Post Concussion Syndrome

getzforfighting*

Any of you guys ever go through this?

Im in my final year junior B hockey, pretty small guy, around 5'8.

Last season, our leagues biggest player, around 6'2-6'3 215-225 or so gave me a big check to the boards. This was in february. I left the ice immediately, but was fine on the way home and played the next week with no real symptoms.

In the summer, I had a couple random little anxiety attacks at more then random times, and also was quiet lightheaded at random times as well.

In the last month or so, I have had trouble with my vision,bright lights, dizziness, concentration, anxiety, being in social settings (without alcohol haha) and have also just felt generally out of place at some points. Funniest part is I havent had any headaches at all.

Anybody have an experience like this they can share. How long until you seen it improve?

Fanned On It

Dec 20, 2011
New York

Last season, our leagues biggest player, around 6'2-6'3 215-225 or so gave me a big check to the boards. This was in february. I left the ice immediately, but was fine on the way home and played the next week with no real symptoms.

In the summer, I had a couple random little anxiety attacks at more then random times, and also was quiet lightheaded at random times as well.

In the last month or so, I have had trouble with my vision,bright lights, dizziness, concentration, anxiety, being in social settings (without alcohol haha) and have also just felt generally out of place at some points. Funniest part is I havent had any headaches at all.

Anybody have an experience like this they can share. How long until you seen it improve?

Dude, honestly it just sounds like you're having some anxiety issues. Dizziness, concentration issues, and trouble being in social situations are all signs of anxiety. The problems with your vision and sensitivity to bright lights is a little odd, though.

You didn't mention if you went to a doctor and actually got diagnosed with a concussion, did you?

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
I've been through PCS myself more times than I should (don't even get me started).

The symptoms you're listing don't match what I was going through really. I know everyone is different but it just sounds like you're experiencing something else. That's just my non-medical-professional observation though.

As for how long it takes? Well, my last concussion was 5 years ago but it was a really bad one. I still get headaches and neck stiffness at least once a week.

kr580

Who knows.
Aug 9, 2009
California
I'm a lot more sensitive to bright lights, loud noises and high pitched noises (especially if they're sudden) after my ~4th concussion that was a doozy. With the sudden changes I get kinda disoriented and have sensory overload for a couple seconds. I don't get any headaches but I do get a sort of discomfort in my head, hard to explain. The earlier concussions didn't give me any noticeable symptoms past a week or so. Your lack of headaches doesn't really mean anything one way or the other.

I agree, if things are bothering you this much you really should go see your doctor. Let them decide how severe (or not) everything is. Could be completely unrelated to your concussion.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Suggest getting appropriate medical opinions and treatment as necessary.

This -- Don't take any medical advice from somebody on a message board seriously. Hell, I wouldn't even take medical advice from anybody on the internet, WebMD, or whatever, seriously. Every case is different, go get checked by a doctor. Your life is worth the trouble and cost involved with going to the doctor.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ

These are neurological symptoms. Concussion related problems can produce personality and mood changes as well. I think as others have advised, you really should see a neurologist, and preferably one with experience in brain trauma and concussion issues. While some of the damage is irreversible, a proper diagnosis will help you prevent further damage, as there is a cumulative effect.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
I've been dealing with it basically for 12 years. I'm 29 now. I took a few really nasty shots in bantam and midget. I still get migraines probably twice a month, but thankfully I haven't had any of the depression issues for at least 6 years.

Basically if you are feeling crappy at all and you think it involves your concussions, go see a doctor. If it's depression, go see a therapist as well as a doctor. They'll probably want you to see a neurologist as well to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad