Post 2013 Lockout Forward Tournament: Tyler Seguin Versus Mark Scheifele

Which Player Would You Rather Draft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Since the players involved are at different stages of their careers, the best way to vote is probably by answering this question: If I was a General Manager and I could draft one player for my team (having the knowledge that I have about each player at this point in time), which player would I choose?

Some are more accomplished than others and some have been more injury-prone than others, but under different circumstances, how different could things have been?

Jason Robertson (16-7 in votes - 69.6%)
Johnny Gaudreau

Matthew Tkachuk (17-2 in votes - 89.5%)
Kyle Connor

Sebastian Aho (15-9 in votes - 62.5%)
Mark Stone

Mathew Barzal
Filip Forsberg (28-2 in votes - 93.3%)

Johnathan Huberdeau
William Nylander

Tyler Seguin
Mark Scheifele

Taylor Hall
Clayton Keller

Patrik Laine
Brock Boeser

GlitchMarner

Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Tyler Seguin:

969 GP
351 goals
437 assists
788 points
+74

0.36 GPG
0.45 APG
0.81 PPG

Adjusted:

391 goals
476 assists
867 points

0.40 GPG
0.49 APG
0.89 PPG

Playoffs:

114 GP
20 goals
38 assists
58 points
+3

0.18 GPG
0.31 APG
0.51 PPG

Top tens:

Goals: 4 times (5, 5, 7, 10)

Mark Scheifele

797 GP
297 goals
420 assists
717 points
+65

0.37 GPG
0.53 APG
0.90 PPG

Adjusted:

322 goals
458 assists
780 points

0.40 GPG
0.57 APG
0.98 PPG

Playoffs:

37 GP
19 goals
13 assists
32 points

0.51 GPG
0.35 APG
0.86 PPG

Top tens:

Goals: 1 time (9th)
Assists: 2 times (6th, 8th)

Last edited:

GlitchMarner

Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I'd go with Mark.

Seguin's peak was probably a bit better, but that's really all he has in his favor. Scheifele has been far better in the playoffs on a per game basis. He has almost as many playoff goals in about one third the games. Also seems to be poised to age better.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
Scheifele was projected to be a 2C but basically willed himself to become a top player in the league. He has dieticians, trainers, chefs, skills coaches, etc. His only drive in life is becoming a better hockey player.

Seguin was projected to be an elite 1C and is more naturally talented than Schefele but he doesn't have the same work ethic.

And that explains why Scheifele is better now and especially going forward.

• Haha
Reactions: Spotty 2 Hotty

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Scheifele was projected to be a 2C but basically willed himself to become a top player in the league. He has dieticians, trainers, chefs, skills coaches, etc. His only drive in life is becoming a better hockey player.

Seguin was projected to be an elite 1C and is more naturally talented than Schefele but he doesn't have the same work ethic.

Scheifele might have aged better anyway, but Seguin’s decline was a direct result of a major hip surgery. He was a partier early but I think he’s generally been someone who takes care of his body well too

Reactions: Sports2 and Voight

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX

The fact that Seguin is even playing hockey, let alone effective hockey after his injury and the setbacks from it is amazing. He essentially lost his skating ability, which is what his entire game was based around before then, and had to learn to become a different type of player that was essentially the antithesis to what he began his career as.

Questioning his work ethic is asinine.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Seguin (like Hall from 2010) was an abzolute superstar and top 10-15 player in the league for a while

Injuries resulted in sharp declines for both plauers and low scoring era of hockey resulted in lower numbers for hos career than stars of similar tier in 2020 onwards era

Id build around seguin, hope no major injuries and hopefully keep him in check away from partying/drugs with a couple of strong lockerroom vets

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
With what we know, Schiefele. I remember some folks being surprised when he was drafted by the Jets.

Without knowing how their careers turn out, Seguin easily. Too bad about all those injuries.

Reactions: Sports2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad