Fantasy: Post HF Sharks Fantasy Hockey Talk

HydroF

Mar 27, 2014
Vacaville
Now that the season is over I would like to hear from people of all divisions about how their season went.

Any late round draft picks that turned out particularly well? Early picks that turned into busts? Great FA pick ups, interesting trades, lessons learned?

Mar 12, 2008
SF Bay Area
My goalie drafting sucked wind until i picked up Gibson but everyone else sucked. The only other good thing out my draft was I drafted Joe $$. Horrible first year as League 4 Commissioner. Was very busy at home/work and didnt get involved too much with the league. For that I apologize. I will strive to be better and more interactive.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
My draft for Division 1 was horrible. I must have done a great job with the waiver wire.

1. (3) Tyler Seguin (Dal - C,RW)
2. (22) Logan Couture (SJ - C,LW)
3. (27) Jonathan Quick (LA - G)
4. (46) Tyler Johnson (TB - C)
5. (51) Nick Foligno (Cls - C,LW)
6. (70) Andrew Ladd (Chi - LW)
7. (75) Ryan Miller (Van - G)
8. (94) Marian Hossa (Chi - RW)
9. (99) Justin Faulk (Car - D)
10. (118) Radim Vrbata (Van - RW)
11. (123) Andrei Markov (Mon - D)
12. (142) Niklas Kronwall (Det - D)
13. (147) Ryan Callahan (TB - RW)
14. (166) Nick Bjugstad (Fla - C)
15. (171) Troy Brouwer (StL - RW)
16. (190) Jason Pominville (Min - RW)
17. (195) Cody Franson (Buf - D)
18. (214) Petr Mrazek (Det - G)
19. (219) Sergei Plotnikov (Ari - LW)
20. (238) Frans Nielsen (NYI - C)

The same goes for Division 2.

1. (9) Phil Kessel (Pit - RW)
2. (16) Jonathan Toews (Chi - C)
3. (33) Zach Parise (Min - LW)
4. (40) Corey Crawford (Chi - G)
5. (57) David Backes (StL - C,RW)
6. (64) John Carlson (Was - D)
7. (81) Daniel Sedin (Van - LW)
8. (88) Ryan Miller (Van - G)
9. (105) Steve Mason (Phi - G)
10. (112) Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (Edm - C)
11. (129) Andrei Markov (Mon - D)
12. (136) Niklas Kronwall (Det - D)
13. (153) Jarome Iginla (Col - RW)
14. (160) Ryan Callahan (TB - RW)
15. (177) Mikko Koivu (Min - C)
16. (184) Mats Zuccarello (NYR - LW,RW)
17. (201) Kris Russell (Dal - D)
18. (208) Mike Hoffman (Ott - C,LW)
19. (225) Johan Franzen (Det - LW,RW)
20. (232) Brooks Orpik (Was - D)

HydroF

Mar 27, 2014
Vacaville
My biggest draft win was getting Kuznetsov in the 15th round. Then picking up Panarin and Larkin out of FA right at the start of the season was a huge boost. Also after Perron got dropped by someone, picking him up when he got traded to the Ducks payed off big time.

Had drafted Getzlaf in 2nd round, and McDavid in 3rd round. So first part of the season when getz was sucking and McDavid was injured, the other moves really made up for it.

Biggest mistake was probably dropping Mrazek early on. Didn't really need him, but it would have made things a lot easier when he got hot.

Evil Janney

Jul 12, 2004
3 lucky picks while drafting:
Ristolainen - 18th round
Kadri - 15th round
Schneider - 6th round

All I cared about was one thing, grind out a win against the opponent. I didn't care about the margin, just the win. Too bad I only finished with 95 moves...barely missed 100 :sarcasm:

SharksFan1

Aug 9, 2010
Orange County, CA
Picking Lundqvist and Dubnyk as the 12th pick in the 1st and 3rd rounds seemed to workout ok. I'm a big fan of having two quality starters. Cammalleri was a great pickup in the 19th round until he got injured. Hertl started out slow, but I'm glad I didn't drop him as he really came through in the seconds half of the year. Dustin Brown was a disappointment all year and I dropped him as soon as the playoffs started. Luckily being near the top of the league most of the season allowed me to be a little more patient with my players. If was in the bottom I probably would have dropped Hertl early on.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
I think this is the first time I've ever gone through a fantasy season without some kind of trade. I was pretty happy with my team for the most part, except a good chunk of them got injured during the last month of the season.

nerdybeard

Oct 1, 2011
Oakland, CA
Took home 2nd place in D3. Had a pretty good end of the year to propel me into the playoffs and take silver. Thanks again to everyone who participated and arranged these leagues!

My team's overview this season:

The good
Scheifele's end of the year explosion pushed me through the playoffs
Tarasenko did as well as I thought he would
Sharp did better than I thought he would

The bad
Howard. Yeesh.
Expected more from Vatanen

The ugly
Malkin's injury right before fantasy playoffs started =(

HydroF

Mar 27, 2014
Vacaville
Picking Lundqvist and Dubnyk as the 12th pick in the 1st and 3rd rounds seemed to workout ok. I'm a big fan of having two quality starters.

Doing the opposite worked out great for me. Especially when only 2 goalie appearances are needed. I spent the season doing a lot of picking up backup goalies who were being played in a favorable matchups. Ended up leading division 3 in GAA record and SV% record utilizing guys like Reimer, Enroth, Raanta, Domingue, Montoya etc.

Next year if we stick with just 2 goalie appearances I am definitely going to wait a couple extra rounds before picking up a goalie.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Bad: Malkin in the 1st round (LOL), Subban getting injured late in the season, Marleau busted, Palat pick was awful, Tatar did worse than expected

Good: Bishop had a solid year, Huberdeau was hot down the stretch, Doughty had a solid year, Landeskog was pretty good, Sedin did a bit worse than last year but still not bad, Zuccarello had a good year.

End result: Barely squeezed out 4th in D2...not a good year lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad