POST GAME TALK: Bolts 4, Walking Wounded 3

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
It's so nice to have coaching staff that actually respects players for sticking up for another. I'm baffled by where Bylsma picked up his mentality, he didn't start out that way.

Remember this series?

flyers-penguins.jpg

I am guessing that Disco overcompensated in reaction is why.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
jr needs to go to work. something, anything, we're drowning out here. can't come out of the break with this roster

Seriously. There's only so much coach Johnston can do with the current roster, especially with all the injuries. My bigger fear is the longer this goes on without an upgrade, the more worn down Sid and Geno will be by playoff time. Having to carry the offense the entire season will drain them for the important time of the year. Get them some help and maybe they'll be able to be 100% in the spring.

----

Overall, I just want this team to get healthy. It's absolutely ridiculous the number of injuries this team has every season. Just get healthy -- and JR get on the phone. Those are my two Christmas wishes.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
It seems like you guys really want a guy that can finish to play beside Sid. I get that - he could really use a sniper on his line.

Fine - twisted my arm. I'll trade you Stamkos for Malkin, straight up. You're welcome.

Edit: Seriously though - Malkin is such a beast. When he was walking through our defense I was resigned to another ridiculous Malkin highlight reel goal to be scored against us.

sf expat71

Nov 10, 2008
Atlantic Ocean
Well, after all this time, all it took was getting rid of our previous head coach and facing some serious adversity to finally see what it means to "get to our game"... This team is so much hungrier than the previous few iterations we've had, this group even has the feel of one of those lower seeds that pull off upsets against the favorites. I know they will be favorites for two rounds, but how many of us were almost pulling for CBJ last year because of how they played versus our entitled bunch. Man, I didn't even realize how much the last few years made rooting for my team a burden until this year's version started coming together...

sf expat71

Nov 10, 2008
Atlantic Ocean
It seems like you guys really want a guy that can finish to play beside Sid. I get that - he could really use a sniper on his line.

Fine - twisted my arm. I'll trade you Stamkos for Malkin, straight up. You're welcome.

Edit: Seriously though - Malkin is such a beast. When he was walking through our defense I was resigned to another ridiculous Malkin highlight reel goal to be scored against us.

Ha ha, we'll give you Adams and a third. Yeah, we like Geno, just about as much as you like Stammer.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I'd just like to point out that the consensus best coach in the world that was on everyone's wish list this summer doesn't like his players responding to cheap shots either.

Alright, I'll let myself out.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
I don't even think Sid has been shooting poorly. There have been 4 or 5 over the course of the last few games which were well placed shots that got stopped. Eventually he will get some better luck and the way he is shooting and creating chances he will start to score in bunches.

I've really liked 87 and 71's games over the last 5 games. They are playing determined and have cut down on the boneheaded passes.

Edit: Tumty- Have you been watching the games? It is a testament to Sid's talent that you call him a baby and declare that he will never win a trophy again because he is having a slump and has fallen to 9th in the league in scoring even with missing 2 games. He has been playing very well as of late and the opportunities just aren't working out, it happens. You will feel silly very soon when Sid starts to inevitably climb back up the leaderboard.

Last edited:

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
I don't even think Sid has been shooting poorly. There have been 4 or 5 over the course of the last few games which were well placed shots that got stopped. Eventually he will get some better luck and the way he is shooting and creating chances he will start to score in bunches.

I've really liked 87 and 71's games over the last 5 games. They are playing determined and have cut down on the boneheaded passes.

Edit: Tumty- Have you been watching the games? It is a testament to Sid's talent that you call him a baby and declare that he will never win a trophy again because he is having a slump and has fallen to 9th in the league in scoring even with missing 2 games. He has been playing very well as of late and the opportunities just aren't working out, it happens. You will feel silly very soon when Sid starts to inevitably climb back up the leaderboard.

With posts like the one by Tumty it always helps checking the posting history - makes it easier to see which ones to take seriously, and which can be ignored.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I have been a Scott Harrington fan since his junior days (captain Canada baby!) and always thought he would be our next good/great defensive d-man. Let us say that I am VERY VERY VERY happy with the way he has been playing so far. Honestly, out of all the young Ds, he is the one who has earned a permanent spot. Dumoulin is ok, but not on Harrington's level and Pouliot, while more talented and better offensively, still has a lot to learn at the AHL level.

The day Harrington gets a permanent spot is the day I buy a #6 jersey. I love this kid. Cool, calm, collected. THe perfect security blanket for Tanger.

Tanger, Maatta, Harrington, Desprès, Pouliot. That, my friends, is the make up of the future best D in the league - honestly, I would totally let Martin and Erhoff walk at the end of the year, we have to win with these kids while they are "cost-controlled". Too bad we won't be able to keep all of them down the line.

Last edited:

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
I have been a Scott Harrington fan since his junior days (captain Canada baby!) and always thought he would be our next good/great defensive d-man. Let us say that I am VERY VERY VERY happy with the way he has been playing so far. Honestly, out of all the young Ds, he is the one who has earned a permanent spot. Dumoulin is ok, but not on Harrington's level and Pouliot, while more talented and better offensively, still has a lot to learn at the AHL level.

The day Harrington gets a permanent spot is the day I bought a #6 jersey. I love this kid. Cool, calm, collected. THe perfect security blanket for Tanger.

Tanger, Maatta, Harrington, Desprès, Pouliot. That, my friends, is the make up of the future best D in the league - honestly, I would totally let Martin and Erhoff walk at the end of the year, we have to win with these kids while they are "cost-controlled". Too bad we won't be able to keep all of them down the line.

Agreed Harrington has impressed the H*ll out of me. Pouliot has shown flashes of his talent but has work to do. Doumolin, eh.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
This team, unlike previous iterations, doesn't make me want to completely quit watching hockey altogether when they lose. So that's at least something. Looking down the roster right this second, you have to at least be a little satisfied with how they've handled the last handful of games, even if the results haven't been there.

gopens66

Hop in the Cordoba, Baby, we're goin' bowlin!
May 25, 2006
Altoona,Pa

The day Harrington gets a permanent spot is the day I bought a #6 jersey. I love this kid. Cool, calm, collected. THe perfect security blanket for Tanger.

I'm loving what I've seen from Harrington! I also agree that Pouliot needs to round out his game in the "A". I was in the camp of, "If Pouliot or some other good D prospect can bring "The Winger" then trade 'em" camp. However, I firmly believe that our defense going forward NEEDS to be Letang, Maata, Despres, Harrington, Pouliot. Martin has value. Package him, cut some other dead cap space already and start dealing.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
If any one read Rossi's column about DP and some of MJ's comments, how can any one justify giving scuds one minute of playing time. If Scuds was just an average shut down D, then yes you could play him. But he has fallen so far off the charts, he is slow as molasses and has -0- offensive skills. Everyone is crying for wingers, which you are not going to get. To improve the pens scoring ability, sit Scuds and play in his place any one of Martin, Erhoff, Letang, Maata, Despres, Borts, Maata, Harry, Dumo, DP or even Chorney. All are better skaters then #4, and have more offensive capability, and are at least as good defensively. But the scud has played in every game and is one of reasons the pens only got one point out of the FLA. trip. You have at least 11 D, that are better than him. Why the pens continue to not dress their best D at all times is beyond logic. If they use Scuds in the playoffs, the pens will go out in the first round and it doesn't make any difference who they play.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

The day Harrington gets a permanent spot is the day I buy a #6 jersey. I love this kid. Cool, calm, collected. THe perfect security blanket for Tanger.

Yup.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
DP is a stud. He brings an element to the game that OLi, and Harrington only wish they had. Oli hopefully has to get back to health but Harrngton over time can become a solid d man, but DP brings you out of your seat. It is to early to make any defining statement except DP is a true QB of the PP and his vision is unreal.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
If any one read Rossi's column about DP and some of MJ's comments, how can any one justify giving scuds one minute of playing time. If Scuds was just an average shut down D, then yes you could play him. But he has fallen so far off the charts, he is slow as molasses and has -0- offensive skills. Everyone is crying for wingers, which you are not going to get. To improve the pens scoring ability, sit Scuds and play in his place any one of Martin, Erhoff, Letang, Maata, Despres, Borts, Maata, Harry, Dumo, DP or even Chorney. All are better skaters then #4, and have more offensive capability, and are at least as good defensively. But the scud has played in every game and is one of reasons the pens only got one point out of the FLA. trip. You have at least 11 D, that are better than him. Why the pens continue to not dress their best D at all times is beyond logic. If they use Scuds in the playoffs, the pens will go out in the first round and it doesn't make any difference who they play.

It's justified until at least 2 of our 4 injured defensemen are back. Nobody wants to see Chorney take a shift on the blueline.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Let's hope it's not just because they don't want to pay those guys an NHL paycheque over the holidays.

Emergency Recall

Players on loan to an affiliated league may be recalled without waivers under emergency conditions, established when injury, illness or suspensions result in the availability of fewer than two goalkeepers, six defensemen and twelve forwards. Players recalled under emergency conditions must be returned as soon as the emergency is over.

Essentially, because Pittsburgh has a few days off and there is a roster freeze, they are not allowed to have those guys up according to the CBA. They have to have an established need for the players.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
DP is a stud. He brings an element to the game that OLi, and Harrington only wish they had. Oli hopefully has to get back to health but Harrngton over time can become a solid d man, but DP brings you out of your seat. It is to early to make any defining statement except DP is a true QB of the PP and his vision is unreal.

While all of this is true, the ability to "bring you out of your seat" doesn't win you Stanley Cups. Harrington might never be more than a solid #3 that will be able to play with and cover for the Pouliot and Letang of the world, but, at this point, he is more NHL ready than Pouliot. Don't get me wrong, DP's ceiling is much higher. What Harrington and Maatta currently have that DP has not (defensive awarness, great positionning, "understanding" of the game) is needed in order to win at this level. We want DP to be Keith/Weber (different styles, but you get my point), not Green.

The good thing is that these things can be thought. DP will learn and he will be a stud for a very long time, we just have to be patient. With DP, the time isn't now, he needs a little bit more seasoning. Sure, he doesn't look out of place, but if we want him to be as "complete" as he can be, he needs more time in the AHL. Not a whole lot, the rest of the year might do, but he does need time. He has all the tools, he just need a solid toolbox. Give him the time to build it.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
it's so much easer to learn when you get to see what works instead of being told. playing in the nhl is only going to help down the road. imo

Nei1ey*

I'd just like to point out that the consensus best coach in the world that was on everyone's wish list this summer doesn't like his players responding to cheap shots either.

Alright, I'll let myself out.

Ya but he compensates it by being infinitely smarter in game planning than Bylstard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad