News Article: Post- game interview with Evgeni Medvedev

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
869485.jpg

This interview was taken after the "Blues" game on 12/21/15.

The link: http://spb.sovsport.ru/gazeta/article-item/869485

My translation:

Post- game interview with Evgeni Medvedev
By Nataliya Bragilevskaya for Sovsport.ru

NB: Flyers were losing 0:3. How did you manage to pull this win?

EM: We were losing last game 0:2 too, but managed to get even up and lost by penalty shots, That speaks to the character of this team. We have a back bone, and I expect only better things moving forward. We have to start playing better from the beginning of the game. It’s difficult to salvage every game like this. We waste too much energy doing that.

NB: You were very emotional after you scored a winning goal.

EM: It has accumulated. I had made plenty of mistakes before, it’s time to improve. I can’t say that I have completely acclimated to the pace of the game yet. But I am trying to improve with every game. As for emotions, it did feel great! I am very happy that the team won, I am thankful to my partners for affording me such a chance. And please understand- that was my first game winning goal in the NHL. I am very happy that we overcame 0:3 score.

NB: What mistakes are you talking about?

EM: I had had them before this game.

NB: You joined the attack because you saw an opening in “Blues” defense, didn’t you?

EM: They gave me the opportunity. I had open space, open ice. I acted according to the situation. I was waiting for the pass from White, saw that the goalie moved forward and elevated the puck.

NB: You did not have a good beginning of the season. You had missed a few games being a healthy scratch. Do you feel that you have already adapted to the North American hockey?

EM: Yes, I can confidently say that I have completely acclimated to the game. The coaches help me with agility training. I manage.

NB: Was it difficult psychologically to be in a press box?

EM: It was a good experience for me. I studied the game from above. I studied video, evaluated my mistakes and shortcomings. I also evaluated my strengths and what I needed to capitalize on. I do not regret anything. It’s even better that it has happened that way. I have benefited from that.

NB: Did your previous experience playing with Tarasenko help you in this game?

EM: We only played together on the national team. I know well his qualities. I tried to play very meticulously against him. He has a very good shot. It’s very quick and sudden. I did my best to minimize a number of these shots.

NB: This is you first NHL season. Is it difficult to play against completely unfamiliar team?

EM: We have meetings before each and every game. We watch a video. The coaches explain plan of the game to us, tell us strength of the opposition players. I pay attention and try to be focused playing against these players.

NB: 3 day Christmas brake is coming.

EM: It’s good for me. I will have some time to rest, to spend with my family at home. I am confused- it’s Christmas time, but it’s 20 degrees outside (70 F). I have not ever celebrated Christmas in t-shirt.

EM: What are your Christmas wishes for yourself?

EM: Patience and luck.

Last edited:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Thank you for the translation.

He seems like such a humble guy who is thankful for the chance to play. He also understands his shortcomings instead of ignoring them or thinking he is better than he is.

Great pickup. Now let's see if Hextall re-signs him.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Haha, the guy must wonder if all our Christmases are tropical.

Guy has been much improved since he was benched. The most aggravating thing for me was his passing. It was just off target, leading guys too much. It looked like he still thought guys had more space and were further away. That has really tightened up.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think he's a very good bet to be extended:
1) it's obvious now that he's getting acclimated that he's a very talente D-man with size, speed and a good shot - good fit for Hakstol's system
2) it sends a message to future KHL potential signings
3) he's perfect to mentor Provorov when he comes up

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
I think he's a very good bet to be extended:
1) it's obvious now that he's getting acclimated that he's a very talente D-man with size, speed and a good shot - good fit for Hakstol's system
2) it sends a message to future KHL potential signings
3) he's perfect to mentor Provorov when he comes up

We will have very little cap space next year unless Streit or someone else is shipped out.

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
We will have very little cap space next year unless Streit or someone else is shipped out.

I'd be shocked if we still have Luke Schenn and Streit on this team next year. Umberger may very well be bought out as well and Read could be on the block with Voracek being moved to Cout's wing and some of the young guys playing well.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
I'd be shocked if we still have Luke Schenn and Streit on this team next year. Umberger may very well be bought out as well and Read could be on the block with Voracek being moved to Cout's wing and some of the young guys playing well.

Striet should be moveable to a team with lots of cap and in need on veteran leadership. Two teams that come to mind (unsure of cap) is Flordia and Dallas. I still think if they can get anything at all for Schultz they will move him asap.

I agree with moving Read but it might be harder then one might think. He is overpaid at this point. I still agree with the contract he was given as it was a gamble that just didn't work out. His role right now should be given to rookies trying to get their feet wet at a fraction of the cost. Konecny, NAK, Liere, Cousins, Lindbolm are the largest amount of quality and quality we have had since the first lock out

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Id be surprised if Meds isnt extended the second we trade a defensemen.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
i think re-signing him has to be in Hextall's plan..guy can play and he will play for someone in this league if not us...as stated..good mentor for Provo and he is getting better

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
He has been up and down through this adjustment period, guilty of a couple of brain farts, prone to dangerous giveaways in front of his own net but he was supposed to replace Coburn who himself was pretty inconsistent. At least he can contribute in both zones. All in all I see a lot more sunshine than rain.

The question will be whether he is willing to stay here short term without much of a raise and if the Flyers can afford him, because as good as he has been, he is not part of their long term planning.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
Love this guy, had wanted him for years. Kinda sucks he's a tad older but I would love to have him for a couple more seasons. Love his personality and approach to the game

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad