Music: Post Bad 70s Songs

Say Hey Kid

War, it's just a shot away
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
The mindless lyrics are what make disco so bad. But, y'know, the instrumentation holds up surprisingly well. They used real brass and wind sections back then, which gave those songs a nice texture despite their insipid "Boogie" and "Groove" calls-to-action.
Agreed. In the late 70s the only decent popular music on the radio was the classic rockers, punk/new wave, and some dance music such as Earth, Wind, and Fire.

Xelebes

Jun 10, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm conflicted on this one , would agree with posting in the bad 70's song thread , but put it on one of XTC's first three albums and would probably consider it art rock genius :sarcasm:.
The melody is catchy and agreeable, the words are simple and sappy. The harmonies are actually nice. But what get's me is the structure of the song which is a bit of old fashioned two-bit musical number and the tub-footed rhythm is awful.

Last edited:

Mescaleroman

Jan 13, 2019
Southern Shore

My older brother used to threaten me that he would make me listen to a whole Leo Sayer album if I pissed him off - needless to say , either I never pissed him off , or , I grew stronger than him.

Xelebes

Jun 10, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
The original of The Ballad of Muk Tuk Annie by Jimmy Arthur Ordge was a racist pile of trash. Stompin' Tom actually took a lot of liberties to take away some of the most awful bits.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad