• World in 5

• World in 6

• World in 7

Results are only viewable after voting.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
for fun.... Players who started their career post-expansion, so 1967 and after (so no Orr). All players in their prime.

who wins a 7 game series? I know Canada will win the poll, but in how many games?

And what is the BEST LINE? feel free to change whoever.... write your answer

Crosby-Gretzky-Lafleur
Messier-Lemieux-Bossy
Yzerman-Sakic-Trottier
McDavid-Clarke-Dionne
Lindros/Thornton

Bourque-Coffey
Potvin-Robinson
Pronger-Park
MacInnis

Roy-Brodeur-Dryden

VS

Ovie-Malkin-Jagr
Selanne-Forsberg-Hull
Makarov-Fedorov-Bure
Kane-Stastny-Kurri
Datsyuk/Kharlamov

Chelios-Lidstrom
Fetisov-Leetch
Chara-Salming
Langway

Hasek-Tretiak-Lundqvist​

Last edited:

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
It's still clearly Canada. I think to level the playing field to be fair it would be 90s-present. The only World guys that are pre-90s primarily are Kharlamov, Stastny, Fetisov (albeit not in the NHL) and Salming.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Voted Canada in 5.

Team world is too talented not to win a game or so - but overall team Canada is insane.

Also - Jagr is clearly a name that was forgotten, and should be added. Not sure it makes a difference though

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
It's still clearly Canada. I think to level the playing field to be fair it would be 90s-present. The only World guys that are pre-90s primarily are Kharlamov, Stastny, Fetisov (albeit not in the NHL) and Salming.
I forgot Tretiak

Also - Jagr is clearly a name that was forgotten, and should be added. Not sure it makes a difference though

yes fixed

one thing I like about team World is they have 2 elite defensive centres in Feds and Datsyuk, Forsberg aint too shabby either.

On D: Chelios, Fetisov, Chara are great physically and defensively.

but as you say, still Canada, but wouldnt be that easy.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Best line??

Crosby-Gretzky-Lemieux would be the top 3 players, but 3 playmakers, I dunno?

Ovie-Forsberg-Jagr for World.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
Bobby Hull needs to be on their to play against his son and Gordie Howe definitely needs to be on their. Your list should have more subs listed. Canada wins in 5.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I forgot Tretiak

yes fixed

one thing I like about team World is they have 2 elite defensive centres in Feds and Datsyuk, Forsberg aint too shabby either.

On D: Chelios, Fetisov, Chara are great physically and defensively.

but as you say, still Canada, but wouldnt be that easy.

You have Gretzky and Lemieux play against Forsberg and Malkin head to head for an 82 game season with those teams - and both Lemieux and Gretzky likely outscore the other two by over 100 points by season's end. Also - both Gretzky and Lemieux are easily the better playoff performers - both for peak, and all-time, vs the other two.

But - that's the thing with such polls. Give it 82 games and it's a landslide. Give it 7 games? Probably enough for the better talent in Can to also shine through, and win easily.

For a single game? Maybe 2? No reason Malkin or Forsberg couldn't dominate way more than Gretzky or Lemieux or both - and have 4-5 points and win the game for their team. Those guys are world class talents, and any of them could truly shine. And I used Malkin/Forsberg since you had them at 2C, but i could have made the same argument using Ovechkin, Hasek or any other number of players too.

So Canada has a big edge in overall talent - and even in ability to pull through in big games (so much clutch in there) - but it doesn't mean the other team wouldn't win a game or two. And maybe - just maybe - they get lucky/play good enough to win series.

Reactions: amnesiac

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Gretzky and Lemieux are both outliers that tilt the scale heavily on their own, let alone both together. Would be a more interesting poll with them removed. As is, Canada in 5.
removing 99, 66, and 4

Bossy-Crosby-Lafleur
Esposito-Clarke-Messier
Trottier-Yzerman-Sakic
McDavid-Lindros-Dionne
Thornton/Francis

Bourque-Potvin
Coffey-Robinson
Pronger-Park
MacInnis

Roy-Brodeur-Dryden

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
removing 99, 66, and 4

Bossy-Crosby-Lafleur
Esposito-Clarke-Messier
Trottier-Yzerman-Sakic
McDavid-Lindros-Dionne
Thornton/Francis

Bourque-Potvin
Coffey-Robinson
Pronger-Park
MacInnis

Roy-Brodeur-Dryden

This is much, much closer. Crazy how much of a differentiator Orr, Gretzky and Lemieux are. I still give the edge to Canada - but I think Team World has a realistic shot here.

I also think you probably should move McDavid up in the lineup, top 2 line. In terms of offensive talent he's at worst second on the team behind Crosby. I suppose Lafleur too is up there for peak

Reactions: wintersej

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
This is much, much closer. Crazy how much of a differentiator Orr, Gretzky and Lemieux are. I still give the edge to Canada - but I think Team World has a realistic shot here.

I also think you probably should move McDavid up in the lineup, top 2 line. In terms of offensive talent he's at worst second on the team behind Crosby. I suppose Lafleur too is up there for peak
yeah, to me McDavid will/should be on the top line. His speed alone would dominate the series... but this is a fantasy lineup amongst different eras. Cant compare.... I just put the lines together based on "greatness" if you will.

ah, but imagine Lindros centering McDavid on the wing. Beauty.

Did you notice though how Canada lacks "great" wingers post-expansion? all centres except for Lafleur and Bossy! next would be something like Iginla, MSL, Kariya....

Last edited:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
for fun.... all players in their prime.

who wins a 7 game series? I know Canada will win the poll, but in how many games?

Crosby-Gretzky-Lafleur
Esposito-Lemieux-Bossy I would take out Espsosito and put in a guy like Toews or Bergeron
Yzerman-Messier-Sakic
McDavid-Clarke-Trottier
Dionne

Bourque-Orr
Potvin-Coffey Coffey is out they have enough offense put in Doughty, Keith lots of options here
Robinson-Park
Pronger

Roy-Brodeur-Dryden

VS

Ovie-Malkin-Jagr
Selanne-Forsberg-Kharlamov
Hull-Fedorov-Bure
Stastny-Datsyuk-Kane Take out Brett Hull, Stastny and Sundin put in the KLM line
Sundin

Chelios-Lidstrom
Fetisov-Leetch
Chara-Salming
Zubov I think there is room for Kastatonov here to play in the 5 man unit with Fetisov but it's not absolutely necessary I guess

Hasek-Tretiak-Lundqvist​

Ill take out and add in bold for each team.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

Esposito 100% and absolutely belongs, and to suggest otherwise is ridiculous. Even if you give 100% credit for his career to Orr exclusively (which would be a horrendous take) - he still belongs, because he's proven how much he can score when he plays with such high end talent.

Toews or Bergeron are great players and i'm sure they could come in and compete well on such a team - but that'd be like saying "take out Crosby from team Canada and put in Danault". I'm sure Danault is a great 2-way guy who would compete and play well - but why in the world lose out on the offensive upside? Also - team Canada already has Clarke to play a shutdown role, having Bergeron or Toews is redundant.

Coffey is also one of the most important players here. His speed could be a huge factor here in such an all-star setting, and something that sets him apart from many others.

I don't mind the idea of putting the KLM line - but I wouldn't remove Hull. He scored 86 goals at his peak. Assuming we are getting players at or near their peak - Hull is also one of the last players you remove from team world imo.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
yeah, probably at least Makarov, I guess, but Im not considering chemistry here as the KLM line had. Larionov was a fine player in DET, but he wasnt elite like Sundin or Stastny, so I dont consider him that much. Krutov gave it shot in 89-90 and didnt do much with VAN (I know both were 30 when they started in the NHL).

Makarov I just dont know if he was acutally a greater player than say Sundin or Modano. He was the greatest in Russia int he 80s, but didnt dominate in the NHL nearly as much at age 30. Even if he came in his early 20s I doubt he'd be a top 20 scorer in the NHL. Thats just what I think..... Same could be said for Kharlamov, but we'll just never know.

as for Coffey, again Im not going with chemistry. Just putting in the greatest.... that said, I would have Stevens over Doughty and Keith fairly easily.

Last edited:

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
for fun.... all players in their prime.

Crosby-Gretzky-Lafleur
Esposito-Lemieux-Bossy
Yzerman-Messier-Sakic
McDavid-Clarke-Trottier
Dionne

Bourque-Orr
Potvin-Coffey
Robinson-Park
Pronger

Roy-Brodeur-Dryden

VS

Ovie-Malkin-Jagr
Selanne-Forsberg-Kharlamov
Hull-Fedorov-Bure
Stastny-Datsyuk-Kane
Sundin

Chelios-Lidstrom
Fetisov-Leetch
Chara-Salming
Zubov

Hasek-Tretiak-Lundqvist​

The difference is essentially Forsberg being on The World's 2nd line and Lindros not even making Canada - in your line-ups. Forsberg was great but Lindros's peak was better.
Or how Salming makes the world team but Sittler isn't close.
Then no Bobby Hull or Gordie how whom were still amazing players post expansion. As well as Stan Mikita - whom you could argue either team.
Canada's defence simply tilts the ice way too much also. That's insane. That's the best by a million miles and then the next two by a fair amount in Bourque and Potvin and then the other four are comparable with The World's best. And that's without Stevens and Keith.
Prefer The World's goaltending but only one of them gets to play.
Tough not to see Kent Nilsson, Larionov, Makarov, Kurri, Kovalev, Tim Thomas on The World team. Langway definitely makes The World team. Kent Nilsson's peak was incredibly good and deserves a mention. Take him all day every day over Sundin. Probably over half that forward line-up. Glad you have Peter Statsny in there. He's the other forgotten superstar along with Nilsson.

Last edited:
Reactions: amnesiac

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille