Post Draft Organizational Needs

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
I was just trying to think what we would be interested in trading for and we really have a some serious prospect depth at all positions. There are some holes on the big club though. What moves would you guys make to set us up for a future Cup run? My objective would be on the lookout for a pure scorer or two.

LI Fly Guy

Feb 28, 2008
Long Island
I think at this point, the plan has been executed. Time to see it through. Just have to hope Giroux stays healthy once these defensmen come up and start contributing and that Mason keeps playing the way he has since we've traded for him.

Other than that we all know what we have. Ghost is a top pairing guy. Provorov is a sure thing IMHO. Morin, Sanheim, and Myers really only need to be 3/4 which is their floor. MDZ and Gudas already are 3/4, MDZ needs to keep getting better and resign because we can't have 5 out of 6 Dmen all inexperienced. Konecny, Rubstov, Labarge, Allison should be able to fill in nicely as time progresses as well. As of now top 6 winger is a need but Konecny is right at the door step.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Big club needs in ideal world to really compete:

#1/2LW (~25g, ~50+ pts)
#3C (~25-30 pts, great on PK, good D)
#4C (great PKer, good D)
#1D (~40+ points, great D)
Another solid top 4 D man

So ~5 gaps really to fill.

What is great is that when you look at our prospect pool:

Positions that each player has played already and could well be capable of playing in NHL:

Centre:

Rubtsov, Laberge, Vorobyov, Fazleev, Marody, Bunnaman, Dove-McFalls, Laczynski, Salinitri

Left Wing:

Lindblom, Aube-Kubel, Konecny, Leier, Rubtsov, Fazleev, Kase, Bunnaman, Dove-McFalls, Twarynski, Martel, Goulbourne, Salinitri

Right Wing:
Konecny, Laberge, Allison, Lindblom, Aube-Kubel, Kase, Bardreau, Laczynski

Left Defense:

Provorov, Sanheim, Morin, Hagg, Hogberg, Bernhardt, Drake, Amorosa

Right Defense:

Sanheim, Myers, Friedman, Hagg, Willcox

Goalie:

Stolarz, Lyon, Sandström, Hart, Tomek, Madsen, Fedotov

I mean... prospect wise if the Flyers had say another top 6 LW prospect & another top 6 C prospect the pool would be as perfect as pretty much possible!

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Immediate needs: A top 2 line scoring LW, and another skilled center.

I think they have created pretty good breadth organizationally, though.

StateOfHexcellence

Mar 31, 2016
Ashes of Pattison

#1/2LW (~25g, ~50+ pts)
#4C (great PKer, good D)

What is great is that when you look at our prospect pool:

Positions that each player has played already and could well be capable of playing in NHL:

Centre:

Rubtsov, Laberge, Vorobyov, Fazleev, Marody, Bunnaman, Dove-McFalls, Laczynski, Salinitri

Left Wing:

Lindblom, Aube-Kubel, Konecny, Leier, Rubtsov, Fazleev, Kase, Bunnaman, Dove-McFalls, Twarynski, Martel, Goulbourne, Salinitri

Right Wing:
Konecny, Laberge, Allison, Lindblom, Aube-Kubel, Kase, Bardreau, Laczynski

Left Defense:

Provorov, Sanheim, Morin, Hagg, Hogberg, Bernhardt, Drake, Amorosa

Right Defense:

Sanheim, Myers, Friedman, Hagg, Willcox

Goalie:

Stolarz, Lyon, Sandström, Hart, Tomek, Madsen, Fedotov

I mean... prospect wise if the Flyers had say another top 6 LW prospect & another top 6 C prospect the pool would be as perfect as pretty much possible!

great post Appleyard

Old Mother Hubbard is walking to the cupboard and the cupboard ain't so bare......

anymore :)

An old nursery rhyme for you folks ;)

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
This team needs continued patience until the young d comes along. It makes zero sense to sign a UFA right now that will be good in the first half of their contract and a liability in the second half of their contract when this team might actually be in a contending position.

Mjoedgaard

Jul 4, 2013

#1/2LW (~25g, ~50+ pts)
#4C (great PKer, good D)

Is this list outside of what we have?

We already have a #1 LW in Schenn (59 points) and we have #2 LW in Raffl. In todays NHL, 2nd line forward scores around 25-50 points (we are in one of the lowest scoring eras in hockey so 50+ points is 1st line stats).

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Is this list outside of what we have?

We already have a #1 LW in Schenn (59 points) and we have #2 LW in Raffl. In todays NHL, 2nd line forward scores around 25-50 points (we are in one of the lowest scoring eras in hockey so 50+ points is 1st line stats).

Raffl would ideally be a 3rd line winger if we look at the last few cup finalist teams. Schenn for sure put up 1st line production this year. But in an ideal world the Flyers would have another top 6 winger.

If we look at cup finalists since 2011 (pretty much this 'scoring era') and their top 9's PPG projected over 82 here are the medians (wingers are not listed by side in the average, simply 1W, 2W, 3W, 4W... I.E. which winger scored most points):

69.5pts -- 76.5pts -- 59pts
50.5pts -- 57pts -- 44.5pts
38.5pts -- 31pts -- 29.5pts

Ofc not every team is built the same... 4/6 of the cupwinners #2C's in that time had less than 50pts in the season... 4/6 of the cupwinners #3C's in that time had less than 30pts in a season. In these teams cases these C's were generally match-up guys/defensive minded first.

however there are some general trends which are really noticeable:

Of the 12 teams only 2 had a top 6 forward on less that 40pt pace. (Chicago in 2013 with Bolland & L.A. in 2014 with Toffoili.)

Of the 12 teams every single one had a defensively responsible #3C.

As things stand the Flyers only have 3x 40+ point wingers... now ofc they are all well over 40pts, but I doubt it is a coincidence that all but one of the last 12 cup finalists 4th best winger had over 40pts that year, or paced for it.

We have had 3 years now of Raffl pretty much showing us he is a ~30-35 point winger... great 3rd liner but not really good enough offensively to be in a contenders top 6.

Last edited:

Mjoedgaard

Jul 4, 2013
Raffl would ideally be a 3rd line winger if we look at the last few cup finalist teams. Schenn for sure put up 1st line production this year. But in an ideal world the Flyers would have another top 6 winger.

If we look at cup finalists since 2011 (pretty much this 'scoring era') and their top 9's PPG projected over 82 here are the medians (wingers are not listed by side in the average, simply 1W, 2W, 3W, 4W... I.E. which winger scored most points):

69.5pts -- 76.5pts -- 59pts
50.5pts -- 57pts -- 44.5pts
38.5pts -- 31pts -- 29.5pts

Ofc not every team is built the same... 4/6 of the cupwinners #2C's in that time had less than 50pts in the season... 4/6 of the cupwinners #3C's in that time had less than 30pts in a season. In these teams cases these C's were generally match-up guys/defensive minded first.

however there are some general trends which are really noticeable:

Of the 12 teams only 2 had a top 6 forward on less that 40pt pace. (Chicago in 2013 with Bolland & L.A. in 2014 with Toffoili.)

Of the 12 teams every single one had a defensively responsible #3C.

As things stand the Flyers only have 3x 40+ point wingers... now ofc they are all well over 40pts, but I doubt it is a coincidence that all but one of the last 12 cup finalists 4th best winger had over 40pts that year, or paced for it.

We have had 3 years now of Raffl pretty much showing us he is a ~30-35 point winger... great 3rd liner but not really good enough offensively to be in a contenders top 6.

I be honest and say that those medians are higher than I would have thought.

For next year I think Hextall will try and fill a top 6 wing spot with a FA and hopefully in a year or two Konecny can be a top 6 winger (with Rubtsov been 3rd C and Cousins as the 4th C)

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
We've all said that Raffle is a good 3rd liner. He's pushing 2nd line, problem is Flyers just don't have a better player there. Hope is Konecny can grab it, but this is all in the assumption that Coots line turns into the second scoring line after they develop a good defensive 3rd. Nobody is better than Coots in defense right now.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Top six winger and bottom six center is what I'd be looking for. Preferably both, but I'd be happy with either one. After that, I'd do the classic try to find some diamonds in the rough for PTOs or depth contracts in the AHL in case of emergency.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad