Post-lottery 2023 NHL mock

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
1. :hawks selects Connor Bedard - C (Regina -WHL)
2. :ducks selects Adam Fantilli - C (University of Michigan - NCAA)
3. :cbj selects Leo Carlsson - C (Orebro - SHL)
4. :sharks selects Will Smith - C (US U18 National Team - USDP)
5. :habs selects Dalibor Dvorsky - C (AIK - Allsvenskan)
6. :coyotes selects Zach Benson - LW (Winnipeg - WHL)
7. :flyers selects David Reinbacher - D (Kloten - NL)
8. :caps selects Matvei Michkov - RW (Sochi - KHL)
9. :wings selects Ryan Leonard - RW (US U18 National Team - USDP)
10. :blues selects Nate Danielson - C (Brandon - WHL)
11. :nucks selects Oliver Moore - C (US U18 National Team - USDP)
12. :coyotes selects Matthew Wood - RW (University of Connecticut - NCAA)
13. :sabres selects Axel Sandin Pellikka - D (Skelleftea - SHL)
14. :pens selects Colby Barlow - LW (Owen Sound - OHL)
15. :nashville selects Gabriel Perreault - LW (US U18 National Team - USDP)
16. :flames selects Andrew Cristall - LW (Kelowna - WHL)

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
I don't see the Coyotes selecting Benson. If the draft unfolds like you mocked, and if the 'Yotes are apprehensive about Michkov, then I can see them trading down. So it's unlikely Michkov gets past 6.
GMBA wants to go big and Benson isn't.

Reactions: Jakey53

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Oh dear god NO! If Michkov is available at 5, we have to take him. He is 1A in this draft. And I think a lot of people will be surprised by how small that gap is.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I would break things in anger if the Blues selected Danielson with the first top-10 pick they've had since 2008.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
This seems like an overreaction
I don't think it is. If Bedard, Fantilli, Carlsson and Smith are all gone and Michkov is available...the gap between him and the rest is huge. Like Alex Ovechkin vs. Andrew Ladd. The other guys may have decent NHL careers, but Michkov is closest to Bedard and himself may be generational. So many people are sleeping on him.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I don't think it is. If Bedard, Fantilli, Carlsson and Smith are all gone and Michkov is available...the gap between him and the rest is huge. Like Alex Ovechkin vs. Andrew Ladd. The other guys may have decent NHL careers, but Michkov is closest to Bedard and himself may be generational. So many people are sleeping on him.
I fully read this wrong and thought the guy you quoted, quoted the post about Danielson.

Reactions: waitin425

spfan

May 4, 2009
I'd really hate to see Caps get Michkov. I think he drops a little, but not quite that far.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
Are you certain about that? Grier's son is close friends with Smith and he's already in North America
Of course I’m not certain. No one here is. But Michkov is the BPA after Bedard. Sharks need everything. Including a scoring phenom. I’m not sleeping on Smiths skills at all, but he’s more common than a Michkov. No question about it. But besides his obvious attractive skill set, this will be part owners decision here. The Sharks (or anyone getting Mich) can market the F out of him. And he’s someone you can fit into any system if you wanted to, albeit sheltering him where necessary (or even if necessary- his short comings aren’t certain)

So no im not certain. But if the Russian factor isn’t a factor for the org (and so far it never has been) there’s enough reasons to draft the next elite dynamic scorer this league may have ever seen AT FREAKING 4OA.

And as far as him getting to 4…CBJ is more in a let’s try and win now/soon with their core. Carlsson or Smith would help them faster than Michkov. Sharks are like 15% into their rebuild. That said, wtf do I know. They could absolutely also think getting him trumps any plan due to his potential on the ice and off.

Reactions: MasterMatt25

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
Everybody calls this the Bedard draft, but as a Habs fan I think it is more the Smith draft. Everything will come down to the Columbus selection. They are the ones that will dictate the order based on whether they choose to go Smith or Carlsson. If they choose Smith there is a good chance SJ takes Michkov over Carlsson and Carlsson goes to Montreal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad