Post Kraken Expansion Draft

MindRiot

Jul 9, 2021
@Gniwder :
" That whole team was poorly coached and nobody did well, look at Laine's stats. They made the Wings look like a decent NHL team every game. Plus nobody knows how long he was playing with the injury before he brought it up to the team doctors. I'm not concerned about his ability to find his game, he seems to do well in new environments every time.

It's absolutely a gamble to take someone like Domi, but one that's worth it. If you think $5M is a lot, wait until you see what top end free agents are gonna go for. I also don't see opportunity cost as an issue because the team isn't going to hit the cap limit. They'd have to sign Landeskog, Ovechkin, AND Dougie to get there."

That's where the debate is. If there wasn't one, Columbus would surely protect him because they would at least get something for him by the trade deadline instead of losing him for nothing in expansion, right?

All I'm saying is you don't take a player unless you are confident you'll get something that outweighs the value you could otherwise get from that cap space now or down the line. Plenty of teams will lose cap flexibility once the season starts. We don't necessarily have to. It puts us in good position to take on a cap dump for something perhaps more valuable than what's apparently being offered to us right now.

The reason you're not seeing opportunity cost issues with our cap is because Francis has stayed away from the Domis, JVRs, Voraceks, Ghosts, Tarasenkos, etc, otherwise we'd be pretty close to the cap limit.

Trust me, I know how ridiculous UFA signings can get. We kinda already have one with Oleksiak. Sure, there's risk with everything, but at least you're more confident in the value you're getting with the players your staff have targeted. Domi doesn't seem to be one, at least not as an expansion pick. Again, I'm not sure why so many are acting as if these doors are now closed. If it makes sense, they can still make deals to take on gambles like Domi.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
@Gniwder :
" That whole team was poorly coached and nobody did well, look at Laine's stats. They made the Wings look like a decent NHL team every game. Plus nobody knows how long he was playing with the injury before he brought it up to the team doctors. I'm not concerned about his ability to find his game, he seems to do well in new environments every time.

It's absolutely a gamble to take someone like Domi, but one that's worth it. If you think $5M is a lot, wait until you see what top end free agents are gonna go for. I also don't see opportunity cost as an issue because the team isn't going to hit the cap limit. They'd have to sign Landeskog, Ovechkin, AND Dougie to get there."

That's where the debate is. If there wasn't one, Columbus would surely protect him because they would at least get something for him by the trade deadline instead of losing him for nothing in expansion, right?

All I'm saying is you don't take a player unless you are confident you'll get something that outweighs the value you could otherwise get from that cap space now or down the line. Plenty of teams will lose cap flexibility once the season starts. We don't necessarily have to. It puts us in good position to take on a cap dump for something perhaps more valuable than what's apparently being offered to us right now.

The reason you're not seeing opportunity cost issues with our cap is because Francis has stayed away from the Domis, JVRs, Voraceks, Ghosts, Tarasenkos, etc, otherwise we'd be pretty close to the cap limit.

Trust me, I know how ridiculous UFA signings can get. We kinda already have one with Oleksiak. Sure, there's risk with everything, but at least you're more confident in the value you're getting with the players your staff have targeted. Domi doesn't seem to be one, at least not as an expansion pick. Again, I'm not sure why so many are acting as if these doors are now closed. If it makes sense, they can still make deals to take on gambles like Domi.
You also realize that the team is under the salary cap floor right now?

Taking the floor into consideration, I'd taken both Tarasenko and JVR. I'll admit Domi is a riskier pick, and if the plan is to be cheap and minimize costs, then I get it. But I'm also not going to be a fan of a salary floor team, so if this continues you won't see me around after a couple of years.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
To me it’s pretty wild we ended up getting Adam Larsson and Oleksiak. I really didn’t think those would happen.

Tanev sure has a lot of charisma. I didn’t see the value in picking him until he got on stage. Then I immediately got it. Dude has an extra bit of the thing most people don’t have (it) and I think there isn’t a value one can put on that. It helps that he plays good hockey too. I’m stoked.

MindRiot

Jul 9, 2021
You also realize that the team is under the salary cap floor right now?

Taking the floor into consideration, I'd taken both Tarasenko and JVR. I'll admit Domi is a riskier pick, and if the plan is to be cheap and minimize costs, then I get it. But I'm also not going to be a fan of a salary floor team, so if this continues you won't see me around after a couple of years.

Hey man, I get it, but I think it's less about the cap # than an organization's commitment to building a perennial contender. All signs point in the right direction starting from the owners on down at least so far. Personally, I'd be more worried about being a middle of the pack team that's never bad enough to draft high and get young franchise guys to enjoy watching in their prime years. The "one-armed" Tarasenkos (your words lol) - healthy or not, odds are their best days are behind them. I didn't see really much of anything available for the expansion draft to get really excited about. But maybe that's just me.

I think newer fans of Seattle will find that it's tough to predict how competitive an NHL team will be based on what you see on a depth chart. Regardless, some of the guys we already have play a type of game that's fun to watch. Hopefully there's enough there for ya to at least start off with!

Last edited:

MindRiot

Jul 9, 2021
To me it’s pretty wild we ended up getting Adam Larsson and Oleksiak. I really didn’t think those would happen.

Tanev sure has a lot of charisma. I didn’t see the value in picking him until he got on stage. Then I immediately got it. Dude has an extra bit of the thing most people don’t have (it) and I think there isn’t a value one can put on that. It helps that he plays good hockey too. I’m stoked.

Dude, you will love the way Tanev plays the game. One of the most tenacious, energetic players around. 110% every shift. Not terrible puck skills either.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Jarnkrok - Gourde - Eberle
Tanev - McCann - Donskoi

Need some FA signings/trades to push Jarnkrok/Tanev down the lineup - can see Schwartz/Saad/Tatar/Bozak possibly being targets. Could potentially get the latter half of those guys on cheaper deals. Need to really fill out the depth too.

Giordano - Larsson
Oleksiak
Dunn

Need to figure out who is playing RD. I'm hoping this is where Dougie Hamilton comes into play.

Dreidger
Vanecek

Sink or swim for both these guys. Who wants the net more. Good position to be in for Seattle - two hungry goalies with a wide open chance to be the guy.

Reactions: mattihp

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
I really wanted to buy a Kraken jersey. But it is hard to know who will even be on the team next year. Larsson I can be pretty sure of. But otherwise... Many of these guys can fall off a cliff until then, or not even climb up on to the cliff completly.

Hopefully a big nice FA and a trade or two will change things. A marketable player would be nice.

MindRiot

Jul 9, 2021
I really wanted to buy a Kraken jersey. But it is hard to know who will even be on the team next year. Larsson I can be pretty sure of. But otherwise... Many of these guys can fall off a cliff until then, or not even climb up on to the cliff completly.

Hopefully a big nice FA and a trade or two will change things. A marketable player would be nice.

This 4.6 x 5 smile ain't going nowhere! :

JO.jpg

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Beniers ;)

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Not that I've heard it's likely but I'm worried that #2 OA will be traded in the quest to add a top 6 forward. Please don't do that Ron.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
The way Francis has acted during his time in Carolina and so far in Seattle I doubt that will happen.

He's rather, let's call it reserved when it comes to trades and stuff like that.
Yeah. I would not be surprised if he moves down from #2 a little but but highly doubt we end up with no picks in the first round. And if that #2 gets moved completely without us getting a 1st round pick back, I really hope a bonafide young superstar is coming here.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
This is what I was thinking before today. All of a sudden, my intuition is screaming Eklund.
Your intuition sucks, lol.

Francis played the conservative game once again, Beniers was by far the safest pick. Not complaining though, I figured he was gonna be picked even before the ED. The team is thin up front, he fills a need, and a HOF center is obviously going to build a team around a center.

No surprises, no excitement.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Your intuition sucks, lol.

Francis played the conservative game once again, Beniers was by far the safest pick. Not complaining though, I figured he was gonna be picked even before the ED. The team is thin up front, he fills a need, and a HOF center is obviously going to build a team around a center.

No surprises, no excitement.
I am glad it did .. :)

Reactions: Gniwder

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Jarnkrok - Gourde - Eberle
Tanev - McCann - Donskoi

Need some FA signings/trades to push Jarnkrok/Tanev down the lineup - can see Schwartz/Saad/Tatar/Bozak possibly being targets. Could potentially get the latter half of those guys on cheaper deals. Need to really fill out the depth too.

Giordano - Larsson
Oleksiak
Dunn

Need to figure out who is playing RD. I'm hoping this is where Dougie Hamilton comes into play.

Dreidger
Vanecek

Sink or swim for both these guys. Who wants the net more. Good position to be in for Seattle - two hungry goalies with a wide open chance to be the guy.

As the new team in the league, Im a bit interrested about them.

The defence is solid, good stratrgy by Francis. But the forwards are fragile. The first line there is a bit small and soft. Your newly drafted Bernier could fo straight into thw 2C spot.

I would target
1 Schwartz. A strong solid center.
2 Saad a top 6 winger with speed.
3 Danault. Ha solid 2 way center.
4 Tatar. You already got Eberle, so Tatar is just to redundent. Goalscorers are so 80s , early 90s, in todays game very overrated.
But he has his glimpses.

Järnkrok Schwartz Eberle
Saad McCann Donskoi
Tanev Gourde Apleton
Geekie Blackwell Bastian

K Lind
Tymaniskiskiski

Giordano Dunn
Oleksiak Larsson
Scouy (risk of traded) Cholokowski
Borgen Lauzon

Driedger
Vanacek

Looks great for me

IF Seattme could lure Landeskog to sign, selling in Larsson is here with us, then great. They then just need Schwartz.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad