• Canada in 7

• World in 4

• World in 5

• World in 6

• World in 7

Results are only viewable after voting.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
The World will close this gap sooner than later with players like Eichel, Draisatl, Dahlin, Kucherov eventually getting into the mix but...

post-expansion Canada could still ice

Hull - Mikita - Howe
Kariya - Lindros - Iginla
Robitaille - Perrault - Bergeron
Sittler - Thornton - St. Louis
Shutt, Toews, Lecavalier, etc.

Keith - Stevens
Niedermeyer - MacInnis
Weber - Doughty

Reactions: Dominance

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
The difference is essentially Forsberg being on The World's 2nd line and Lindros not even making Canada - in your line-ups. Forsberg was great but Lindros's peak was better.
Then no Bobby Hull or Gordie how whom were still amazing players post expansion. As well as Stan Mikita - whom you could argue either team.
Canada's defence simply tilts the ice way too much also. That's insane. That's the best by a million miles and then the next two by a fair amount in Bourque and Potvin and then the other four are comparable with The World's best. And that's without Stevens and Keith.
Prefer The World's goaltending but only one of them gets to play.
Tough not to see Kent Nilsson, Larionov, Makarov, Kurri, Kovalev on The World team. Langway definitely makes The World team. Kent Nilsson's peak was incredibly good and deserves a mention. Take him all day every day over Sundin. Probably over half that forward line-up. Glad you have Peter Statsny in there. He's the other forgotten superstar along with Nilsson.
I guess I shouldve specified, its players who started their career post-expansion, so 1967 and after.

Lindros had a similar peak to Forsberg, I agree, but still has triple the playoff points (171 vs 57, similar PPG).

I went more with the "greatest" players (career, etc), as opposed to best peaks, I guess.

Kent Nilsson was a great player, no doubt, put up quality numbers in the NHL even for the high scoring 80s. Was he greater than a Sundin or Modano? I dunno. Its a debate.

As I mentioned in my last post, as much as Makarov was by far the greatest Russian in the 80s, would he have been, say, a top 10 player in the NHL in the 80s? He did well in Calgary at age 31 but was by no means a top forward in the league.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I guess I shouldve specified, its players who started their career post-expansion, so 1967 and after.

Orr and Esposito started their careers before expansion. Esposito isn't really relevant here but removing Orr helps the world team.

Reactions: amnesiac

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
World?

Jagr, Ovechkin, Fedorov, Bure, Hull, Modano, Selanne, Kurri, Datsyuk, Larionov, Stastny, Malkin

Lidstrom Chelios
Langway Howe
Leetch Chara

Hasek
Lundqvist

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005

Lindros had a similar peak to Forsberg, I agree, but still has triple the playoff points (171 vs 57, similar PPG).

I went more with the "greatest" players (career, etc), as opposed to best peaks, I guess.

Kent Nilsson was a great player, no doubt, put up quality numbers in the NHL even for the high scoring 80s. Was he greater than a Sundin or Modano? I dunno. Its a debate.

As I mentioned in my last post, as much as Makarov was by far the greatest Russian in the 80s, would he have been, say, a top 10 player in the NHL in the 80s? He did well in Calgary at age 31 but was by no means a top forward in the league.

It's super tough. I think you did an excellent job. Just so much talent to pick from. - and ya, peak to career/greatness is tough.

Before Mario, Kent Nilsson was probably the only player that could have challenged Gretzky - if he only cared. His career was marred by not really trying - But he was a helluva player when he was on his game. One of the most talented players I've ever seen. At their best, I have him there with Geno and Forsberg. Kent Nilsson never racked up points because it was the 80s, he racked up points because he'd show up every 2nd or 3rd game for a period or two, get a couple goals, a few assists, dominate, and win the game ... before going back to 'sleepy mode'. Leave him off because of that, I get it... but he's one of the most talented players to ever lace them up in the NHL. - like a cross between Kovalev and Perrault.
I'm not Swedish. Nor a Flames fan. He was just something special those nights when you saw him show up.

Reactions: amnesiac

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Still Canada. Not only do they have 99 and 66, but it’s much easier to imagine some of those lines having chemistry.

Echoing above, would be interesting to do a “players who started their careers after the Berlin Wall fell”.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Still Canada. Not only do they have 99 and 66, but it’s much easier to imagine some of those lines having chemistry.

Echoing above, would be interesting to do a “players who started their careers after the Berlin Wall fell”.
God.... ok. 1989 and after:

MSL-Crosby-Lindros
Kariya-McDavid-Iginla
Recchi-Thornton-Stamkos
Bergeron-Getzlaf-Toews
Tavares/Giroux

Nieds-Pronger
Blake-Doughty
Keith-Weber
Burns

Brodeur-Belfour-Luongo

VS

Ovie-Malkin-Jagr
Selanne-Forsberg-Bure
Kovalchuk-Fedorov-Kane
Modano-Datsyuk-Sundin
Backstrom/Mogilny

Chara-Lidstrom
Zubov-Karlsson
Gonchar-Hedman
Markov

Lundqvist-Kiprusoff-Rinne

Ill give the edge to World offensively, but Canada's D is more solid.... World would need a guys like: Kimmo TImonen, Vlad Konstantinov, Derian Hatcher, or Ryan Suter.

Last edited:

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
removing 99, 66, and 4

Bossy-Crosby-Lafleur
Esposito-Clarke-Messier
Trottier-Yzerman-Sakic
McDavid-Lindros-Dionne
Thornton/Francis

Bourque-Potvin
Coffey-Robinson
Pronger-Park
MacInnis

Roy-Brodeur-Dryden

Canada's forwads are still almost all centers. Crazy.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

I'm probably not the best advocate for him - but since no one else has responded yet - I think Makarov would not only be a top 10 player in the NHL in the 80s, he'd be a very likely #3 behind Gretzky and eventually Mario.

Not sure what he did at age 31 coming to play in NA for the first time is necessarily representative of how good a player he was. I wouldn't put him above guys like Ovi or Jagr or such on the first line - but he definitely belongs before you get anywhere close to Sundin/Modano level, and probably before anyone on the second or third line in the OP too.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

MSL-Crosby-Lindros
Kariya-McDavid-Iginla
Recchi-Thornton-Stamkos
Bergeron-Getzlaf-Toews
Tavares/Giroux

Nieds-Pronger
Blake-Doughty
Keith-Weber
Burns

Brodeur-Belfour-Luongo

VS

Ovie-Malkin-Jagr
Selanne-Forsberg-Bure
Kovalchuk-Fedorov-Kane
Modano-Datsyuk-Sundin
Backstrom/Mogilny

Chara-Lidstrom
Zubov-Karlsson
Gonchar-Hedman
Markov

Hasek-Lundqvist-Kiprusoff

Ill give the edge to World offensively, but Canada's D is more solid.... World would need a guys like: Kimmo TImonen, Vlad Konstantinov, Derian Hatcher, or Ryan Suter.

This is close. This is by far the best matchup so far here. Can see arguments for either/or.

Ill still pick Canada to win. A lot of that is due to their actual track record of winning, especially this past decade. The Crosby/Toews/Weber era etc - I think being good on paper is great, but coming through in the big moments is also important and i like their track record there. Talent-wise it's close both ways.

I'd personally definitely find room for Carey Price in net for Canada. I don't know if he's having a better career than Belfour or Luongo (I think he might be tbh - but, probably not a popular opinion) - but I do think he's probably the best goalie of all-time for Canada on the international stage, so in that regards he'd be a good fit. Not sure if that's your criteria though, or if you're just picking based on best career, in which case maybe not.

Also sticking to goalies - seems a bit timely to include Hasek but not Roy, even though they started their careers at the same time, it's just that Hasek didn't come to NA in the NHL later-on. I'm nitpicking though.

Should Kucherov be there for team world? Above Mogilny/Backstrom? He won all the awards last year.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
I'm probably not the best advocate for him - but since no one else has responded yet - I think Makarov would not only be a top 10 player in the NHL in the 80s, he'd be a very likely #3 behind Gretzky and eventually Mario.

Not sure what he did at age 31 coming to play in NA for the first time is necessarily representative of how good a player he was. I wouldn't put him above guys like Ovi or Jagr or such on the first line - but he definitely belongs before you get anywhere close to Sundin/Modano level, and probably before anyone on the second or third line in the OP too.
I mean, I know the Soviet teams were a force int he 70 and 80s, definitely some great players on those teams. I jsut feel Makarov shouldve been scoring 110+ points in Calgary if he were that dominant of a player. Yes he was past his peak, but he was 31-35 years old from 1989-1993, very high scoring era, and was "only" putting up a PPG (only 57P in 92-93). I understand its tough to change leagues and adapt after 10 years or so, and had he started his career in the NHL, I think he definitely puts up 100+ in the 80s almost every year.

I dunno, to say he wouldve been 3rd best I think is a little over the top, but top 10 is definitely possible. I guess he deserves a spot if Kharlamov is there.

This is close. This is by far the best matchup so far here. Can see arguments for either/or.

Ill still pick Canada to win. A lot of that is due to their actual track record of winning, especially this past decade. The Crosby/Toews/Weber era etc - I think being good on paper is great, but coming through in the big moments is also important and i like their track record there. Talent-wise it's close both ways.

I'd personally definitely find room for Carey Price in net for Canada. I don't know if he's having a better career than Belfour or Luongo (I think he might be tbh - but, probably not a popular opinion) - but I do think he's probably the best goalie of all-time for Canada on the international stage, so in that regards he'd be a good fit. Not sure if that's your criteria though, or if you're just picking based on best career, in which case maybe not.

Also sticking to goalies - seems a bit timely to include Hasek but not Roy, even though they started their careers at the same time, it's just that Hasek didn't come to NA in the NHL later-on. I'm nitpicking though.

Should Kucherov be there for team world? Above Mogilny/Backstrom? He won all the awards last year.

yeah, Im going more with career in general.... Price, as much as hes proven himself in international play, I think hes always been relatively overrated (and Im from Montreal). His Vezina finshes are: 1,3,4,5,7,9,10.... He'll have a great career relatively speaking, but no way will he surpass Belfour (1,1,2,3,4,4,4,7,7,7), but maybe Lu (2,3,3,4,4,7,7) if the Habs turn it around soon.

Hasek, yeah I guess I shouldve left him out.... Kucherov, sure, was just going with career as mentioned.

Reactions: bobholly39

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
It's super tough. I think you did an excellent job. Just so much talent to pick from. - and ya, peak to career/greatness is tough.

Before Mario, Kent Nilsson was probably the only player that could have challenged Gretzky - if he only cared. His career was marred by not really trying - But he was a helluva player when he was on his game. One of the most talented players I've ever seen. At their best, I have him there with Geno and Forsberg. Kent Nilsson never racked up points because it was the 80s, he racked up points because he'd show up every 2nd or 3rd game for a period or two, get a couple goals, a few assists, dominate, and win the game ... before going back to 'sleepy mode'. Leave him off because of that, I get it... but he's one of the most talented players to ever lace them up in the NHL. - like a cross between Kovalev and Perrault.
I'm not Swedish. Nor a Flames fan. He was just something special those nights when you saw him show up.
interesting, wasnt aware of Nilsson's "laziness". Go figure!

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
interesting, wasnt aware of Nilsson's "laziness". Go figure!

He's infamous for it. And admitted it. He's like the poster-child for a Don Cherry rant about Europeans or something. Not exaggerating when I say he's right up there, talent-wise, with anyone. A few years back they did a list of most talented players and I think he came in 5th behind Orr, Wayne, Mario and someone else (Kovalev?)- ahead of guys like Jagr and Sid and Lafleur and Perrault and Bure. He was the original 'Magic Man' and when he was engaged he just dominated games and in the late 70s (WHA) and early 80s (Flames) he was something else when he cared. He just didn't very often. It's why he gets forgotten but he was one the best players I've ever seen.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019

MSL-Crosby-Lindros
Kariya-McDavid-Iginla
Recchi-Thornton-Stamkos
Bergeron-Getzlaf-Toews
Tavares/Giroux

Nieds-Pronger
Blake-Doughty
Keith-Weber
Burns

Brodeur-Belfour-Luongo

VS

Ovie-Malkin-Jagr
Selanne-Forsberg-Bure
Kovalchuk-Fedorov-Kane
Modano-Datsyuk-Sundin
Backstrom/Mogilny

Chara-Lidstrom
Zubov-Karlsson
Gonchar-Hedman
Markov

Lundqvist-Kiprusoff-Rinne

The OP is very clearly Canada.

However, this post Berlin-wall list is a lot more interesting. I still go Canada, but that World team is much better balanced than I expect. Chara, Lidstrom, Hedman, Federov, Datsyuk, Sundin, Forsberg...all great defensively. Then the first line has obvious absurd scoring potential.

Man...maybe the World team would win this one actually.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019

I love how Nilsson had 131 points in 80-81 and came 8th in Hart voting. What an era.

Mike Luit came 2nd in Hart voting, with a sparkling .894 sv% and 3.35 GAA.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Hasek will steal a game or two. Canada is better top to bottom though, and a coin flip in goal.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
I love how Nilsson had 131 points in 80-81 and came 8th in Hart voting. What an era.

Mike Luit came 2nd in Hart voting, with a sparkling .894 sv% and 3.35 GAA.
I think if we all started watching 80s hockey (regularly) we'd hate it.

So many soft goals. We'd be yelling at our TVs more than ever.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
The OP criteria is overwhelmingly tilted in Canada's favour. It's not even fair.

Sandpaper/toughness/size: Canada
Top tier skill/finesse: Canada
HOF/Stat accumulate: Canada
Game breaker/push forward styles: Canada

Canada doesn't even have to compete in many categories and could win alone by grinding down the other team.

What might be more interesting to see though is if the teams were designed in a manner to help level the playing field based on the following styles:

1. Speed/skill
2. Finesse/skill
3. Pure toughness/agitation/grind out game
4. No extreme outliers like Lemieux and Gretzky.
5. Super tall team (6'1 plus)
6. Super short team (5'11 or less)

For #3, I'd love to see what a Canada vs World all time dirt bag team might look like.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad