Post Game Thead - The Our Best Defenseman Was a Teenager Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Zatkoff's performance was disappointing, but I'm willing to give him some leeway to shake off first game jitters.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Well, Zatkoff obviously sucks. His rebound control is non-existent. He´s very bad. The defense didn´t make it easier for him, though. We still did have tons of scoring chances, but Markstrom is a legit NHL goalie and that was a difference.

Horrrible games by Orpik and Crosby, I have to say. Kunitz was invisible all night long and then he failed on a crucial breakaway. Maatta wasn´t on the ice for a single goal allowed, if I´m right. He was fine in this game full of craps.

Our team will be all right. They kind of underestimated the Cats tonight but it´s just one meaningless game. Our backup is a problem. Going with Zatkoff is an immediate handicap for us, at least we know it now.

First one he was on for with Bortuzzo, Kunitz, Crosby and Dupuis.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Didn't read the game thread. Assume it was a meltdown.

Anyways,

+Glass had his second good game in a row

+and Adams had his first good game in, probably, 8 months

+Maata

-Bennett. Nice pass in the first. Was playing way too cute for the rest of the game.

-Zatkoff. Rough first game

-centermen. Don't know what the faceoff totals were, but it feels like they won about 4 out of 50.

--Kunitz. As much as it's become popular to rag on Dupuis for...whatever reason...this guy is the one who is actually malfunctioning. He's been a slow starter before--his first 5 or 6 games last year were an abomination--but there are other things that concern me: mostly that he's completely bailed on the idea that he should maybe go to the net every once in a while.

That he stopped going to the net is particularly problematic when he boots every puck that's within 5 feet of him straight to the opposition.

His screenwork on the powerplay ain't cutting it either.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
gonna say what i said in the last thread...this was a really lame game through and through, but I have a feeling it'll be a blip on the season. I don't think the sorts of problems we saw in this game are going to become chronic issues and we'll all forget about this in a week.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Didn't read the game thread. Assume it was a meltdown.

Anyways,

+Glass had his second good game in a row

+and Adams had his first good game in, probably, 8 months

+Maata

-Bennett. Nice pass in the first. Was playing way too cute for the rest of the game.

-Zatkoff. Rough first game

-centermen. Don't know what the faceoff totals were, but it feels like they won about 4 out of 50.

--Kunitz. As much as it's become popular to rag on Dupuis for...whatever reason...this guy is the one who is actually malfunctioning. He's been a slow starter before--his first 5 or 6 games last year were an abomination--but there are other things that concern me: mostly that he's completely bailed on the idea that he should maybe go to the net every once in a while.

That he stopped going to the net is particularly problematic when he boots every puck that's within 5 feet of him straight to the opposition.

His screenwork on the powerplay ain't cutting it either.

Not a work here rings untrue.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Dupuis gets ragged on because he is criminally miscast on this team. That will draw some ire... but oh well. It's true. But it isn't his fault.

I agree that Kunitz is the actual faulty piece on that line, right now. He's been miserable. Multiple dimensions of horrible. And that is his fault. He looks like he's playing badly injured and concussed, or something.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
+ The 4th line.
+ That one time Malkin shot the puck.
+ MAF smirking on every soft goal Zatkoff let in.
+ Crosby finding the only person on the ice that he's taller than, and kneeing him from behind.

- Shot blocking.
- Defensive zone play.
- Offensive zone give-aways.
- One of the worst 4 on 3s I ever saw.
- Everyone else, really. Was painful to watch.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Zatkoff's performance was disappointing, but I'm willing to give him some leeway to shake off first game jitters.
Brent Johnson 2.0. BJ was also getting his chances. I can´t imagine us getting with Zatkoff against an above-average team. It´s a brutal handicap, mentally and also on the ice. He can´t hold a puck for ****ing sake. Juicy rebounds everywhere.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Don't look too far into this one. We hit a few posts, played pretty sloppy, and iced an AHL goalie that played at an AHL level. You can't win em all, and we always seem to cough up losses to teams we 'should' beat. Florida played a solid game and capitalized on everything the Pens gave them, not to mention Markstrom made some pretty big saves.

Sid had an off game, but just be glad he had one against Florida as opposed to Boston/Washington/Philly/Detroit.

Beau needs to be playing top 6 minutes, DB needs to try him on that top line and break up Kunitz - Sid - Duper, he's done nothing but prove himself worthy of a shot.

bylsma1_330.jpg

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Dupuis gets ragged on because he is criminally miscast on this team. That will draw some ire... but oh well. It's true. But it isn't his fault.

I agree that Kunitz is the actual faulty piece on that line, right now. He's been miserable. Multiple dimensions of horrible. And that is his fault. He looks like he's playing badly injured and concussed, or something.

You could flip him and Beau (Bylsma did that for a shift before the Sid meltdown), but I'm not sure I want to **** with Geno's game like that.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Suck it KIRK, i'm funnier then you!:p: I make peoples belly laugh.

God I hate you. Like Bylsma 'I won't put Geno out on the PK in a game where we're down by two with two and a half minutes left' hate

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Still trying to digest the strategic genius himself, Dan Bylsma, throwing out Glass and Adams on that PK with 1:30 to go, down 2 goals. WTF was that? Who cares if you lose 5-3 or 6-3? And they scored anyway.

And Sid going after a guy who laid a good hit.
Firstly, you don't have to be the guy to do it and secondly, they were down 2 with 2 minutes and some change left.
Just another dumb penalty that were used to seeing.

The game overall didn't really start to go south until Vitale's penalty to bring about the 5on3 which the Panthers scored on then added one on the 5on4 afterwards.

They started to scramble after that and forgot the systems. Trying stretch passes, forcing plays up the boards and getting caught in our zone alot. Should be a good learning tool at the very least that continuing to play your systems will get you to the O-Zone much faster than resorting back to scramble/stretch pass mode.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
And Sid going after a guy who laid a good hit.
Firstly, you don't have to be the guy to do it and secondly, they were down 2 with 2 minutes and some change left.
Just another dumb penalty that were used to seeing.

The game overall didn't really start to go south until Vitale's penalty to bring about the 5on3 which the Panthers scored on then added one on the 5on4 afterwards.

They started to scramble after that and forgot the systems. Trying stretch passes, forcing plays up the boards and getting caught in our zone alot. Should be a good learning tool at the very least that continuing to play your systems will get you to the O-Zone much faster than resorting back to scramble/stretch pass mode.

Respectfully, they were sloppy from the word go. Even Geno said in his interview after the first that they needed to tighten up in the neutral zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad