Post 2013 Lockout Forward Tournament Tier 1, Round 1: Mitch Marner Versus Brayden Point

Which Player Would You Rather Draft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Since the players involved are at different stages of their careers, the best way to vote is probably by answering this question: If I was a General Manager and I could draft one player for my team (having the knowledge that I have about each player at this point in time), which player would I choose?

Some are more accomplished than others and some have been more injury-prone than others, but under different circumstances, how different could things have been?

Tier 1, Round 1:

Connor McDavid (52 votes to 4 - 92.9%)
Connor Bedard

Nathan MacKinnon (25 votes to 21 - 54.3%
Nikita Kucherov

Auston Matthews (62 votes to 33 - 65.3%)
Leon Draisaitl

Elias Pettersson (32 votes to 27 - 54.2%)
Jack Hughes

Jack Eichel
Aleksander Barkov (16 votes to 0 - 100%)

Kirril Kaprizov (39 votes to 27 - 59.1%)

Mikko Rantanen

David Pastrnak
Artemi Panarin

Mitch Marner
Brayden Point

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
I'm gonna go against the grain and take Marner here.

they both started their careers the same year, career wise, Marner has 89 more points in 4 fewer games.

Marner averages 91 points and 28 goals in 82 games

Point averages 79 points and 37 goals in 82 games

Marner's highest point finishes are 4th and 10th place. For PPG it's 2 8th place finishes.

Point has never finished top 10 in points or PPG in his career, but has finished 5th, 6th and 8th in goals.

Selke finishes are slightly in favour of Marner too. He's finished 3rd and 10th, 14th, 16th in voting. Point has finished 8th, 9th and 10th in voting

Undeniably, Point has been the better playoff performer. 82 points and 40 goals in 82 games. Marner in comparison has 47 points and 10 goals in 50 games.

But Marner's has undeniably been better than Point in the RS.

Marner's 4 highest PPG seasons are better than Point's best. In fact, Marner's 5th highest is right below Point's best.

The noticeable goalscoring edge by Point makes it's closer, but give me the player that's 2 years younger and has outperformed Point over a significantly larger sample size.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad