and he said he would like to visit a practice as a spectator as well.

Here is a summary:

Press conference before the ceremony:

---

Full ceremony:

---

NHL.com speech only version:

---
Full clip of Jagrs cameo in the Penguins commentator box during the game:

hx0gOrD.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Vegeta and wizmet12

Dessloch

Nov 29, 2005
It did turn out I was right about Jagr being very nervous for his speech! I mean who can blame him? He has had a complicated relationship with the fans and been booed for 12 years. Also in the commentators booth he also alluded to that! He was terrified of making a mistake in the speech or upsetting anyone. Thats probably why you see him looking pretty tense during the ceremony up until after his speech!

The amount of pressure released from his shoulders when the speech was over was obvious! Not to mention Jagr never liked to talk in front of many people because of his insecurity over his english etc.

I think overall this jersey retirement was the most loaded emotionally I have ever witnessed, because there was not only 100% love expected.

The fans were great of course, and it turned out to perfection ;-)

Last edited:

spcastlemagic

Jul 3, 2006
Seeing Mario and Jagr together… we are so blessed in this city. So many all time beauties of the game have been here, even if just for a cup of coffee. I don’t think the generation of fans that came to the team in the Crosby era understand what these two meant to the city and the franchise. Probably the most fun to watch duo of all time.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Thoughts:
  • Jagr's speech was hilarious - the jokes about not being able to think of anything nice to say about Ulf Samuelsson and his girlfriend's age legitimately made me laugh out loud - and heartfelt. For all that's been said about Jagr in this town, you can tell he really did love playing here and that he has a deep affection for the organization, fans, and Mario in particular.
  • It's nice to see a jersey retirement banner with the classic black and gold. I assume the future 87/71/58(?) retirement banners will look like the 68 banner. I like the design, it's simple and iconic. I wonder if they'd ever change the Lemieux banner to match?
  • Too bad Straka couldn't be there!
  • Is it just me, or did Ed Olczyk keep calling Jagr "Geno" in the reels? He said it like 3 times. Weird.
  • It is a crime that Shero didn't manage to sign Jagr in 2012. Maybe he didn't want to play here as bad as he let on...maybe in that alternate reality, they don't win 2 more cups...I don't know. But I do know Jagr should have been Shero's first priority instead of Tyler Kennedy. Jagr is one of one.
  • This was long, long overdue.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I can appreciate what he did as "the athlete" during his time in Pittsburgh. Easily one of the top players in Pens history and just based on that alone he should have his moment.

But considering Jagr "the person" was a dude who created so much diversion off the ice with his comments and dramatic postures, it's very hard for me to separate the 2. He was a Captain bc he was by far the best player on the team in the late 90's. He was never Captain material

In short, my feelings are a land of contrast...

Dessloch

Nov 29, 2005
I can appreciate what he did as "the athlete" during his time in Pittsburgh. Easily one of the top players in Pens history and just based on that alone he should have his moment.

But considering Jagr "the person" was a dude who created so much diversion off the ice with his comments and dramatic postures, it's very hard for me to separate the 2. He was a Captain bc he was by far the best player on the team in the late 90's. He was never Captain material

In short, my feelings are a land of contrast...

I think you must have missed the ceremony if you came to the conclusion Jagrs only laid a positive mark on Pittsburgh, the fans, the org and his teammates as an athlete :)

Reactions: Old Man Jags

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I think you must have missed the ceremony if you came to the conclusion Jagrs only laid a positive mark on Pittsburgh, the fans, the org and his teammates as an athlete :)

And you must have missed the weird psychological connection that fans (that's short for fanatics btw) associate athletic performance with being a good person and teammate. Jagr was neither of those.

So that you are fully enlightened:

What is meant by halo effect?

What Is the Halo Effect? | Definition & Examples

The halo effect occurs when our overall positive impression of a person, product, or brand is based on a single characteristic. If our first impression is positive, the subsequent judgments we make will be colored by this first impression. Example: Halo effect The halo effect is a common bias in performance appraisals.

Dessloch

Nov 29, 2005
And you must have missed the weird psychological connection that fans (that's short for fanatics btw) associate athletic performance with being a good person and teammate. Jagr was neither of those.

So that you are fully enlightened:

What is meant by halo effect?

What Is the Halo Effect? | Definition & Examples

The halo effect occurs when our overall positive impression of a person, product, or brand is based on a single characteristic. If our first impression is positive, the subsequent judgments we make will be colored by this first impression. Example: Halo effect The halo effect is a common bias in performance appraisals.

Are you accusing all of Jagrs teammates and Penguins legends of lying about their experiences with Jagr? Both the people present at the ceremony and those who recorded video messages? Are the players, coaches. staff and Mike Lange also blinded by a weird psychological connection? And if you think they are, would you to tell it to their faces?

Are you the only one not being blind? What makes you more qualified to say if Jagr was a good person or not than those who actually spent time with him?

Craig Patrick crying like a baby watching yesterday, you are saying he should not have been doing that if he truly understood who Jaromir Jagr was, like only you do?

Last edited:

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Are you accusing all of Jagrs teammates and Penguins legends of lying about their experiences with Jagr? Both the people present at the ceremony and those who recorded video messages? Are the players, coaches. staff and Mike Lange also blinded by a weird psychological connection? And if you think they are, would to tell it to their faces?

Are you the only one not being blind? What makes you more qualified to say if Jagr was a good person or not than those who actually spent time with him?

Craig Patrick crying like a baby watching yesterday, you are saying he should not have been doing that if he truly understood who Jaromir Jagr was, like only you do?

I'm saying that former associates tend not to bring up the gambling, drag racing, the pouting and all the other shit Jagr pulled, on banner-raising night.

But please tell us how Jagr was this organization's Personal Jesus from a humanitarian angle.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Being pissed at a guy for 25 years because he asked for a trade out of a dead organization is just f***in' weird, man. :laugh: Ask anybody what team they associate Jagr with and it's always the Penguins. The people closest to the guy, his teammates (and owner who stood to lose a shitload by Jagr wanting out), stopped caring/forgave him decades ago. Let go. :laugh:

Dessloch

Nov 29, 2005
I'm saying that former associates tend not to bring up the gambling, drag racing, the pouting and all the other shit Jagr pulled, on banner-raising night.

But please tell us how Jagr was this organization's Personal Jesus from a humanitarian angle.

Does it say that any person going to the rafter of the hockey club Pittsburgh Penguins needs to be a personal saint? Or does it say the person should have contributed alot to the organization and the hockey team?

Not everyone is perfect like Crosby. And people evolve and mature and should be allowed some forgiveness IMO for acting a bit immature at times 25 years ago.

How did it even come to banner-raising night if Jagr was this terrible person as you make it out to be? He was booed for 12 years by fans, so it was certainly not the fans that bullied the Pens into retiring the jersey.

Lemieux has wanted this to happen for a long time, you doubt Marios judgement as well?

I think you are fine to have your own personal opinion but when you proclaim that your belief is more important than the people who actually lived that era with Jagr for 11 seasons, then you are out of bounds!

I think the Pens legends would take offense to your statements frankly!

Last edited:

Dessloch

Nov 29, 2005
This guys skills on the ice was magic <3 Wish he was young again and could still play! So nostalgic seeing them again 😍 Kovy was even more fun to watch than Jagr, he had such finesse that I never saw before both in stickhandling, skating and shooting! Unique style!

Last edited:

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Does it say that any person going to the rafter of the hockey club Pittsburgh Penguins needs to be a personal saint? Or does it say the person should have contributed alot to the organization and the hockey team?

Not everyone is perfect like Crosby. And people evolve and mature and should be allowed some forgiveness IMO for acting a bit immature at times 25 years ago.

How did it even come to banner-raising night if Jagr was this terrible person as you make it out to be? He was booed for 12 years by fans, so it was certainly not the fans that bullied the Pens into retiring the jersey.

Lemieux has wanted this to happen for a long time, you doubt Marios judgement as well?

I think you are fine to have your own personal opinion but when you proclaim that your belief is more important than the people who actually lived that era with Jagr for 11 seasons, then you are out of bounds!

I think the Pens legends would take offense to your statements frankly!

Do you not remember 2012 with the "I'm gonna play for the Pens again...oh wait no I'm not". For me it wasn't even about going to Philly. Dude was using it as leverage. That's the type of character that Jagr was. Just be honest and say you want to go for the bigger payday. He never intended to sign with the Pens bc they couldn't offer as much as other teams.

People have odd revisionist history about this dude. Again the man was a freak athlete and did amazing things on the ice. In no way am I shorting him here. But I can still appreciate the art and dislike the artist

Ahhh yes the scum of the earth that are gamblers and drag racers. Pure evil.

If you had someone close to you that was killed due to idiots drag racing. I'm guessing you'd feel a tad differently. Ask Dany Heatly if he had a good time

Invalid cuz QoC

Jan 30, 2017
Do you not remember 2012 with the "I'm gonna play for the Pens again...oh wait no I'm not". For me it wasn't even about going to Philly. Dude was using it as leverage. That's the type of character that Jagr was. Just be honest and say you want to go for the bigger payday. He never intended to sign with the Pens bc they couldn't offer as much as other teams.

People have odd revisionist history about this dude. Again the man was a freak athlete and did amazing things on the ice. In no way am I shorting him here. But I can still appreciate the art and dislike the artist

If you had someone close to you that was killed due to idiots drag racing. I'm guessing you'd feel a tad differently. Ask Dany Heatly if he had a good time

This is an a very basic and terrible act of reasoning.

Just say you hate gambling, and that Foosball is for the devil.

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh
The biggest shame of all yesterday was that Mike Lange couldn't be there; not necessarily to emcee but just to BE there. It was nice that Jagr, while in the booth, mentioned that he spoke to Lange the day before.

Kudos also to the Pens for putting the Ol' 29er in a sweater rather than in front of a mic for the ceremony, and for letting Steigy (the best available option in the absence of Lange) to emcee rather than Getzoff.

• Love
Reactions: Dessloch

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Being pissed at a guy for 25 years because he asked for a trade out of a dead organization is just f***in' weird, man. :laugh: Ask anybody what team they associate Jagr with and it's always the Penguins. The people closest to the guy, his teammates (and owner who stood to lose a shitload by Jagr wanting out), stopped caring/forgave him decades ago. Let go. :laugh:

I don't think it is really about any of that.

The Penguins had a pretty insane requirement in regards to retiring numbers. You died or you were Mario Lemieux. Jagr going up there for his on ice achievements is deserved, but if you are going to say that you are opening up to a lot of players (Francis, Fleury, Letang) that are maybe not the same caliber as Jags.

To me it is about wanting to cash in on nostalgia versus doing what the franchise has done in the past when it comes to retiring numbers. Jagr is a great player and a funny guy, but he is a mercenary and not a team first guy. There is nothing wrong with that. My favorite Penguin is Alexei Kovalev. He's the same type.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I don't think it is really about any of that.

The Penguins had a pretty insane requirement in regards to retiring numbers. You died or you were Mario Lemieux. Jagr going up there for his on ice achievements is deserved, but if you are going to say that you are opening up to a lot of players (Francis, Fleury, Letang) that are maybe not the same caliber as Jags.

To me it is about wanting to cash in on nostalgia versus doing what the franchise has done in the past when it comes to retiring numbers. Jagr is a great player and a funny guy, but he is a mercenary and not a team first guy. There is nothing wrong with that. My favorite Penguin is Alexei Kovalev. He's the same type.
I guess I just don't think retiring numbers holds some super prestige or anything. Do you honestly give a shit if Mario, Jagr, Sid, Geno, Francis, Fleury and Letang are up there at the end of the day? They're all varying degrees of franchise legends and four of 'em would be pretty much every other organization's GOAT. It's all just dumb fun anyway and an excuse for alumni to catch up and fans to enjoy a night of nostalgia.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad